Shipping packages with a different stealth address as return address? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-01-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 56%
Default Shipping packages with a different stealth address as return address?

Will this be a bad idea to ship packages with a stealth address from my real address? Will the post person care if it has a different return address than the one they are picking it up from? Also what about the return address being from entirely a different state?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-01-2015

Default Re: Shipping packages with a different stealth address as return address?

here is what i do. this is my shipping thing

1. i use a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ address so no one ever gets the packages it will just get returned to buyer.

2. make sure you use a same stae and same zip-code for your ⊗⊗⊗⊗ address. make sure it is a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ address just Google map it.

3. i sell items that i don't care if i have to do a refund.

4. if my items sells for like 40 bucks and they don't want it. i tell them they can keep the item and if they like i can send them back 30.00 and there like that's fine. i am still make money on this sale.

5. if you need the item back just tell them to mail it to your real address most of the ebay buyers are lazy and they will be like ok sounds good.

6. get a po box or ups box.

Last edited by animekings99; 05-01-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2015

Longevity: 59%
Send a message via Skype™ to sln531
Default Re: Shipping packages with a different stealth address as return address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknezz19 View Post
Will this be a bad idea to ship packages with a stealth address from my real address? Will the post person care if it has a different return address than the one they are picking it up from? Also what about the return address being from entirely a different state?
You can also print out a packing slip with each item that you go to sell put on packing slip say all returns go to this address or you can go through a company called stamps.com as another option to even be more secure.
Old 05-01-2015

Longevity: 72%

Stamps works, you can use your real address with it so packages come back to you. .

I also just put a sticker over the stealth return address with my return address on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dallis For This Useful Post:
kittylove (05-20-2015)
Old 05-01-2015

Longevity: 77%

I have had a problem dropping packages off with Stealth address's on them, I wouldn't do it.. If you have small packages that you can just drop in the drop box, then that's probly fine..
Old 05-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwuvcurrency View Post
I have had a problem dropping packages off with Stealth address's on them, I wouldn't do it.. If you have small packages that you can just drop in the drop box, then that's probly fine..
just wondering what was the problem u had
The Following User Says Thank You to animekings99 For This Useful Post:
Iwuvcurrency (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015

Longevity: 64%

The post office can't (or shouldn't) say anything about having a different return address. Countless numbers of businesses have warehouses for returns that are spread out in various parts of the country.

One thing you want to make sure is that the originating zip code matches your physical location. Any place where you print labels should have a section for that. Paypal's multi order shipping tool calls it "Originating ZIP code", and Stamps.com labels it as "rate based on origin zip".

Of course, you can just use Stamps.com or a similar service to have your home address on the label instead.
Old 05-01-2015

just say you are drop shipping thats what i say . i have been useing a fofo address for about 7 yesrs . sometimes they ask me i see your mailing address is about an hour from here you can say this .

1 i am drop shipping .

2 the other post office were i used to go to the items were getting lost in the mail or take-in to long to get to the buyer.

3. i work at a ebay store on my way home this is the faster way for me to ship them here

4. most usps works i have talked to dont want to be talked to or anything like that 99% of the time they don't care
Old 05-01-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumsake2 View Post
One thing you want to make sure is that the originating zip code matches your physical location. Any place where you print labels should have a section for that. Paypal's multi order shipping tool calls it "Originating ZIP code", and Stamps.com labels it as "rate based on origin zip".
If I understand you correctly your saying you can use different addresses in your zipcode area only? Anyone using multiple John Doe's on your labels shipping them out of your home address? My post master might be like who the heck are all these people suddenly at this address. Maybe I'm just over thinking this all.
Old 05-01-2015

Longevity: 64%

No the address doesn't have to be in your zip code. Here are screenshots of the section in Paypal's MultiOrder Shipping tool and Stamps.com to illustrate:

For example, if you have a return address in CA, and you are physically located in FL, then you would need to make sure the "originating zip" is your actual zip code in FL and then the return address can be the CA stealth address. The origin zip code is important because some mail classes cost different amounts depending on your physical mailing location and the destination of the package.

But ideally you would have access to the address on your account to avoid any issues. Or at least pay a monthly fee for a service like Stamps.com to have your return address be your actual residence.

Last edited by plumsake2; 05-01-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2015

animekings99
IT wont let me click reply to your message but..
I had multiple stealths and was taking my packages inside the post office..
My town is kind of small so we have one post office with about 3-4 tellers..
After a few months, when dropping off packages, the teller told me to wait here.. and went and got his big boss who tried to take me to an office and told me it was illegal to ship from an address that was not mine. He said I know you do not live at this address.
They even had a problem with me dropping off packages that didn't have MY full name on it. I tried putting my ebay name once and they brung my packages (with a stealth address on them) back to MY home address and dropped all 35 packages off on my doorstep!!
Old 05-02-2015

Longevity: 55%

Nightmare of living in a small town with just the one post office and just a few tellers, leading to that scenario u have described where the boss tried to pull you up on using a different name and address.

Can you access a different post office in the next town, or are the next towns to far away from you to travel to to post your orders off?
Old 05-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Old 05-02-2015

Quote:
animekings99
After a few months, when dropping off packages, the teller told me to wait here.. and went and got his big boss who tried to take me to an office and told me it was illegal to ship from an address that was not mine. He said I know you do not live at this address.
They even had a problem with me dropping off packages that didn't have MY full name on it. I tried putting my ebay name once and they brung my packages (with a stealth address on them) back to MY home address and dropped all 35 packages off on my doorstep!!
i am so sorry about that here are some tips.

1 all way have a first and last name on your return address labels.

2. make sure that address is a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ address you dont want some one to keep getting items they will get freaked out.

3. take your zipcode of were you live go on google ant type your zipcode in then type in usps .

4. stay out of that post office . if you are selling no no items dont ever go ack there again. you need to pm me and i will try to help you.

you showed be able to find a usps store.

here is a store finder

https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocatorAction!input.action

Last edited by animekings99; 05-02-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 51%
Post Re: Shipping packages with a different stealth address as return address?

Quote:
animekings99
The reason for this happening in small/rural post offices across the US is this:
Since 2010 USPS has been under HUGE pressure to consolidate and semi centralize operations at it's 'less performing' offices. For example, prior to 2010 a town with a population of 3-8K people has a post office and probably 3 carriers and 2-3 window clerks. That office would get their bulk mail (and pkgs) in every day at 6am or so. The carriers would sort their mail for their routes, and the window clerks would put the mail up in the po boxes.

In the consolidation of 2010, again for example, the town of 3-8K people I mentioned above, has a larger town or city 10-20 miles away. Instead of sending a truck with daily mail to the 3-8K town, the carriers from the 3-8K town now sort and deliver from the larger town 10-20 miles away, to residences and businesses in the 3-8K town.

This leaves the post office in the 3-8K town, in many cases open only part time...and if full time, they can employ per diem employees as window clerks, who are still government employees...but get ZERO benefits and a much lower pay grade. Many times the post master of these offices is the only employee.

How this affects dropping off packages? When you generate a click and ship label that has a ship from address in the 3-8K town, and it's scanned in there, the post office gets revenue credit for that parcel. If the label was generated with ANY address outside of the zip code of the 3-8K town, even if scanned in there, they get no credit for it.

The bottom line is...these small offices are trying to prevent being closed down, and they gotta show revenue. While it's not 'illegal' to ship parcels with another zip code/address in ANY way (I'm positive of that)...in the case of stealth, it can definitely cause a nosy window clerk to 'VT-99' the address.

If they have already returned parcels to your REAL address...they are on to you. Stay out of that office. Period. Seriously.

I realize I'm new here, but I ASSURE you...I wouln't throw this stuff out there if I didn't know this is 100% accurate. Let's just say I have very intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the USPS for many, many years

Good luck
Old 06-02-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

when u go to pay the postage , assuming you are buying postage from eBay shipping , before u pay, click edit return address, and keep the return address the same to whatever state it is, but there is a SHIP FROM ZIP CODE, and this is where I put the zip code of where I'm shipping from, I never had any linking issue with eBay doing this
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
Bubba19 (04-28-2016), gonzoman (08-12-2017)
Old 06-02-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
when u go to pay the postage , assuming you are buying postage from eBay shipping , before u pay, click edit return address, and keep the return address the same to whatever state it is, but there is a SHIP FROM ZIP CODE, and this is where I put the zip code of where I'm shipping from, I never had any linking issue with eBay doing this
That's a GREAT idea, and the local post office will get the revenue credit for the scan in. The only rub I can see is if the local postmaster is a moron and still insists it's illegal, which it definitely is not. Every situation is different, no question...but in a small town, it's been my experience that postal employees are not your friends on many levels if trying to do anything 'under the radar'

An interesting book about that and many other related subjects is 'How to be Invisible' by J.J. Luna. Very useful in acquiring the mindset of doing stealth business(not just eb/az)
Old 06-03-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Tell them u own the property, or it's a family member that's staying with you and your shipping it for them, let them know the ship from zip is the post office location , so everything is legit if they are that crazy

I live in e city, and once in a while I'll get asked a question, but mainly on "what's this business must be good" if I bring a lot of packages, and they may ask what they are, but out of there own curiosity, I either just completely ignore them or say none of your business's and that's it
Old 06-03-2015

Longevity: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
I like this idea. I live in a small town too, and I would like for my local post office to receive the zip code credit. So you can leave your stealth address the same, but just change the zip code?
Old 06-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by animekings99 View Post
just wondering what was the problem u had

Problem I had was I was taking mine to the counter because my post office doesn't have a big drop box..
Couple weeks go by, and the guy at the counter tells me to wait, goes and gets a manager, and says these are not your address's and you cannot "ship" from them.. Tried to scare me saying its illegal and blah blah.. Next shipment I drop off, they brung ALL of my packages (about 35 that day) and dropped them all on my doorstep! They where all small enough to drop into the regular mailbox..
My city is a little small, also only has 4 tellers at the counter... An they are all noisy..
So now if I have packages big enough that need to be brought in, I put my address and also name.. They have problems with the name too..