Trademark Infringement / /Copyright / VERO Issues - Cease & Desist letters. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%
Default Trademark Infringement / /Copyright / VERO Issues - Cease & Desist letters.

Can anyone tell me what ebay means by removing a listing because of "trademark infringement issues". They told me my listing wasn't vereod nut it was removed because trademark so and so?

All i was doing was selling my old pair of nike jordans?

Ebay Email---

When we receive a properly documented request from a VeRO participant
asking us to remove an infringing item, we are required to end the
listing.

We don't have any information about how your item infringed the rights
owner's intellectual property or how you can avoid having your listing
ended again.

The rights owner isn't required to explain how the item infringes on
their intellectual property. In addition, a listing look that looks fine
to us may actually violate someone's intellectual property.

We urge you to contact Nike and direct your questions and concerns
regarding the removal of your listing to the rights owner. You can
contact the rights owner at:

brand.guard@nike.com

For more information on the eBay VeRO Program, visit:

eBay: Redirect

"""""""Please note, it appears that this listing was removed due to trademark
infringement issues. If this is the case, filing a Counter-Notice is not
an option.""""""""
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-17-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

If you're using their trademark name, "Nike", then the VeRO user can request for your listing to be removed. Just don't list the work "nike" in the title in your auctions and you'll have fewer problems in the future. You may also need to limit it's use in your description area, but it's mostly the title they can search for it.
Old 04-17-2007

If it's authentic Nike then you can take more detailed pictures, send it back to the Vero owner and have it approved. If not then don't list it anymore b/c you will get suspended.
Old 04-17-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebay View Post
If it's authentic Nike then you can take more detailed pictures, send it back to the Vero owner and have it approved. If not then don't list it anymore b/c you will get suspended.
this is the 4th time they did this to me
Old 04-17-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
If you're using their trademark name, "Nike", then the VeRO user can request for your listing to be removed. Just don't list the work "nike" in the title in your auctions and you'll have fewer problems in the future. You may also need to limit it's use in your description area, but it's mostly the title they can search for it.

Oh, and I didn't use Nike no where in the listing. Not even in the title. So I still don't understand?
Old 05-02-2007

Longevity: 98%
Default What kind of listings are always getting hit by VERO?

I always hear how everyone gets listings removed and suspended by VERO... by bogus VERO complaints either from competitors, past buyers, or possibly even by say the manufacturers of the products who don't like their items having reduced street value by being sold for cheap on ebay.

So what kinds of items are the ones laregely getting people busted by the bogus VERO complaints?

I downloaded the VERO form and looked at it and it wants all this info. Not just an email address like people have said..........

-------------------------------------------

Notice of Claimed Infringement
Date: __________________________
eBay Inc.
Attn: eBay VeRO Program
2145 Hamilton Ave.
San Jose, CA 95125
Fax Number: (408) 516-8811
Dear eBay:
I, the undersigned, state UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY that
• I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of certain intellectual
property rights (“IP Owner”);
• I have a good faith belief that the listings identified (by item number) in the addendum attached
hereto, offer items or contain materials that are not authorized by the IP Owner, its agent, or the
law, and therefore infringe the IP Owner’s rights; and
• The information in this notice is accurate.
Please act expeditiously to remove the listings identified in the addendum.
I May Be Contacted At (*required)
Name of IP Owner:* __________________________________________________ __________
Name and Title:* __________________________________________________ _____________
Company: __________________________________________________ ___________________
Address:* __________________________________________________ ___________________
City, State, and Zip:*_____________________________________________ _______________
email address (for correspondence with eBay): _______________________________________
email address (to be given to eBay sellers):* _________________________________________
Telephone:* __________________________________________________ _________________
Fax: __________________________________________________ _______________________
In addition to the undersigned, the following persons have the proper authority to sign future Notices of
Claimed Infringement on behalf of the IP Owner:
Name: ____________________________________ Email: ________________________________
Name: ____________________________________ Email: ________________________________
Truthfully,
A Note on Reason Codes: When identifying item numbers please use the reasons below. When
removing items from the site, eBay will inform sellers of the specific reason for the removal of
their items. We believe providing sellers with this information benefits all parties.
Select the most appropriate reason. Please associate each item you report with only one reason
code.
Reason Codes
(Note that the numbers may not be sequential everywhere. This is not a mistake, but simply
reflects that some reason codes are not legally applicable in all countries.)
Trademark – Item infringement
1.1. Trademark owner doesn’t make this type of product
1.2. Item(s) is an unlawful replica of a product made by the trademark owner
1.3. Item(s) is an unlawful importation of product bearing trademark
Trademark – listing content infringement
2.1. Listing(s) contains unlawful comparison to trademark owner’s brand name
2.2. Listing(s) contains unlawful use of trademark owner’s logo
Copyright – item infringement
3.1. Software offered for sale in violation of a license
3.2. Item(s) is a bootleg recording of live performance
3.3. Item(s) is an unlawful copy of media (software, games, movies, etc.)
3.4. Item(s) is unlawful duplication of printed material
3.5. Item(s) is an unlawful copy of other copyrighted work (paintings, sculptures, etc.)
Copyright – listing content infringement
4.1. Listing(s) uses unauthorized copy of copyrighted text
4.2. Listing(s) uses unauthorized copy of copyrighted image
4.3. Listing(s) uses unauthorized copy of copyrighted image and text
Other infringement
5.1. Item(s) infringes a valid patent (requires patent registration number)
5.3. Item(s) violates a celebrity’s right of publicity
5.4. Listing(s) content violates a celebrity’s right of publicity
Reason Code __________________________________________________ ___________________
Work(s) infringed:________________________________________ _________________________
Item Number(s): __________________________________________________ _________________
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
Reason Code __________________________________________________ ___________________
Work(s) infringed:________________________________________ _________________________
Item Number(s): __________________________________________________ _________________
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
Old 05-03-2007
Threadstarter  

Default I got vero/trademark listings removed..2 out of 3

I find this very strange. I listed 15 items and 5 of the items is high suspectable to be verod.. Well only 3 out of the 5 items got verod at once..

Now why did I only get 3 out of the 5 items veroed? Why didn't they just do all 5??? All 5 was listed at the same time and I used the same picture for all 5 items.. Also I started the 5 auctions at the same time...That got me confused like what is really going on.. Now if someone was to vero me they would had saw the other 2 items I was selling as well and mark that as to be verod, but they didnt?
Old 05-03-2007
Threadstarter  

anyone with a answer.. Modee you didnt answer but I noticed you moved this topic..
Old 05-04-2007

cpugeek... do this. Take good detail photos that show your item is authentic, and it's good to have more than 3 or 4 of them. Then put watermark on them showing it's your photo. Or you can put a sign of your ebay id while you take those pictures.
Old 05-05-2007
Administrator

CPUGEEK, eBay's auction system is hit and miss. They won't get you for everything all the time, but what they do get you for will hurt.
Old 05-10-2007
Threadstarter  

Default eBay Listing Removed: Trademark Violation??

What am I doing wrong? I keep getting this message on various auctions, I have. I wonder if it is something I'am doing ? What is the difference between this and a vero?

eBay Listing Removed: Trademark Violation - Unauthorized Item
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear xxxxx,

You recently listed the following listing:
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx

The listing was removed because it violated eBay policy. All fees related to
this listing have been credited to your account. We also notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has
been canceled.

Trademark infringement is unlawful and violates eBay's policies. A trademark is
a unique sign (such as a name, word, phrase, logo, or symbol) that a company
uses to identify its products and/or services.

Using another company's trademark in a way that may confuse buyers about the
source of goods or services, or confuses buyers into believing that the seller
is affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by the trademark owner is both
illegal and against eBay's policies. Examples include counterfeits, unauthorized
replica items and items that bear the brand or logo of a company without that
company's permission.

Guideline: If the product you are listing bears the brand or logo of a company,
but it wasn't made or authorized by that company, don't sell it on eBay.

Review of this listing indicates that the item infringes a trademark. It is
both against the law and against eBay policy to infringe trademark laws. Due to security around eBay's review processes, the indicating factors cannot be
disclosed.

For more information visit the following Help page:

Seems like that was a competitor turning me in..??? Any suggestions to what is up???
Old 05-10-2007
Administrator

The items you're trying to sell, the trademark owner is complaining to eBay that your items are not allowed and should be removed. For fear of being sued, eBay has to remove those items. If you continue to list VeRO items, you'll lose your account as well. They only thing you can do is try to hide the items. Don't list any major keywords in your auction titles. But this usually only slows them down. If you're able list 3 day auctions instead of 5 or more. That's about all you can do. The best thing to do is not to list these types of items, you'll never win. Too many of the wrong people are looking for your items to be removed.
Old 05-10-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
The items you're trying to sell, the trademark owner is complaining to eBay that your items are not allowed and should be removed. For fear of being sued, eBay has to remove those items. If you continue to list VeRO items, you'll lose your account as well. They only thing you can do is try to hide the items. Don't list any major keywords in your auction titles. But this usually only slows them down. If you're able list 3 day auctions instead of 5 or more. That's about all you can do. The best thing to do is not to list these types of items, you'll never win. Too many of the wrong people are looking for your items to be removed.

I dont get why I had about 6 other items /auctions up and running of the same item and they didn't say nothing about the other 6 and they are the same excat item and auction style listing. But me being me I relisted the item and Included a message similiar to this.....I just copied and pasted this one from another auction for comparision purposes only....

"""ATTN: eBay VeRO, xxxxx Corporation and our Valued Customers:
The item listed is brand new in the box; however, we are in no way affiliated with xxxxx Corporation. The use of "xxxxx" and their model numbers in our listings is for product identification and recognition purposes only. xxxxxx provides no warranty or guarantee with this item; however,xxxxx does offer a nearly identical, parallel warranty. The product is solely and 100% backed by xxxxxx, Inc. and not xxxxx. No xxxxxx product can be returned to xxxxx Corporation. All xxxxx merchandise must be returned to xxxxxx for warranty purposes."""""""

As always, we at xxxxx are here for you. If you need any help installing your product after your purchase, or if you have any questions prior to purchase, please call us xxxxxxx, Monday - Friday 9AM - 5PM Pacific.
Old 05-10-2007
Administrator

That may or may not work, though for the most part I've seen it fail. EBay doesn't care what auctions they're taking down, they don't even look at the auctions 99% of the time. All they do is take the word of the trademark owner and shut auctions down. If you have enough complaints eBay will suspended your account as well. It's risky man. :/
Old 05-11-2007

Hello guys, I'm a first time short time... I was so happy to find this forum, I thought I was the only one going through this crap with Ebay.
I'm posting on this discussion because it's happened to me countless times in the past couple of years. It's my full-time business, I haven't even had time to get a website up yet, so when I'm not on ebay it's like being un-employed! Very bad feeling.
Yes as aspkin explained, the best thing to do is not use too many main words in the title to advertise, too many wrong people are seeing your items this way. What you should do is pick a few "safe" items to list under that title, then list your other items in more generic titles, that way when people click on the "safe" items they can just go to see seller's other items and you will still get the traffic of people who really are interested in your product. That's what I do, and you can even switch it on and off; one day have it one title, then switch it the next; this will allow you to at least get some people interested and possibly some watchers or even bids.
Old 05-30-2007
Threadstarter  

Default Ebay Discussion on vero.

Most ebay sellers don't get it when it comes to VERO.. Vero is bull**** and a way to controll sellers. It is all politics... Sellers turn other sellers in and etc.. Many of the sellers on ebay is on the discussion board confused as why they are getting veroed and they head ceo person of the vero de[artment left them in the dry..lol

I hope they will wake up. it is bull****..politics..

The number one question that was on there was why am I getting veroed and other people or not who have 10X as many items as I do...."DUHH" wake tha **** up.. Ebay cater to them sellers becuase they make ebay tons of money..

Check it out here for a good laugh
eBay Forums: Concerned about VeRO? Read this to ...
Old 06-01-2007

Yea I HATE Vero, the people who represent Vero just take item down because they don't want buyers knowing the TRUE market value of their items.

I had one item taken down for vero recently and there is no response when I asked if AFTER I provided the RECEIPT from the retail store (it was something I personally bought) they can let me relist it. I was ignored.
Old 06-02-2007

for a while I was selling a certain clothing brand from the US which costs 3 times more here in the UK. I would get a flight over, fill a couple of suitcases up, come back to the UK and sell it on.

then after a while this brand's UK office had me vero-ed off and sent me a cease and desist letter stating that I was 'illegally distributing the brand in the UK market without authority'

but I agree, vero is a way to control people who are happy to sell at reduced margins, or go the extra yard to get a deal
Old 06-14-2007

Default VERO Members- do they sue?

Last time I was vero'd my listings were removed until I was suspended and the VERO member left it at that. However, recently a VERO member not only had my listings removed but threatened legal action to decease from selling and they do look like a mad dog with a bone that wont let go. It doesnt seem likely they would terrorise every small trader that upset them but does anyone have anyexperience? Even with changing some of the ID they could eventually track me down if they were determined. My plan is to offload some items a month before Christmas on an unlinked account and then stop just before I get the removal notices and the hassle from the VERO member. I bought the items innocently and the first removal came exactly 4 weeks into my selling them
Old 06-14-2007

Longevity: 97%

If you plan on selling that item agian, you'll need to set up a couple accounts and only list a couple items per account. What sets off flags for ebay is when you list a lot of the same item. Then they think your selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗ or illegal coppies since you have so many of them. If you are knowingly selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗ stuff then you can really get your self in trouble and i would just take the loss and not sell it and risk and further actions agianst you. They problably wont do anythign any way, half of the stuff that is desinger made is ⊗⊗⊗⊗ any way.
Old 06-14-2007
Administrator

Empty threats. They can't do anything other then get you suspended off eBay. Unless you're a hardcore seller with thousands of listings a day, don't worry about it.
Old 06-14-2007

That makes sense. I'm looking to move 400 items in 4 weeks when Ebay is busy during the Christmas rush. The issue is not ⊗⊗⊗⊗ branding but design patent rights. The strong impression I get is Ebay dont actively look for ⊗⊗⊗⊗ because of the time lag before anything happens. The process is initiated by the VERO member because Ebay remove listings saying that. It looks like there is a waiting list the offender is put on before action is taken either an ebay waiting list or a VERO members waiting list. The patent owner concerned is very aggresive and took legal action against a much larger major brand competitor that had to cancel its importation of a similar product. They scared them so much that I can understand why Ebay would be forced to act. If youve never been suspended you get a window of opportunity a short period to break the rules as they give you the tutorial and explain the rules before punishing you. But they take a look at you and if they spot any linkage with suspended accounts you dont get a second chance. My feeling is that whilst linkage through pictures and titles may be a technical process, it may have more to do with the VERO member or a competitor recognising a repeat offender and insisting Ebay acts. It may not be as technically complicated as some think. Theres no advantage to Ebay suspending people other than avoiding having its ass sued by a VERO member
Closed Thread