Moving soon - suggestions for the transition? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Moving soon - suggestions for the transition?

I just paid for our new house (THANK YOU EBAY) and we will be moving all of our stuff over the next couple weeks. I'm looking forward to the move but I'm a bit worried about one of my accounts.

My best performing and oldest active account has always used our current home IP. All our other accounts are on dedicated VPN's so I don't think I'll face any obstacles with those. What do you guys/gals think would be the smoothest way for me to transition an extremely busy (and thus prone to security measures) account from our old home IP to our new home IP?

I'm already planning to call Monday to have internet turned on at the new place. So I will be paying double internet bills for a month, but I think it's well worth it to protect the account. I'm thinking I will very slowly start logging into both the EB and PP account at the new home IP, while still doing all of the work on the old IP. At least for a few days. Then as we get our office moved I'm thinking I will slowly start printing labels, responding to messages, etc, at the new home IP.

My goal is to make it clear to both EB and PP that we are moving, and that it's me accessing my account from both IP's. Unfortunately I know the chances are slim I'll be able to smoothly transition to the new IP without any interference from EB/PP.

So I'm reaching out to you mysterious people. Does anyone have experience managing a high-traffic account during a move?

Ebay calls me all the time so I know I have a valid phone number on file with them. Everyone knows how hard it is to add a new phone number to Paypal though. So I don't think they would have any way to reach me (by phone, like Ebay).

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I could struggle through this on my own but I would really like some reassurance!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-17-2016
MU

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 52%
Default Re: Moving soon - suggestions for the transition?

I dont forsee any problems. I found out my gf was on one of my stealths logging in from her ip which is a banned address. I didnt know she was logging in from home monitoring it as well as me monitoring at home. So I doubt you will have any problems?

If your that scared and using the same isp, just lock in your modem to whatever mac addy you are using currently using. this should in theory lock in the ip. Then take router to new ip and in theory should still have same ip.

I have done it with my isp and successfully carried my router with me and maintained same ip at 3 different address all because the router was locked in for the same mac.
Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

I know Ebay isn't as strict with IP's as they used to be. My primary concern is the Paypal account since it doesn't have a good number attached.

I will not have the same ISP, so if I tried hooking up my Comcast modem at the new place it would just confuse the modem. The IP I'm currently using is and will forever be in Comcast's IP pool, unfortunately.
Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

@phaZorz, if you are using the SAME computer with cookies in place, you may find that moving to a new IP will not give big issues. When I moved operations from one city to another, IP changed completely but cookies in place, same computer used I did not get eb and pp issues.

Mind you, my accounts were not extremely busy as yours but listings were made everyday, shipping on the regular, eb and pp accessed on a rotating daily schedule. The account activity was high - sales on the regular.

@phaz0rz, still using the same IP provider as your old home though?
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thank you rsot, your post was actually quite reassuring.

I won't be using the same ISP unfortunately. My modem is leased anyway so I will be returning that to Comcast when I move. If Comcast were available where we are moving I would just sign up for that and keep the same modem. But Comcast isn't available there :(.

I will be using the same laptop/browser and everything else though, so hopefully this will go relatively smoothly.
Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%

I moved last month and I never had any problems with any of my accounts. No problems from eBay, no problems from PP.

I went from Virgin Broadband to EE MiFi and never had any problems in terms of taking money out, or making other transactions.

I might have been lucky, who knows but my thinking behind it was rather simple: As long as I use same computer and user accounts and its just the IP thats changing, then its just like getting Fresh IP from MAC address change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Haidukken For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

No problems at all.

Odds are your comcast IP has not stayed the same over the years anyways, 70% of ebay users use mobile and have a new IP every time they log in.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Alright thanks guys. I'm feeling a lot better about the chances of this going smoothly now.

I'll post up if I run into any issues!
Old 07-17-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

The worst thing that could happen is you get asked to verify your phone number, which is very unlikely unless you've moved out of the country. Even then, you have the phone number so all should be okay.

On the other hand, if PayPal ask for the phone number, you will struggle.

By the way, why are you having difficulty adding another number to PayPal? I've done it many times (PayPal UK)
Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

By-the-way, Congrats!

Hopefully pulling all that cash out of your business will not slow you down at all.

Really great reading reports like this!
Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
By the way, why are you having difficulty adding another number to PayPal? I've done it many times (PayPal UK)
Unfortunately it's not that simple in USA :(

They will let you add phone numbers all day. They will even let you make a new number your primary number. But when one of their security checks pop up where they want to call or text you, the only number they will do it with is the number the account was created with. There isn't ANY way around it. I've been unable to add a new bank account for like 8 months now.

I'm not sweating it though. All of my cookies will be intact and everyone uses mobile internet. So I'm thinking if only the IP changes, I'll be alright.

If I make a freak out thread in a couple weeks, then I ran into trouble.
Old 07-17-2016

Longevity: 73%

I use mifi, frontier, zito , not a problem across the board..
Old 07-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
There isn't ANY way around it. I've been unable to add a new bank account for like 8 months now.

\
That is crazy. Longest I have been locked out was a few hours without having the number.
Old 07-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Yeah like others have said, I wouldn't worry too much about it, people move all the time, and congrats on the house that's awesome!!
The Following User Says Thank You to 123 For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016

Longevity: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
No problems at all.

Odds are your comcast IP has not stayed the same over the years anyways, 70% of ebay users use mobile and have a new IP every time they log in.
Mobile generates a new ip every time? Can you elaborate on why that is? I was worried about a small handful of ip mishaps early on, but was always mobile.
Old 07-18-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
By-the-way, Congrats!

Hopefully pulling all that cash out of your business will not slow you down at all.

Really great reading reports like this!
Thank you yankee, it really means a lot.

Since the closure of my BoA account I've come up with a great way of paying myself, while still keeping enough money in the business to keep it steadily growing. I have 3 business accounts which I primarily sell from. One of which (the most active) is used solely to pay suppliers. I pay them with Paypal because that's the account I haven't been able to add a new bank to. The 2nd account is used solely to fund postage for all accounts, and the 3rd pays me a few g's per week :D

It will be a hassle at tax time but I've run it all by my tax guy and he gave me the thumbs up.

I've been slowly saving over the past few years, so I technically won't be touching any business money. It's all in one personal savings account.
Old 07-18-2016

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Your question was well answered and its good with paypal that you have the same computer with paypals data, i would maybe wait 2 days before transferring any money to your bank account or vendors or whatever, log in and out several times over a couple days with the new IP
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (07-18-2016)