Ebay saying Paypal makes no money off holding our funds. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > Auction Listing > eBay News

eBay News Do you have News About eBay? Spill it!

Old 03-11-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 89%
Default Ebay saying Paypal makes no money off holding our funds.

A NOTE FROM MICHAEL JONES, VICE PRESIDENT OF MERCHANT DEVELOPMENT

Michael Jones
To our customers,
Recently we’ve received some questions from sellers about when and why eBay or PayPal may require sellers to keep money in their accounts—commonly called a “hold.” So I wanted to take a minute to explain and hopefully clear up any confusion. You can also get more information about this in a related blog post from my PayPal colleague Ed Eger.
Trust is absolutely critical in a marketplace, and eBay and PayPal strive to provide buyers and sellers a consistent experience they can count on. Programs like eBay Buyer Protection, eBay’s Top-Rated Seller program and policies like holds are intended to do just that—ensure a trusted experience that buyers expect, which encourages them to shop more with the sellers who use our services.
We take protection and security very seriously around here, which is why like other companies in our industry we have a standard holds policy in place. PayPal may require that sellers hold money in their accounts temporarily if we believe there is a higher risk that there will be issues with their transactions—things like buyer claims, complaints, chargebacks, or even fraudulent access to the seller’s account.
When sellers experience a hold, we want to help them get access to their money as quickly as possible. That’s why we ask sellers to ship their items quickly and provide tracking information. In the vast majority of these cases, when sellers follow these guidelines, their money is available within 3-6 days. Longer holds may apply if best practices aren’t followed or if there are other buyer claims that haven’t been resolved. Although most of our sellers deliver their items quickly, our policies are intended to make sure that this happens consistently, and that buyers receive what they paid for.
We’re very proud of the improvements we’ve made in delivering more trusted experiences to our customers. Raising standards to increase trust, consistency and reliability are driving strong performance. In Q4 2011, eBay’s top-rated sellers saw 20 percent growth. In short, it looks like our efforts are leading to more sales. We’ll continue to refine our filters and our approach to supporting good sellers and delivering good buyer experiences.
We’ve also heard some speculation that eBay and PayPal are requiring sellers to hold money in their accounts so that we can earn interest on the funds. This couldn’t be farther from the truth.
PayPal has always stored balances (including held balances) in FDIC-insured bank accounts, which earn a modest interest rate. To eliminate any confusion with our customers over the intent of our policy, we have decided to move the equivalent amount of money of our total “held balances” to a non-interest bearing account. We hope that this clarifies the intent of our policies, which we believe have always been transparent: to ensure a trusted experience that buyers expect and to encourage increased sales for our merchants and sellers.
We want every customer on eBay to have a great experience. For buyers, this means quality merchandise and selection, great customer service, and fast shipping. For sellers, it’s increased sales and better buyer experiences. I want you to know that we are working hard to keep pace with consumer expectations and making eBay a more attractive shopping destination—and that benefits all eBay buyers and sellers.
Thanks,
Michael Jones
Vice President,
Merchant Development
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-11-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

This topic has already been discussed
Old 03-11-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

One way to find out is to see their Financial Statements. It might give an insight on how they handle our money.
Old 03-11-2012

Longevity: 79%

For once I believe them, I really don't think they do.
Old 03-11-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

"PayPal has always stored balances (including held balances) in FDIC-insured bank accounts, which earn a modest interest rate"

So the answer is yes you make interest?

"PayPal may require that sellers hold money in their accounts temporarily if we believe there is a higher risk that there will be issues with their transactions—things like buyer claims, complaints, chargebacks, or even fraudulent access to the seller’s account."

I have major problems with this because EVERYTHING seems to be high risk to them.
Old 03-11-2012

Longevity: 95%

Yeah like ebay would relly tell people that they was makeing money off the holds and all the 10000s of limited accounts. I bet they do make money on this.

There only saying that to cover up the rumors thats on the web about it
Old 03-11-2012

Longevity: 82%

Bull****, I don't care what they say, pp is making money off held payments. Which is why there is no rhyme or reason for the majority of money that's being held.

I can maybe understand the 21-day hold on new accounts but, money being held for 180 days on closed accounts is nonsense. You closed my ****ing account give me my money right now.

They "say" it's for credit card charge backs, tell me guys how many times on a limited stealth pp did ANY buyer request a charge back? NEVER

-Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to jamblix For This Useful Post:
bansheezone (03-12-2012)
Old 03-11-2012

Longevity: 76%

"PayPal may require that sellers hold money in their accounts temporarily if we believe there is a higher risk that there will be issues with their transactions—things like buyer claims, complaints, chargebacks, or even fraudulent access to the seller’s account."

I've had well over 250 sales through paypal with just one account with never a chargeback or any complaints or any issues whatsoever.

I would think that i'm not a risk to them....all my items are between 10-20 dollar items with the occasional 40 dollar item.

They ain't holding my money because i'm a risk.

They hold millions of dollars of our money

of course they make money on holding our money. it only makes sense to me.

If i put money in a bank for any amount of time....do i make interest.....duhh

Even its a little bit per person,,,,,,,it's going to add up quick

If i could just figure out how to get people to let me hold many millions of THEIR money for 3 weeks(every day)... or even the 180 hold......i think i could figure a way to to make a few bucks

I do have one account that dont have a limit, but damm, its ruff to get a new account going without restrictions.

I'm going on 11 months now with 2 ste alths and i can still only sell 80 items 4.9 4.9 5 5 100%fb for both

if i dont get a raise at the end of this month, i think i've maxed out these two stealths i guess...i didn't get any raise last month...grrrrr

Probly the same staff that raises the limits, are the same ones making up all the new crazy rules.

nuff rant.....

good luck
Old 03-12-2012

Longevity: 75%

I've said it before and I will say it again

Ebays focus is on the buyer and anything they perceive that will assist buyers or make them feel better they will implement.

It's the buyers who make Ebays profit - not the sellers.

They can always get more sellers but they cannot always get more buyers

Unpallatable but in my opinion the root of all our problems.

Too many buyers have been ripped off so Ebay they go for those who they perceive as doing the ripping off - and we all get caught in the shrapnel and the blast.
Old 03-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,935 Times in 8,226 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

/quote

Trust is absolutely critical in a marketplace

/quote

PayPal has always stored balances (including held balances) in FDIC-insured bank accounts, which earn a modest interest rate.

...Modest interest rate x millions of dollars...do the math =)
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
bansheezone (03-12-2012)