Recognizing your computer via cookies? IP? Flash Objects? - New proposed EBAY policy - Page 10 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 07-16-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default Ebay tracking by phone #

Ebay now states that they will be using a new "security" measure soon which is tracking by your phone number whenever you log in. They are threatening this very soon. Is this possible ? with Turbo Lister ?
Stelth claims that tracking is only done by IP address and cookies.
Can you clarify this for me. Thanks.
LOVED eBay Stealth !!!!!:D
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-16-2008
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via Yahoo to philly387

I dont think there is a way to track you by your phone number. There is no way that ebay could call everyone that logs into the system. I think that would cost a fortune (which ebay has but still). I know you have to verify your phone number when you register.
Old 07-16-2008

Default this is how ebay knows if your using a different pc

and I quote:

"Also, to protect the Community against unauthorized account access, eBay has started noting which computers members use. For your protection, if you attempt to sign in from an unknown computer - for example, from a library or hotel – eBay will make an automated phone call to your registered phone number to confirm your identity. It is now vital that the phone number and secret question on your account are kept up to date.

eBay places an indicator on each members' computer containing a unique ID number. When an eBay member begins listing an item, the member's User ID is verified against the indicator. If not present, it will recognize that you aren't at your regular computer and begin the confirmation process.

Flash cookies (also known as Flash Objects or Shared Objects) store data on a user's computer. When you sign into your eBay account, a unique ID is generated identifying the computer you've used to connect to eBay.

That's the indicator eBay is using.

The Identity Confirmation Project started around the middle of July however we have been collecting data for this since April when it was first announced.

Okay, here's the link: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-protection.html#identity"

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS IS WHAT EBAY IS DOING NOW
Old 07-16-2008

does that mean using the same PC with a different identity for everything will screw me over? there has to be a way to remove the tracking data
Old 07-16-2008

from what the guy told me today, there's no way around it yet. Just use different pc's and have your celly phone next to you for the verification phone call
Old 07-26-2008

Post Flash cookies - Read this

Local Shared Objects -- "Flash Cookies"

Introduction

Cookies are small text files used to save information about an individual or their use of a web site. For instance, a cookie can be used to save your login name, your preferences for viewing content, or to track you as you browse the Internet.

With the advent of spyware and spyware removal programs, as well as media attention and the increase of online literacy, users now understand the purposes and risks of using cookies. Recently, users have become more vigilant in purging cookies from their computers. According to a Jupiter Research study, 58% of online users have deleted cookies from their computer and 39% of users do so on a monthly basis. This regular "cookie tossing" is causing direct marketers to see more invasive methods to track individuals. One of those methods is to set a "Local Shared Object," also known as a "Flash cookie" to track individuals. Simply put, the idea behind this tracking is to set two cookies on the user's machine--a standard cookie that the consumer may erase, and a second Flash cookie that the user probably will keep, because the existence of Flash cookies is not well known.

Flash cookies are set through a mechanism in Macromedia's Flash MX player. According to Macromedia, 98% of computer have some version of Flash on their computers.

What is a Local Shared Object (Flash cookie)?

Using previous versions of Flash, developers could save information between sessions by using 'normal' cookies, but the process was considered difficult for developers to implement. Placing a normal web cookie requires the use of a scripting language outside of Flash (Javascript or ASP, for example). Placing a Local Shared Object only requires the use of ActionScript--the scripting language that controls Flash movies. In its newest version, Flash MX, Macromedia introduced the Local Shared Object, which provided an easier way to store information. Flash cookies can be considered to be equivalent to 'normal' cookies, save for a few minor differences.

Flash cookies provide the only method by which a flash movie can store information on a user's computer. Intended uses of the object include storing a user's name, a favorite color or the progress in a game. The actual information is stored in a .SOL file in a special directory on the user's computer. Using the flash configuration tool, the user can decline Flash cookies by domain as well as control the amount of data a site is allowed to store. By default, sites are permitted to store 100kB of information without prompting a user.

Unfortunately, few consumers are aware of where Flash cookies are stored or how to control their use. Normal web cookies can be managed via the preferences dialog of most web browsers, but no similar utility is included for these Flash cookies. It is possible for Flash cookies to remain on user's computer indefinitely, as there is no mechanism to set an expiration date on Flash cookies.

How do Flash cookies allow Identification on individuals?

The type of information stored in a Flash cookie is limited only by the information that the creating Flash movie has access to. According to Macromedia's Flash MX Security Whitepaper, this is limited to:

* Anything in the actual movie file
* Any information the user provides
* Some configuration information about the computer running the movie
* Flash cookies created by the same domain from which the movie originated
* Servers in the domain from which the movie originated

Using some or all of the above categories, the Flash movie can create a unique ID and store that ID in a Flash cookie on a user's computer. The Flash movie can then communicate this information to a database, or other applications. Subsequent visits by the same users could be tracked by reading the ID contained in the Flash cookie.

Who can access a Flash cookie?

As with normal web cookies, a domain can only access data that it created; it is not allowed to read Flash cookies created by other domains. This prevents sites from observing user behavior at other sites.

How can users prevent Flash cookie tracking?

Like normal cookies, Flash cookies are represented as small files on users' computers. To prevent Flash cookies from being placed, users can adjust preferences on a per site basis in the Macromedia Website Privacy Settings Panel. Using this tool, Flash cookies can be completely disabled or allowed on a per domain basis.

To get to the settings panel, right click on any Flash movie, click settings and then advanced. Macromedia has published a walk through guide to help users disable Flash cookies.

Users can get rid of the current Flash cookies and their tracking information simply going to the correct folder (see below) and deleting them. The Flash cookies are organized in folders according to the site that placed them, so users can choose which objects to keep.

Firefox users can use Objection, a recently developed extension that adds a LSO deletion tool to Firefox preferences.

Where are Flash cookies stored?

Flash cookies are stored in a special directory depending on the operating system on the client machine. They are arranged in directories according to the site that placed them on the computer (look for a file with a .SOL extension):

* Windows C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player
* Macintosh OSX /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player
* GNU-Linux ~/.macromedia

Persistent Identification Element ("PIE")

United Virtualities (UV), an online marketing firm, has introduced a tracking platform that takes advantage of the relative obscurity of Flash cookies. In a press release this March, UV announced PIE, a backup ID system for cookies. Mookie Tenembaum, founder of United Virtualities, explained the reasoning behind the product, "All advertisers, websites and networks use cookies for targeted advertising, but cookies are under attack. According to current research they are being erased by 40% of users creating serious problems."

UV's press release also claims that the PIE system can restore deleted web cookies. Although there is little official information on the implementation of the PIE system, it is not likely that the cookie is actually restored. Instead, it appears that the Flash cookie acts as a redundancy. That is, the PIE system uses Flash cookies as a backup. A site interested in tracking a user would set a normal cookie and a Flash cookie. If the user erased the normal cookie, the PIE-enabled site could use the redundant Flash cookie to track the user.

To justify this tracking mechanism, UV's Tenembaum said, "The user is not proficient enough in technology to know if the cookie is good or bad, or how it works."

This practice is highly deceptive. By deleting cookies, consumers are clearly rejecting attempts to track them. Using an obscure technology to subvert these wishes is a practice that should be stopped. Cookies have many beneficial purposes and can make the end user's web experience better. Websites should be honest and up front about how they use cookies, and they should respect the decisions of those users who do not want to be tracked via cookies.
Old 07-30-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Okay, along these lines, when I log into one of my Window user accts and then want to go to another one, I am given a choice to switch users, (easier and quicker) or log completely out and then back in under another user. Does it make a difference with regards to the topic?
This really seems incredibly invasive and I'm shocked that it is legal.
Old 07-31-2008

Exclamation if ebay doesnt track your IP, how does it track your computer?

Hi everyone,

I have 2 accounts - both using the same computer, but i have two log on identities which keeps all my cache and cookies separate.

Australian ebay is now collecting information regarding the computers you have listed on before, and then if you try and list using a different computer they will call you to verify it is actually you trying to list that item.

i had a chat with the ebay live help today and found out that it is your computer in which ebay tracks you with, and it i not your IP address. I asked this because i said that my IP adress changes every time i connect and disconnect and was told From the information I gather, it will be the computer that you use regardless of the IP address that you have.

How does ebay track your computer? and am i safe using the same computer with 2 difference log in identities?
Old 07-31-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

Keep reading the forum. The person you talked to is either an idiot or misleading you. EBay 100% tracks you by your IP address, browser cookies and flash objects. Keep reading the forum or read eBay Stealth to find out everything eBay and Paypal does to track you. Good luck,
Old 07-31-2008

hi- i have read and bought eBay Stealth. its great

but everytime i log in my IP address changes? how can they track this?

am i safe using 2 separate computer identities?
Old 07-31-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

They can't "track" you in that sense. As in following you. But they log your IP every time you log into an account. For example:

Account 1:
---------------

Account 2:
---------------

You see? They now know that IP "123.123.123.10" has been used for both Account 1 and Account 2. Now that's usually not enough to suspend an account, because with eBay's millions of users, there will be eventually the same IP's used by 2 accounts on the same day that have nothing to do with each other.

But if you don't clean your cookies or use separate Windows user accounts to keep the cookies separated, they will notice that you're logging into both accounts with the same cookies and there you are....linked!

Do something wrong (or not even) and they will kill both of your accounts.
Old 08-10-2008

Longevity: 95%
Default Flash cookies whats the best prog to rid them

Hi whats the best programs to get rid of flash cookies and just your every day cookies?
Old 08-10-2008

Longevity: 95%

HI: Im not sure about the flash cookies, as if they are what I am thinking, its what ebay tracks u so u do not have to receive their verification phone call??
As for other cooklies-I personally use the free Cookie Cleaner.
Best of luck
Old 08-11-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

As Modee suggest, Objection for firefox is a good choice also Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager is another.

But if you're using separate user accounts on your CPU, you don't have to worry about your flash objects so much. They're kept completely separate between users. If not then yes, you must delete them before switching accounts or you might get linked. Read more in eBay Stealth.
Old 08-15-2008

Longevity: 94%

If this is in the wrong place I'm sorry. I have been clearing out my flash cookies on one of my accounts still. I have listed items several times and not once have had to call to verify my information, etc. I don't know why but it hasn't flagged my account for verification yet.
Old 08-23-2008

Longevity: 90%

Hi, reference has been made to the computer name which is inserted in the Windows OS. I noticed when uploading or downloading one site showed my computer name so this is detectable. You can change the name BUT each Windows software has a number which is either a manufacturing OEM number or a user specific number to recognise the individual user and prevent software piracy. This number cant be changed.

I posted a thread on Windows v Linux OS, Linux being a free OS download, an alternative to using Windows. Actually its pre-installed in Toys r Us laptops so must be pretty user friendly
Old 08-29-2008

Default user accounts

Are seperate user accounts 100% reliable for seperating all cookies and .sol files?
Also, are Vista user accounts any less reliable than XP ones?
For example, if there's an update to Vista and you have 10 user accounts on your computer, could this update result in files being moved around and placed together in places that may identify you as a multiple Ebay account user?
Old 08-31-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Vista is not so stable, in my view. I use XP with firefox at the suggestion of aspkin and others. All the account I have set up as outlined in this thread work. No problems with cookies, flash cookies etc.
Would be your choice but overall XP & firefox is great.
Old 09-09-2008

Thumbs up

I found ebay site on my flash cookie onmy computer "secureinclude.ebaystatic.com"..WOW! no wonder I got suspended again and again..THANK YOU GUYS for the INFO.
Old 10-06-2008

Longevity: 94%

I just got a new computer and it has Vista on it. I am still using my old one and all my eBay accounts except one are operating on the old computer. Should I not bother using my new computer & Vista for accessing those eBay accounts if I can help it?
Old 10-18-2008

Longevity: 89%
Default NEW ACCOUNT MC081 FPA NOTICE: eBay Registration Suspension - Breach of User Agreement

WHAT WRONG?
i apple a new account to day.but suspended today.

We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to concerns we have for the safety of the eBay community.

We will review your account for reinstatement if you follow the instructions further down in this email.

Why have we suspended your account?

From experience we know that certain items and actions are more associated with fraudulent activity on eBay than others. As a precaution, we suspend an account if it gives us cause for concern. We then ask for more information from the member before we reinstate the account.

Please understand we're not accusing you of fraudulent behaviour. Our top priority is to ensure that eBay remains a safe and reputable place to buy and sell, so we'd just like to confirm some of the information you've given us.

An account suspension in these circumstances is covered under the section of the eBay User Agreement headed "Abusing eBay", which you can read by copying this link into a new browser window:

Your User Agreement

During your suspension you are prohibited from using eBay in any way, including registering new accounts. Doing so may result in your permanent suspension. We have ended your open listings.

Please be advised that this suspension does not relieve you of your obligation to pay any fees that you may owe to eBay.

Here's what you can do now:

Please send us all of the following information so we can review your account:

1) Proof of name and address
2) Proof that the item/s you listed are in your possession
3) Confirmation of your up-to-date contact details

1) Proof of name and address

Please send us copies of BOTH of the following:

- government-issued photo identification (passport or driving licence)
- evidence of address (bank statement or utility bill).

You must send us PHOTOCOPIES, not originals as we can't return your documents. Clearly print your User ID on both documents so we can match them with your account quickly.

2) Proof that the item/s you listed are in your possession

Please send us ONE of the following for each of the items you've listed for sale on eBay:

- Receipt, bill of sale or agreement with your supplier

Please understand that we can't accept an invoice or order confirmation as proof that the item is in your possession.

3) Confirmation of your up-to-date contact details

Please print the following information on the cover sheet of your letter or fax:
Full address:
Contact phone number:

Please send us the information requested to the fax number or address below.

Fax number: +353 (0)1 633 5954

Postal address (photocopies only):

eBay Trust & Safety
Attn: Suspension Appeals
P.O. Box 9473
Dublin 15

Please be assured that eBay treats your personal information with the utmost care. We always destroy documents after we've reviewed them.

What happens next?

Please allow some time for us to review your account after we have received your documents. We'll then contact you via email. Your account will remain suspended until we receive and review these documents.

Thank you for your cooperation in this important matter.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety
Old 10-18-2008
Executive [VIP]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you done any research on the information everywhere on this forum?
Have you read anything in this forum?
Have you read the stealth guide?
Just basic questions?