Postage weight question - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-14-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 50%
Default Postage weight question

Most of my items are light..within the 7-12oz range, so when I print a label through ebay I approximate the oz for first class...so if the package is actually 5oz I may put 3oz or 8oz..since I dont have the time to really weight them one by one.

Anyway..this has never been an issue for any post office I have gone through they always scan my package and its fine...but I went to a different post office the other day and the guy refused to scan my item because he said the weight on the label is different than the actual weight.

I have never had issues except for this one guy..does it really need to be exactly the same number even if its off by 4 or 5oz?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%
Default Re: Postage weight question

Find another Post Office.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (07-14-2016), nodeal (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

I cant believe you are still going to a post office.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (07-14-2016), phaz0rz (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Just get a little scale! I mean c'mon, that's just laziness. You're risking your packages being returned to sender or arriving at their destination postage due.

Also just for the record, anything 1-3oz costs $2.45 and anything 4-8oz costs $2.60 with the new rates. Anything I'm shipping in the 4-8oz range goes out with an 8oz shipping label, and anything in the 1-3oz range goes out with a 3oz label. Why not play it safe when it costs the same anyways..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
miketyson (07-14-2016), yankee (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 62%

I almost never put the exact postage and I never have a problem. Find a drop off facility with a dock (it's usually a main facility in your area that all the other mail trucks drop off mail to from the smaller PO facilities). They never have time to scan each package individually, never mind weighing each one.

Seriously weighing each package to an exact amount would be an incredible waste of time and energy.
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Scale for sale, Very accurate!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
rakesh (07-14-2016), Retailer77 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Seriously weighing each package to an exact amount would be an incredible waste of time and energy.
You can get in trouble with USPS if postal inspectors catch on. I doubt you're doing anything on a large enough scale to be noticed, but I'm just saying. They can deny you service if they want..

Personally I know exactly what 95% of my orders weigh without using a scale. But I never hesitate to pull out the scale if I'm not sure. I have had packages arrive postage due, and I have had stuff sent all the way back to me with a postage due sticker. It makes customers mad.
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

It is incredibly unprofessional not to know what your packages weigh and have them show up postage due or come back for insufficient postage.

Does Best Buy or Walmart have these issues? Amazon? Of course not. They operate like a business and not a hack.

If you cant spend a few seconds to know your products weight then go get a job because being a lazy ass slob makes the rest of us look bad. How hard is it to type 8 or 3 or 16 etc...We are talking pennies to possibly cheat the system.

This thread is so incredibly stupid and annoying. Now I am going back on my forum sabbatical. See you all in a few weeks LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (07-14-2016), phaz0rz (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
I cant believe you are still going to a post office.....
Yankee I believe i explained before why I need to go to the post office..
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retailer77 View Post
Yankee I believe i explained before why I need to go to the post office..
and we all explained why you would be so much better off if you did not......
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post

A zealous USPS Postal Inspector finding out the prices are inaccurate will mean more than a waste of your time and energy.

These dudes dislike the service being abused.

Old 07-14-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
and we all explained why you would be so much better off if you did not......
Not really..you stated its better to have a carrier come direct to you and print a master label...I cannot afford that..my average cost product is $400.

When i go to the post office at least I get a printed receipt of every single item with tracking on it...so if a package gets lost in transit and shows as never getting a single scan I have proof that I did in fact drop it off to the p.o. with that receipt
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Can't have your Cake and Eat it Too.....
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
Retailer77 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016
MU

Longevity: 52%

All the trolls going to hate me, but I run the post office myself. I'm kinda in a small town. Post office is only 1/2 mile from house. And max I ever taken was 30 items to be scanned in individually as I dont use the bulk mailing feature so no master ticket.

It has saved my ass many times. I cant count how many times a package got lost or what not. I may not win with ebay, but sure as **** I got the $50 free insurance with priority covered it. as most items are 50 or under.

I actually am on speaking terms name to name with my local post master as well as the other employee.

Also the receipt saved my ass with buyers.

We had a glitch where even know Mr Bob was scanning **** in, the system was not showing it. Sometimes tracking wouldn't show nothing till it was delivered, one scan. Or maybe a scan at the disbursement facility. Having the receipt made the buyers more comfortable it wasnt a scam. It was because they updated the postal software and the system was glitching.

Cause Im not sure if you know this, but a buyer can open a not received item case holding your funds till its delivered exactly 24 hours after purchase! I personally hate that.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeanbean0109 For This Useful Post:
Retailer77 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Not really..you stated its better to have a carrier come direct to you and print a master label...I cannot afford that..my average cost product is $400.

When i go to the post office at least I get a printed receipt of every single item with tracking on it...so if a package gets lost in transit and shows as never getting a single scan I have proof that I did in fact drop it off to the p.o. with that receipt
You can print a master paper with all of the scans on 1 paper. When the postal dude/chick comes to you, they will scan each bar code.
Old 07-14-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanbean0109 View Post
All the trolls going to hate me, but I run the post office myself. I'm kinda in a small town. Post office is only 1/2 mile from house. And max I ever taken was 30 items to be scanned in individually as I dont use the bulk mailing feature so no master ticket.

It has saved my ass many times. I cant count how many times a package got lost or what not. I may not win with ebay, but sure as **** I got the $50 free insurance with priority covered it. as most items are 50 or under.

I actually am on speaking terms name to name with my local post master as well as the other employee.

Also the receipt saved my ass with buyers.

We had a glitch where even know Mr Bob was scanning **** in, the system was not showing it. Sometimes tracking wouldn't show nothing till it was delivered, one scan. Or maybe a scan at the disbursement facility. Having the receipt made the buyers more comfortable it wasnt a scam. It was because they updated the postal software and the system was glitching.

Cause Im not sure if you know this, but a buyer can open a not received item case holding your funds till its delivered exactly 24 hours after purchase! I personally hate that.
PRECISELY my point...Thank you.
Old 07-14-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Ah Retailer77 - from earlier posts, you seem like you have a large profit margin if I recall correctly, no? Why skimping?
Old 07-14-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Ah Retailer77 - from earlier posts, you seem like you have a large profit margin if I recall correctly, no? Why skimping?
Small margin high volume
Old 07-15-2016
Executive [VIP]

For a dude who claims to sell close to a million dollars a year with no helpers you certainly have a lot of time to waste.

And again, WHAT DOES THIS RECEIPT DO FOR YOU?

You do realize that a SCAN ACCEPTANCE is all that matters and that for insurance they use the TRACKING number and not a receipt that proves how much time you have to waste going and standing in line at the post-office? An end of day form will show acceptance even for items not actually picked up by USPS? In your brain, how is this a risk? Seriously, what goes on in your brain to not understand this incredibly simple aspect?

What makes you think that you need a piece of paper when the largest businesses in the word dont? Can you imagine Under Armour standing in line at the post office of Fedex waiting for worthless paper receipt? Do you think Amazon stands in line at the post office to gather this piece of paper.

When was the last time that ebay sided with you because you had a piece of paper and not looked at the tracking number? When you submit a claim, do they look at the acceptance and delivery, AKA tracking number or the piece of paper? When an item does not arrive that you buy, do you ask the seller for the piece of paper or do you look at the tracking number? Do you have a hatred for trees and feel the need to kill as many as possible by gathering as many postal receipts as possible? Do you collect said receipts and recycle them for a profit? Do you make a collage with postal receipts for home/office decor? Guinness book of world records have a USPS receipt hording record you are trying to break?

I ask these questions in 100% seriousness because I have no idea what you would ever at any time in your life do with this piece of paper?

Time to use the ignore function.

Last edited by yankee; 07-15-2016 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Sounded to much like the missed realdeals Sorry brother. My bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Small margin high volume
Do you EVER consider changing methods to have less worries?

Old 07-15-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
For a dude who claims to sell close to a million dollars a year with no helpers you certainly have a lot of time to waste.

And again, WHAT DOES THIS RECEIPT DO FOR YOU?

You do realize that a SCAN ACCEPTANCE is all that matters and that for insurance they use the TRACKING number and not a receipt that proves how much time you have to waste going and standing in line at the post-office? An end of day form will show acceptance even for items not actually picked up by USPS? In your brain, how is this a risk? Seriously, what goes on in your brain to not understand this incredibly simple aspect?

What makes you think that you need a piece of paper when the largest businesses in the word dont? Can you imagine Under Armour standing in line at the post office of Fedex waiting for worthless paper receipt? Do you think Amazon stands in line at the post office to gather this piece of paper.

When was the last time that ebay sided with you because you had a piece of paper and not looked at the tracking number? When you submit a claim, do they look at the acceptance and delivery, AKA tracking number or the piece of paper? When an item does not arrive that you buy, do you ask the seller for the piece of paper or do you look at the tracking number? Do you have a hatred for trees and feel the need to kill as many as possible by gathering as many postal receipts as possible? Do you collect said receipts and recycle them for a profit? Do you make a collage with postal receipts for home/office decor? Guinness book of world records have a USPS receipt hording record you are trying to break?

I ask these questions in 100% seriousness because I have no idea what you would ever at any time in your life do with this piece of paper?

Time to use the ignore function.
Please see Jean beans post above...my point is really simple

A courtier comes to your order for example...scans your master label...you jump on ebay and realize the item does not show as scanned and still says manifest after 10 days..the buyer now opens a claim item not received.
I'm not talking about ebay here...I am talking about getting insurance from the POST OFFICE...does the courier give you ANY type of proof that he did in fact receive every single one of your items??? No....so when you take a lovely drive to the post office or call your post office they will not give you squat if you try to claim insurance because as far as they are concerned they NEVER EVEN RECEIVED OR SCANNED YOUR PACKAGE...this is where the RECEIPT COMES IN HANDY...YOU HAVE PROOF THAT YOUR ITEM WAS IN FACT SCANNED IN BY A USES WORKER ON A SPECIFIC DATE ....I'm not sure why YOU cannot understand this simple concept...and I say this in "ALL SERIOUSNESS" as well
Old 07-15-2016
Executive [VIP]

Because it is stupid to imagine this happens on a regular bases or even once a year AND again, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE RECEIPT?

Seriously? What do you do with it? THE ANSWER IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. This whole concept is moronic. Nothing you can do with it at all. Seriously, what have you done with it so far? We both know the answer is nothing to date and you never will. It is not handy because YOU HAVE NEVER ONCE USED IT.

DUDE, Straight up, the one package that you claim you dropped off and was never once scanned ever, That was YOUR MISTAKE. I have shipped hundreds of thousands of packages in the past decade or so and never one time have had a package vanish unless it was my staffs fault. No scan of any kind is either you loosing a package yourself or a bad label that is not scan-able. So many Post offices handle a single package that some scan is going to happen.

The dude above who admittedly sells super small volume even stated his packages showed delivery.

How the hell do you expect to operate a business wasting time with stupid crap that you post about weekly? You worry about the most silly of things such as this absolutely useless piece of paper. Do you have a box truck that you drive to each Post Office? or a Van because with the volume you talk about, you must need one.....

All rhetorical. No need to respond and I wont see it anyways.