How to deal with lying buyers? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 10-30-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%
Default How to deal with lying buyers?

So a buyer (on a different platform, but similar and same country) claims to have received a damaged, unsealed (open/used) item. He also claims that it was send in a simple bubble wrapped envelope. He left negative feedback before I was able to reply to his email. In his negative feedback, he claims that ''the overall service was horrible'', but I have never even offered him my assistance to begin with.

In the email he send me, however, he says that the item was 'poorly sealed', while in his negative feedback he claims that it was not sealed at all.

Now I know for a fact that it was sealed (I have a photo of the item). I also know that it was packaged very well and not just in a bubble wrapped envelope. It was put in a bubble wrapped envelope, but I used 3 layers of bubble wrap + a lot of tape before I put it inside the envelope.

He is demanding a full refund of +/- $120 USD (converted) and he wants it immediately.

He is just lying and he is either trying to score a free steelbook, or he wants to harm my business with his negative feedback. Very few people leave feedback on this platform, so now I have 75% positive, before this person left his negative feedback, it was 100% positive.

How do I deal with this? I have never had negative feedback before. I sell on different platforms and have sold similar/same product to different people (from all around the world), and they've all left very positive feedback.

----

(PS: I apologize, I posted this on a different part of this forum as well, but it is an ''isolated'' part, few people watch/read topics over there. This situation might happen on eBay as well, the platforms are just different. Should I contact the marketplace/platform and inform them about this?)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-30-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%
Default Re: How to deal with lying buyers?

I am assuming youre using paypal?

If so, tell him to return the item for a full refund (Let him pay for shipping)
If you have photos, be sure to compare the photos once/if you get your item back to make sure he hasn't swapped it out for a damaged one.

If he used paypal, he will probably just open a claim to get the full amount.
But it sounded like he intended on scamming you and ruining your reputation from the get go.

Possibly a competitor?

Id wait for others to give their advice as well.
Old 10-30-2013
Threadstarter  

No, not PayPal. Everything via Play.com, it's like Amazon, but less known, that's why I opened it here (sorry for that, but I believe it's a common scenario, just a different platform).

I also think it is a competitor who tries to ruin my reputation. I always lower my prices.
Old 10-31-2013
Threadstarter  

Someone? Should I contact Play.com and tell them about the different things he says, about lying about product condition (have photos), about saying that the overall service was horrible, while he left the feedback before I even provided him with my assistance, etc? What to do, please help, this affects my feedback very negatively :(
(From 100% positive to 75% ) :(
Old 10-31-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 64%

Treat it the same way as cjmixers said, it maybe a different platform but the approach to this should be the same.

Tell them they need to post back the item for a full refund (no refund till you receive it) keep it professional and polite with the customer. You can try speaking with play.com customer services about the feedback especially if he insists on a refund before sending the item back but to be honest you need to think if it will be worth it especially if your play.com account is a stealth account. It might bring more attention to the account then that negative is worth.
Old 10-31-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmastermind View Post
Treat it the same way as cjmixers said, it maybe a different platform but the approach to this should be the same.

Tell them they need to post back the item for a full refund (no refund till you receive it) keep it professional and polite with the customer. You can try speaking with play.com customer services about the feedback especially if he insists on a refund before sending the item back but to be honest you need to think if it will be worth it especially if your play.com account is a stealth account. It might bring more attention to the account then that negative is worth.
I already offered him a full refund once the product is returned & received. But he has not replied to that offer yet.

I also send an e-mail to Play.com using a different e-mail address, in which I explain the situation (customer claiming 2 different things in email and feedback, demanding a refund, not speaking the truth about item condition, not replying to my offer).

It is not a stealth account, but my first account.
Old 10-31-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

You have taken initial steps helpmelol - now wait and see what comes back.
Old 10-31-2013
Threadstarter  

The buyer has removed his negative feedback .
Old 11-01-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 64%

Result!