What the heck is a tax code that couriers are demanding now from UK citizens lately? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 02-28-2019

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 68%
Question What the heck is a tax code that couriers are demanding now from UK citizens lately?

As title.
I order from china every now and again, those selling in china tell me they can't use by DHL anymore. I used DHL for the last 10 years no problems. So i've been using fedex instead. WHich is OK.

Today I found out that DHL are asking for a TAX CODE? and thats the reason they stopped sending by DHP. What the heck is a tax code exactly for individuals?

Also, im now told Fedex are asking for a tax code.

The only thing I can think of that they are asking for is a national insurance number?

UK people please advise.

Last edited by J4G3D; 02-28-2019 at 07:26 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: What the heck is a tax code that couriers are demanding now from UK citizens late

Ring up Fedex for details
Old 02-28-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 34%
Default Re: What the heck is a tax code that couriers are demanding now from UK citizens late

Like harmonization codes?

Maybe something changed in UK import laws.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunspot144 For This Useful Post:
Canadianleaf (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019

Some products need an import license #. You register with whichever department oversees your type of product. Imagine it's similar in UK.
Old 02-28-2019
Threadstarter  

Something has changed. Doesn't matter what product it is they require a tax code from you.

Called DHL and they wasn't able to give me a proper answer other than requirements have changed.

Need someone from the UK that has experienced this.. what code it is and why they're asking it all of a sudden, how will it effect us...etc..

Also this guy is asking the same question:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member...qaq-p/25218024
The Following User Says Thank You to J4G3D For This Useful Post:
Canadianleaf (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019

I'd check out your governments import customs website. I dont think you'll readily find an answer if it's something new. My 2 cents!
Old 02-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

In the USA, we now have to supply an import Tariff tax code on anything aluminum, most plastics and steel. I bet it is similar for you in the UK.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
Sunspot144 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019

Longevity: 37%

Import & VAT tax evasion is on a grand scale in the UK. The government over there is losing billions to to that scheme. Check out the HMRC press releases and you will know what I am talking about.

I personally would love to see a crackdown on all sellers evading VAT. Legit businesses were driven out of the market due to unfair competition by a crook sitting somewhere in Asia and playing the system.
Old 02-28-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingupwards View Post
Import & VAT tax evasion is on a grand scale in the UK. The government over there is losing billions to to that scheme. Check out the HMRC press releases and you will know what I am talking about.

I personally would love to see a crackdown on all sellers evading VAT. Legit businesses were driven out of the market due to unfair competition by a crook sitting somewhere in Asia and playing the system.
I'd say its down to chinese sellers pretending to be UK based, selling items for a similar price as they are in china.

On top of that, they can ship items to us much cheaper than we can ship items within the UK. I think its the same in USA, and I think Trump was the first person to mention this issue.

I can see that some sellers on ebay that are UK based are now selling certain items that are in my field of expertise at almost the same price as china price. It is IMPOSSIBLE to offer 12 months warranty with these products. I for one wouldn't get out my bed in the morning if i was only making 5GBP on a item I paid 100GBP for and offer full 1 years warranty on top of that which costs 35GBP to ship back to china to repair under warranty.

So for me the issue is china firstly. I don't blame UK people avoiding customs charges based on these reasons. They're fighting to compete. I avoid customs all the time, well, I pay customs on every parcel but its lower than it should be.

In the UK the majority of new business's fail in the first year of trading.
Old 02-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 16%
Longevity: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4G3D View Post
As title.
I order from china every now and again, those selling in china tell me they can't use by DHL anymore. I used DHL for the last 10 years no problems. So i've been using fedex instead. WHich is OK.

Today I found out that DHL are asking for a TAX CODE? and thats the reason they stopped sending by DHP. What the heck is a tax code exactly for individuals?

Also, im now told Fedex are asking for a tax code.

The only thing I can think of that they are asking for is a national insurance number?

UK people please advise.
There asking for a EORI number.
The Following User Says Thank You to 13obby For This Useful Post:
No Joker (03-03-2019)
Old 02-28-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13obby View Post
I don't think its that, that is for business's trading outside of the UK/EU.

DHL and FEDEX will not ship to the UK without a "tax code", even for personal individuals. As a personal individual, how do you buy on ebay from china or aliexpress and have the item sent DHL or FEDEX without being able to get a EORI code?

It simply cannot be that.
Old 02-28-2019

Quote:
I'd say its down to chinese sellers pretending to be UK based, selling items for a similar price as they are in china.

On top of that, they can ship items to us much cheaper than we can ship items within the UK. I think its the same in USA, and I think Trump was the first person to mention this issue.

I can see that some sellers on ebay that are UK based are now selling certain items that are in my field of expertise at almost the same price as china price. It is IMPOSSIBLE to offer 12 months warranty with these products. I for one wouldn't get out my bed in the morning if i was only making 5GBP on a item I paid 100GBP for and offer full 1 years warranty on top of that which costs 35GBP to ship back to china to repair under warranty.

So for me the issue is china firstly. I don't blame UK people avoiding customs charges based on these reasons. They're fighting to compete. I avoid customs all the time, well, I pay customs on every parcel but its lower than it should be.

In the UK the majority of new business's fail in the first year of trading.

This is far away from the truth. All the sellers I am talking about handle shipping from within the UK. They all offer next day delivery, so either they are living in the UK or they have someone doing the shipping on their behalf.

Take a quick look at HMRC press releases and you will see countless articles about VAT tax evasion and related busts. It is not just about online sales btw.

Organized criminal gangs are heavily involved in this IMHO.

Anyway, I hope the scene will change and eBay.co.uk will become a viable platform to sell on in the future because right now it is not
Old 02-28-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
This is far away from the truth. All the sellers I am talking about handle shipping from within the UK. They all offer next day delivery, so either they are living in the UK or they have someone doing the shipping on their behalf.

Take a quick look at HMRC press releases and you will see countless articles about VAT tax evasion and related busts. It is not just about online sales btw.

Organized criminal gangs are heavily involved in this IMHO.

Anyway, I hope the scene will change and eBay.co.uk will become a viable platform to sell on in the future because right now it is not
I have witnessed it first hand.

I've bought from sellers claiming to be UK based, the item took 6/10 days to arrive and it came with a import sticker on it. I do agree that SOME chinese sellers have a facility in the UK. But not all. Regardless, both situations are causing UK/EU business's to struggle to compete with their cheap chinese prices. 5 years ago they didn't exist on ebay, now they've clocked on good and proper.

Do you know how many times people in the past told me my prices are too expensive, when i asked them to show me who is cheaper, they send me a ebay link to a chinese seller that showed as being based in Manchester, England, yet if you click their name it shows as being registered in China. I don't like selling for pennies and then supporting the customer for an entire 12 months as part of the package. This is why people don't want to pay extortionate import duties and VAT, if they did, their profits would be minuscule.

It's a dog-eat-dog world
Old 03-01-2019
Threadstarter  

Any other thoughts on this?
Old 03-02-2019

I sell exclusively on eBay.de and here is what they said in their last e-mail:

"Please don't forget to upload the VAT document we have requested in the last few days (which is issued from the German finance authority). Please note that we are legally required to check every single document we get thoroughly."

How hard is it to get a new VAT number in the UK?
Old 03-02-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I sell exclusively on eBay.de and here is what they said in their last e-mail:

"Please don't forget to upload the VAT document we have requested in the last few days (which is issued from the German finance authority). Please note that we are legally required to check every single document we get thoroughly."

How hard is it to get a new VAT number in the UK?
Its not a VAT number they're requesting, because as I say, they're requesting a "tax code" from every buyer in the UK.

I am buying as a private individual 1 item, not a business.

Every single package from china to uk needs a tax code number. Business or not.

It is all very unclear and confusing. I guess I will have to make some calls to get to the bottom of this.
Old 03-02-2019
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 71%
Longevity: 91%

I'd call your CPA for this... that should be the fastest way
Old 03-02-2019

In Germany there is something called "Personal identification number", it is somehow similar to an individual tax code. Maybe that is what you need.
Old 03-03-2019

Longevity: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13obby View Post
This is the correct answer.
Old 03-03-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Called DHL and they wasn't able to give me a proper answer other than requirements have changed.
That's terrible hindsight on DHL part not to know this info as well
Old 03-04-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
That's terrible hindsight on DHL part not to know this info as well
Nope, I called them again just now in hope I speak to someone else with more brains, and I seem to have got someone even worse. Firstly despite repeating my name several times, they still got it wrong. Then they were confused as to why im asking this question without a shipment being sent.

Eventually she said that the seller in china must put "n/a" next to tax code.

I doubt that is right.
Old 03-04-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Joker View Post
This is the correct answer.
The format of an EORI number:
An EORI number is made up of a country code, to show where the organisation or individual is registered, and a unique code or number. For UK businesses the number is made up as follows:
VAT registered businesses: GB + VRN (VAT registration number) + 000
Non-VAT registered businesses: GB + unique number issued by HMRC

But im not a business.

Last edited by J4G3D; 03-04-2019 at 05:57 AM.