new boom industries - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 06-15-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default new boom industries

got a relative who will be choosing their exams at the moment, and needs to position themselves to do subjects best for a high paid job in an industry that has jobs going. He is thinking of IT, but I wanted to know which area of IT is best to go for and which subjects to take at age 14-18. The university/college degree is a few years away still, but he is hoping to get in to a top university. I suggested business studies and IT and maybe a language.

what do you guys think?

Old 06-15-2010

Longevity: 93%

Nah, can give you a tip... some type of engineering course... the mines in australia pay at least 200K per year... and if picked up by dubai double it...
Old 06-15-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Not everything in life is about money, he needs to check out what field he is interested in and if he wants to go to uni or college. The term, Business, is very broad. He needs to shorten it up and decide what fields will suit him the best. If he's in grade 10 or grade 9 he has plenty of time to decide. Even if he's in his senior years, he should keep his doors open by taking a wide variety of courses.

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
Old 06-15-2010

Longevity: 82%

School is overrated, the notion of going to school and getting a good job sounds like good advice in theory but, it's old-fashioned. I'm not saying not to go to school a college education is definitely worth its weight in gold, rather teach him about money early. If he's clueless about money it won't matter what kind of high-paying job he gets.

What will end up happening? He goes to a good college studies his ass off, gets a good job and works his ass off for the next 40-50 years. For what? A retirement at the age of 60? Haha, if he even has enough money saved up at that point to even BE ABLE to retire.

My suggestion would be it doesn't matter what field he goes into or what job he gets. Tell him to learn and study money. How to build assets and limit liabilities. Plus, is he even interested in IT? I'd tell him to study what interests him most and equally important to LEARN ABOUT MONEY! Also, not how to earn money but, to MAKE money there is a big difference.

I never went to college, I could have I chose not to. Now at the age of 21 when I should have been graduating from a 4-year university, I decided to instead start my own business not just eBay, but an entire organization. Sure I'm going to end up going to college when I WANT TO and on my terms.

Most my friends now after graduating from college are lost, they have no idea what to do, no direction, still kids like me. Financially? I'm way more independent and I'll guarantee that I'll be making more money than them 5 years from now even without a college degree. My friend after graduation from the University of Riverside just got a position at Disney. He's basically a glorified coffee boy, in the next coming years sure he'll get promoted and such and such, but at what cost? Working all your life and perhaps not enjoying it? That's what could end up happening to your relative.

-Albert Einstein
Old 06-15-2010

Longevity: 90%

I have to agree that its not how much money you make, its about how much you spend. You could make a million dollars a year and still be broke because you spend it all. And you could make 60K a year and live like 40K a year an save 20K and have a huge savings stacked away.

I just got my 2 yr degree in IT: Computer Networking. Working on getting my B.S. in it now. Its a good IT field. Payrate varies alot. It all depends on how much education and certifications you have, who you are working for, and previous work experience. It can be anywhere from $40K to over $100k.

Medicine is always a good field to go in. People are always going to get sick.

Last edited by JohnnyBoy; 06-15-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

in Uk, exams have been dumbed down, so everyone passes and too many people do degrees and dont have the jobs available, so quite often the graduates might as well not bothered if they didnt do a good degree, at good uni....

so engineering, which type, lots of types are available, which is the one to go for??

so IT which field to go for??.

Jamblix- the way to make money on your own terms is to start your own business, I agree, but I personally think its not a good idea for most kids to do it straight from school, a good job for say 3-10 years in the field you want the business to be in..I think that helps with maturity and knowledge..

we think he needs direction, he has just said he wants to be in IT

My nephew, he is aiming for Oxford/Cambridge, he has been to public (in UK thats the top private boarding schools), so we are talking wanting to be at the top, and yes, he and the whole family want him to earn megabucks, why not? someone has to....aim high and you might get close to it..I will be pushing my own child to do the same, when the time comes.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 06-16-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-16-2010

Longevity: 84%

If you're gonna go to college get an MBA, me I prefer the portable one that can be bought on ebay for $30 or less maybe throw in a good calculator, call me a cheap skate but it get's the job done.