AOL proxy - does your WAN IP address change for EBAY purposes? Not necessarily - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 09-05-2008
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%

Now posting via IE.
Interesting when I switched from AOL to IE the cookie stayed and I was already signed in. It is always advisable to clear cookies when going from one account to the other even if switching browsers
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-05-2008
Threadstarter  

Obviously I do nothing different when using IE. As for AOL I have an email account and have downloaded the AOL browser.
If I access the web using the Aol browser it does nothing to change the IP address. In order for it to work you have to actually sign in to AOL and I do so by checking my email by using the AOL icon on the top of the browser. This will then log you in using your AOL ID and password. You will then be accessing the web via the AOL proxy.
I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS verify my IP address through one of the site listed here in the forums to make sure that I am accessing everything through the AOL proxy and not my regular IP.

Last edited by DogFacedBoy; 09-05-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFacedBoy View Post
In order for it to work you have to actually sign in to AOL and I do so by checking my email by using the AOL icon on the top of the browser. This will then log you in using your AOL ID and password. You will then be accessing the web via the AOL proxy.
Hi DogFacedBoy,

Thank you for the advice.

But I don't see a AOL icon on the top of my browser.

Please advise how I obtain that icon.

BTW: I use an Apple Mac. So what works for a PC may not work for a Mac.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 94%
Default AOL does NOT hide your IP address from eBay. THAT'S NOW PROVEN

I did as is advised. Signed into my AOL account. I had cleared cookies, etc before doing so.

Yes, for sure I find I have a different IP address.

BUT, HERE'S THE CATCH!!

That IP address is MERELY a WEAK CLOAK of my real IP address.

Simply doing an IP reverse lookup I identified the location of that IP address as EXACTLY the same as my internet provider!!

Doing this repeatedly. i.e. logging out. deleting cookies, etc. logging in. repeating the procedure. EVERY TIME there was the same problem. Every time the new IP address was transparent as far as reverse look-up software was concerned and it identified my isp.

Thus eBay will easily be able find your real IP address by using some sophisticated reverse software.

Whether they go to that length all the time is not known. But maybe they do when there is excess computing power available, like at quiet times.

Last edited by SheerGold; 10-15-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2008

Longevity: 90%

I am also trying to run throug AOL version 7.0. Can someone tell me what my IP address is with this post? Are the first two numbers 63.?
Old 10-15-2008

and now my IP address in this post not using AOL?
Old 10-15-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts

laslunas:
in your first post start no* is 205
in your second post start no* is 63
laslunas (10-15-2008)
Old 10-15-2008

so that mean I am good to go using AOL? Ebay & Paypal do not like my 63 IP address!
Old 10-22-2008

Sooo...what is the solution?
Old 12-05-2008

Longevity: 89%

I read all kinds of threads everywhere and here....I use and pay for AOL broadband and kept a log of all the proxy IP addresses I get with IPBurger. I'm in Jersey but I get IP addresses from Pa, Maine, Canada, Kansas, Virginia and NY. I seems from my logs it works in rotations and how long I wait to sign into AOL. I tested it again with Firefox and always got the same IP so I no longer use that. AOL seems the way to go. I have it down to a science and with Auctiva I feel my 6 accounts are safe up and running knock wooden head!
Old 12-08-2008
MU

Longevity: 92%

any solution yet?
Old 12-09-2008

Interesting thing happened here today. We had a major blackout in our county for hours. Happened in the middle of listing as a matter of fact. BOOM everything went down and pitch black. When power was resumed I thought let me check my IP address for giggles. I got a different one through Comcast! Different through IP Config in my computer! Comcast assigned me a new one! So with AOL and a new IP I'm getting up early and opening a few new accounts to fester for the future. An exploding generator opened a few new doors for me! And candlelight wasn't so bad either.
Old 12-30-2008

Tonight I signed into AOL via bring your own access because I had to check some Ebay stuff to help out a relative of mine.

I was logged onto the internet thru my wireless laptop card which is NOT what I use to log onto my own Ebay account and I was on a different computer but I wanted to use the AOL as an additonal layer of protection since in no way do I want this person's EBay account linked to mine.

So....I checked my IP on IPBurger and I had an AOL IP address.

Then I went to Geobytes. I had an AOL IP address.

Then I sent an email from my AOL account to one of my Yahoo accounts.

I checked the full headers of the email I received in Yahoo and I had an AOL address in the headers of the email there was no other IP coming thru.

I was safe either way because I took the precaution of using the wireless card to connect anyway - but after reading this, I still think I won't depend on AOL as a proxy unless I dial in.

I still hope Ebay only saw the AOL IP.
Old 12-30-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 97%

the best thing to do is to test:
1- create an Ebay account with new infos to test using your internet provider through AOL
2- write down the AOL IP.

3- few minutes later after the activation, try to log in to your account from AOL using the I forgot my password pretending that.
4- Ebay will send you an email or 2 emails to your email that you changed your password with the IP address that you used.
5-you are going to see that they know your IP from your provider also.

i hope this info will help.

thank you