Global Shipping: scam or slam - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-01-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 49%
Default Global Shipping: scam or slam

is this costeffective
alternatives
any stealth issues
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Global Shipping: scam or slam

I ship globally and do pretty well with it. Sometimes things get lost, sometimes I get scammed when a parcel is only tracked until it leaves USA. Overall though, I am a fan.

The only stealth issue would be an incorrect return address if a buyer wants to return something, but that also applies to domestic sales.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (12-05-2015)
Old 12-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

I haven't looked to using this service yet.
Old 12-01-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Oh, if you were talking about eBay's "Global Shipping Program", it sucks. You used to be able to use it for tons of countries. These days not so much. There are hardly any countries left you can use it with. Maybe 1 out of 100 of my international sales goes to a country where I can use GSP.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

It works pretty well for me. When I was enrolled it provided a nice boost in sales as I didn't offer international postage on my larger/heavier items.

I've only had 2 returns. I handled both just like a UK return. There's really no difference.
Old 12-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_smile View Post
It works pretty well for me. When I was enrolled it provided a nice boost in sales as I didn't offer international postage on my larger/heavier items.

I've only had 2 returns. I handled both just like a UK return. There's really no difference.
More details please?

Who pays/charges the shipping? Does eBay eat the cost? Do you pay more for the service? Does it work like FBA?
Old 12-02-2015
just_smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAmazon View Post
More details please?

Who pays/charges the shipping? Does eBay eat the cost? Do you pay more for the service? Does it work like FBA?
Say you're selling an item for $50 including shipping . An international buyer sees your item and buys it via the GSP.

You, as the seller, receive the $50. You then send the item to the GSP centre which will be in your own country. Once tracking shows as delivered to the GSP centre, it's job done.

All international shipping charges and import costs are added on to the price at the start, the buyer sees the price and decides whether to buy or not. The seller does not deal with any of that.

It free to enroll.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

It's very expensive for the buyer, speaking as someone who's purchased from UK several times and had it shipped via global shipping.
The Following User Says Thank You to ovidiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015

Longevity: 63%

one word it is.. terrible,
all that happens is you send item to ebay shipping centre they post it via tracked mail and give that tracking number to buyer and seller,
if your parcel getts lost or taskes a long time you have to deal with the buyer's many questions despite knowing nothing about the service ebay used to send it, despite the fact you completed your contract shipping the item to the shipping address centre ebay said to send it to.

it for me never added any value really and i found no increase in end item costs really..but up to you though if you want it go for it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckoftheirish93 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (12-05-2015), ovidiu (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

Wont touch it with a 100 mile pole.

I get enough customers in the US that I dont have to offer it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigCJ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

So from the sounds of it, it's really only useful to the people who don't know how or hate shipping internationally. Otherwise, you can do it faster and cheaper yourself.
Old 12-02-2015

Longevity: 48%

I usually found it a hassle to ship internationally, if the item gets damaged, the return shipping is so high, a lot of times, it is just better to give it for free. That never really bode well for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to artlabs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

So from the sounds of it, it's really only useful to the people who don't know how or hate shipping internationally. Otherwise, you can do it faster and cheaper yourself.

For sure. There are a couple different companies involved in a single shipment, possibly, and each one wants their cut. Adds up. Every time I've purchased something that went through this program, the shipping charges were shockingly high and the service wasn't actually particularly fast.
xhan (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovidiu View Post

For sure. There are a couple different companies involved in a single shipment, possibly, and each one wants their cut. Adds up. Every time I've purchased something that went through this program, the shipping charges were shockingly high and the service wasn't actually particularly fast.
Personally I don't ship anything internationally unless it can fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope. It's $25 anywhere in the world, save Canada, it's cheaper to be shipped there, although I don't know by how much. Also, it includes tracking (or at least Delivery Confirmation) free of charge.
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostOfAmazon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Actually, only the countries that actually have delivery confirmation listed as available when you buy the postage have real DC, especially for the flat rate envelope. If your label prints out with a customs number (usually starting with L), you do NOT have real DC and it may NOT be scanned in at all or possibly only a few times along the way.
GhostOfAmazon (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovidiu View Post
Actually, only the countries that actually have delivery confirmation listed as available when you buy the postage have real DC, especially for the flat rate envelope. If your label prints out with a customs number (usually starting with L), you do NOT have real DC and it may NOT be scanned in at all or possibly only a few times along the way.
I was unaware of this.

Can you send me a link of countries that have DC?
Old 12-03-2015
just_smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAmazon View Post
I don't know about your country, but shipping certain items (depending on weight/size) can cost a fortune in the UK.

The GSP takes that risk out of losing the postage should the buyer request a refund.
Old 12-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

I was unaware of this.

Can you send me a link of countries that have DC?

It's screwed up, there is no definitive answer and no list that I am aware of. The USPS claims that tracking is not available, period, on flat rate priority mail international ENVELOPE, when this is clearly INCORRECT. ALL Priority Mail International labels to UK, Canada, and Australia, for example, regardless of the packaging type, receive free delivery confirmation which is marked as such on the label.

I shipped something to South Africa two months ago, and it was a regular customs number without de facto tracking. It never showed up as delivered even though the customer eventually indicated he got it after complaining where it went (I told him to check with customs and local PO).

I just shipped to Sweden and no real tracking, just customs number. It's all over the place. Only UK, Canada, and Australia, that I know of, have it all the time. I believe Germany and France might, as well. Italy DOES NOT have delivery confirmation on either first class int'l package or Priority Mail flat rate envelope, just customs number.

My solution for this is to require Express Mail Int'l starting at $45 for higher value items on eBay (over $100). No one has ever left negative feedback or complained about the pricing. Of course, I always select to display the postage cost on the label.
Old 12-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckoftheirish93 View Post
one word it is.. terrible,
all that happens is you send item to ebay shipping centre they post it via tracked mail and give that tracking number to buyer and seller,
if your parcel getts lost or taskes a long time you have to deal with the buyer's many questions despite knowing nothing about the service ebay used to send it, despite the fact you completed your contract shipping the item to the shipping address centre ebay said to send it to.

it for me never added any value really and i found no increase in end item costs really..but up to you though if you want it go for it
You very smart buyer. Everything this guy says is genius ...........
apart from his advice
Old 12-03-2015

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Box Man View Post
You very smart buyer. Everything this guy says is genius ...........
apart from his advice
yes i am great, and very clever

thank you burger box boy
Old 12-05-2015

Activity: 28%
Longevity: 90%

Take my advice,Never Ever use it. From my point ebay makes a profit out of it so they are promoting it as hard as they could(sometimes they just sneak it into ur listing with out any notification). And what happens afterwards? they international buyer will pay substantially higher price for you item(ebay will charge a custom duty and shipping cost from them) and guess who will get hurt? The seller, YOU, you sale will decrease substantially as long as there is any competition of the product you are selling). SO DEF A NONO FOR ME.
Old 12-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

imo, it's a huge scam. It drives all international buyers away especially when they see the atrocious amount of tax you have to pay on checkout