Should I refund him? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Introductions > eBay & Paypal Horror Stories

eBay & Paypal Horror Stories Do you have an eBay or Paypal horror story? This is the place to tell it!

Old 03-08-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default Should I refund him?

So there's a guy who bought an Adobe Photoshop CS4 from me in Nov 2009. Last week he emailed me and told me that the serial number did not work. So I tried to find him some serial number off the internet and sent them to him. Today, he said none of the serial numbers worked and he wanted a refund.

I'm still debating if I should refund him or not. In my auction, I gave 30 days refund or exchange period and this period has already passed obviously. I cannot return it to my vendor for the same reason. So if I refund him that will be $200 out of my own pocket. Can he still make a claim against me through PayPal?

Any suggestion? Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 99%

Well it should work unless its ⊗⊗⊗⊗! Why did he wait a week? Why would you give him a illegal serial off the internet? Is it even a real box item? This is so wrong.......is that even a legit version of cs4 your selling??? Your vendor sounds bull and screwed you over!
Old 03-08-2010
Threadstarter  

Well it was not legit software but if he emailed me sooner I could have get a refund from my vendor. Now after 4 months of purchase he requested a refund. And you are right about my vendor, he screwed me and gave me a lot of trouble of returning and exchanging so I stopped dealing with him no more.
Old 03-08-2010
Threadstarter  

Also who knows if he was telling the truth. May be he just need the software for a project and now the project is done so he does not need the s/w any more.
Old 03-08-2010

he probably used the serial but of course there is no way to prove he is lying so he just wants to get his money back while having a full adobe.
Old 03-08-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulbert View Post
he probably used the serial but of course there is no way to prove he is lying so he just wants to get his money back while having a full adobe.
Thats exactly what I thought.
Old 03-09-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

I wonder if there is any way to contact adobe and provide the serial, and see if it has been registered?

I would give it a go, its a very long shot. Imagine if you could discover the guy has registered the copy and now wants his money back.
Old 03-09-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

I would tell paypal you are investigating with adobe and cc them in on email to them - thing is adobe take ages to reply by email anyway - isnt there an anti-fraud dept?

Ive not seen this type of dispute before, usually pp finds for the buyer, but this might be different.

So, who did YOU buy from, a private individual? a supplier - Im thinking, maybe it is f ake...

Also, if you have sold more than just one of these, or any other items that are commonly f aked, then pp will probably think there is no smoke without fire..
Old 03-10-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqinjail View Post
So there's a guy who bought an Adobe Photoshop CS4 from me in Nov 2009. Last week he emailed me and told me that the serial number did not work. So I tried to find him some serial number off the internet and sent them to him. Today, he said none of the serial numbers worked and he wanted a refund.

I'm still debating if I should refund him or not. In my auction, I gave 30 days refund or exchange period and this period has already passed obviously. I cannot return it to my vendor for the same reason. So if I refund him that will be $200 out of my own pocket. Can he still make a claim against me through PayPal?

Any suggestion? Thanks!
How could numbers taken off t'internet work? The numbers are specific to the unit. If the buyer is inferring they might not be real (and the fact you went to the internet for a serial no# suggests this) then think of the repercussions? Do you want any heat from either paypal or Adobe? You might need to accept the loss.
Old 03-10-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

A lot of serial codes for certain software products work fine if they are taken off the internet.

If you go back 5-8 years you could also verify all the Microsoft products including Office, Word, Excel etc by simply downloading and using serials that users had posted.

However Microsoft has gone the extra step with the "vailidation" requirements now this is almost impossible to do.

With other companies (smaller software companies) you can still download software for the Free trial and then use serials online to register the products. Now some of these will work and some will not, but some would say it is worth doing to save £££'s on software that maybe used to be freeware.

This is changing though and more companies are using "validation" techniques and "one use" serials to stop people using their products free of charge.
Old 03-11-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
I would tell paypal you are investigating with adobe and cc them in on email to them - thing is adobe take ages to reply by email anyway - isnt there an anti-fraud dept?

Ive not seen this type of dispute before, usually pp finds for the buyer, but this might be different.

So, who did YOU buy from, a private individual? a supplier - Im thinking, maybe it is f ake...

Also, if you have sold more than just one of these, or any other items that are commonly f aked, then pp will probably think there is no smoke without fire..
I sold two of them at the same time. The first one turned out not good and I refunded him and I was able to get a refund back from my supplier. Now, this was the 2nd one and he wanted a refund after 4 months. I can't get a refund from my supplier neither. It's PITA!!!
Old 03-14-2010
BeachBoy

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqinjail View Post
I sold two of them at the same time. The first one turned out not good and I refunded him and I was able to get a refund back from my supplier. Now, this was the 2nd one and he wanted a refund after 4 months. I can't get a refund from my supplier neither. It's PITA!!!
Listen call Adobe, ask them can they check if this serial # is legit and registered. They will tell you. You can find the phone # on their site.
But more than likely you are selling illegal serial #'s and the fact that you went online and searched for illegal serial #'s to give to your customer isn't very good at all in your position. Selling illegal serial #'s you got on the internet is just asking for trouble.