The buyer opens SNAD case to request refund on import duties - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-04-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 52%
Default The buyer opens SNAD case to request refund on import duties

The buyer opened a SNAD case to request a refund on import duties

"I bought this item because the price seemed fair and I never imagined I would have to pay extra fees upon delivery. Your listing said FREE SHIPPING and I am disappointed with your service. I expect a refund on the extra hidden fee I paid which was never mentioned on your listing. If I have to return the item, please send me the postage slip as I am not going to pay the post office to send it back."

1. Accepting return is no option since it will force me to pay return postage

2. Escalating is no option since eBay will rule in buyer favor, forcing them to return, then instruct me to refund (this will force buyer to pay return postage, but I will receive a case strike/defect)

3. Last option is not to respond buyer but they will escalate the case any way which brings me back to option 2

How do I resolve this?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 30%
Longevity: 85%
Default Re: The buyer opens SNAD case to request refund on import duties

Contact the buyer, ask them how much the import fee was. Tell them you will send that amount to them and ask them to close the case down.
Old 05-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

ebay 'officially' do not mind you doing this, as I asked about it on chat once and they did it with me over the chat, asked for paypal transaction id of amount of import duty I paid back over (not sure how this would work now with eb/pp split) and then closed the case, as we were on chat, it was escalated case though I think....
Old 05-04-2015
Threadstarter  

The buyer said the import fee was 23 USD
That is too much for me to lose :(
But even if I pay them the import fee, if the buyer closes the case then I am still getting a defect
Old 05-05-2015

Longevity: 58%

I have never clicked the link but there is one in the Global Shipping Program pages.

did you send it by GSP? If so, look around in those GSP return policies. If not....consider useing GSP in the future. Some people recommend against it but not me. All you have to prove it delivery to the shipping center instead of getting slammed becasue something sits in customs for weeks.

BTDT (Been there, done that)
Old 05-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
ebay 'officially' do not mind you doing this, as I asked about it on chat once and they did it with me over the chat, asked for paypal transaction id of amount of import duty I paid back over (not sure how this would work now with eb/pp split) and then closed the case, as we were on chat, it was escalated case though I think....
The split has not happened has it

Or can you predict the future

Old 05-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasks View Post
The buyer said the import fee was 23 USD
That is too much for me to lose :(
But even if I pay them the import fee, if the buyer closes the case then I am still getting a defect
If you are doing drop shipping then YOU must define what happens for buyers.

Anything international must mention that customs duties are the responsbibility of the buyer.
Old 05-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post

Anything international must mention that customs duties are the responsbibility of the buyer.
Agree with GB on this - refund the $23 and thank the buyer...hope for future business etc - keep it simple OP OR...stop these sales
Old 05-05-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post

I have a cousin who does the shipping for me
I read in eBay policy that any buyer complaint that only refers to customs duties isn't covered in the Money Back Program
What happens if I just escalate the case?
Old 05-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
I have a cousin who does the shipping for me
I read in eBay policy that any buyer complaint that only refers to customs duties isn't covered in the Money Back Program
What happens if I just escalate the case?
Let me explain something to you....There are 2 types of buyers.
1. Those who know there might be import fee's and if they see that you have not addressed this in your listing very specifically...will take advantage.

2. Those who have no clue what an import fee is and will still also bring it up and take advantage of the situation.

So, to make it easier on yourself....Make sure to address this on your listing, don't assume people know anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
GhostOfAmazon (05-10-2015)
Old 05-06-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 66%

It is really something that needs to be stated in big bold letters in the description. That you are not responsible for any taxes or duties.

For the specific case you have to do what you think is best. Unfortunately we all have this nonsense happen the best thing we can do is figure out ways best to protect ourselves.
Old 05-06-2015

All of you are wrong about this. Ebay does not appreciate buyers complaining about Import costs. It is stated clearly and plainly when they are buying it. It is not the sellers responsibility to inform their customers about import fees. It is the cost of doing business.

You do not need GSP as suggested. It will make import fees sky rocket AND they will be charged EVERYTIME. forget ever getting Canadian buyers again.

Ebay will close the case in your favor and you will not receive a defect. This is a buyer blatantly not following the rules. They also can not leave feedback if you do it right.

I've not even once had this fail, if the buyer states the reason for the case is import fees. Let alone stating it's SNAD, which would be completely wrong for this situation. And seeing how you are gonna get the defect no matter what in the cases mentioned by the sellers above me, there is nothing wrong with fighting it. Escalate it even.
The Following User Says Thank You to james13v For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
All of you are wrong about this. Ebay does not appreciate buyers complaining about Import costs. It is stated clearly and plainly when they are buying it. It is not the sellers responsibility to inform their customers about import fees. It is the cost of doing business.

You do not need GSP as suggested. It will make import fees sky rocket AND they will be charged EVERYTIME. forget ever getting Canadian buyers again.

Ebay will close the case in your favor and you will not receive a defect. This is a buyer blatantly not following the rules. They also can not leave feedback if you do it right.

I've not even once had this fail, if the buyer states the reason for the case is import fees. Let alone stating it's SNAD, which would be completely wrong for this situation. And seeing how you are gonna get the defect no matter what in the cases mentioned by the sellers above me, there is nothing wrong with fighting it. Escalate it even.
Thank you very much for the insight, I knew I was right! I want to escalate but I worry eBay will force a return (I'll receive a case strike!) because the buyer filed the return within my 14 days return window

In a previous case where the buyer filed a return for "not as described"
I escalated the case and eBay found in buyer's favor forcing a return, and when I tried to appeal they said they can't grant me the appeal because I didn't resolve the issue with the buyer and that my return policy still allowed a return, so they had to force the return

I worry if I escalate the case they will force the return and I will be at fault

Last edited by iasks; 05-06-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2015

Quote:
Thank you very much for the insight, I knew I was right! I want to escalate but I worry eBay will force a return (I'll receive a case strike!) because the buyer filed the return within my 14 days return window

In a previous case where the buyer filed a return for "not as described"
I escalated the case and eBay found in buyer's favor forcing a return, and when I tried to appeal they said they can't grant me the appeal because I didn't resolve the issue with the buyer and that my return policy still allowed a return, so they had to force the return

I worry if I escalate the case they will force the return and I will be at fault
Two things.

If a buyer wants to return something, they will return it. Almost no way to win in a return, especially SNAD. Ebay takes buyers word most of the time. If you didn't fix the issue, then no,t hey won't grant you an appeal typically. The buyer wanted to return the item, there really is no way about that.

If the buyer right now, opened up a SNAD, you are receiving a case strike period. The only way to not get one is to win the case. So worrying about the worse case scenario is pointless, because you're already there.

The buyer is clearly in the wrong, and he ADMITTED to it, in full view of ebay. That's the key. He admitted in the case, that he opened up the case against ebay policy, and you are in the right. He's not asking for a return, so there is no reason would force a return. He wants a partial refund. This is against ebay rules, and is considered extortion.

I'll repeat, seller is in NO WAY responsible to inform buyers of import taxes nor responsible for those said taxes. Ebay informs all buyers, very clearly, before they purchase the item.
The Following User Says Thank You to james13v For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Two things.

If a buyer wants to return something, they will return it. Almost no way to win in a return, especially SNAD. Ebay takes buyers word most of the time. If you didn't fix the issue, then no,t hey won't grant you an appeal typically. The buyer wanted to return the item, there really is no way about that.

If the buyer right now, opened up a SNAD, you are receiving a case strike period. The only way to not get one is to win the case. So worrying about the worse case scenario is pointless, because you're already there.

The buyer is clearly in the wrong, and he ADMITTED to it, in full view of ebay. That's the key. He admitted in the case, that he opened up the case against ebay policy, and you are in the right. He's not asking for a return, so there is no reason would force a return. He wants a partial refund. This is against ebay rules, and is considered extortion.

I'll repeat, seller is in NO WAY responsible to inform buyers of import taxes nor responsible for those said taxes. Ebay informs all buyers, very clearly, before they purchase the item.
The buyer escalated the case and I just received eBay's judgement by email, they closed the case with no one at fault! They refunded the buyer and didn't charge my account. It was a high feedback buyer and perhaps they wanted to settle the issue on my behalf rather than a disappointed buyer

What if the buyer now leaves me a negative feedback? because I didn't win the case they can still leave me a negative
Old 05-11-2015

Quote:
The buyer escalated the case and I just received eBay's judgement by email, they closed the case with no one at fault! They refunded the buyer and didn't charge my account. It was a high feedback buyer and perhaps they wanted to settle the issue on my behalf rather than a disappointed buyer

What if the buyer now leaves me a negative feedback? because I didn't win the case they can still leave me a negative
I'm not sure about that one. And ugh, a high feedback buyer, being too ignorant to know about import taxes... Perhaps you're right, they just wanted to appease him. I do not think he can still leave negative feedback. But if he does, I'd dispute it. And hope that he says something about taxes in the feedback.

DISGUSTING that they'd give him his money back! For what?!?!
Old 05-14-2015

so what happened?
Old 05-14-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
so what happened?
so here's what happened: the buyer said they were happy with the response and the full refund (despite that eBay issued it) and eventually gave me a positive feedback, totally unexpected!
Later after a few emails I exchanged with eBay they removed the defect and everything turned out well!
I appreciate all your insight and support on this matter you were of great help and motivation!