Looking for a bad azz laptop! Witch one should I get? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 06-26-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Send a message via AIM to Stream
Question Looking for a bad azz laptop! Witch one should I get?

I would like to have one that quad core and the ones I been looking at are the

HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Core i7

And the

Sony Vaio i7 Quad Core

Witch one would you get? Do you own one? What do you think about these? Also do you know of one that's better then these?

Thanks for your responds!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-26-2010

Longevity: 82%

If you really want a nice system, go with Alienware. The company started back in the 90s and made computers for gamers. A few years ago they were bought out by Dell.

I've never heard a negative about them from people that own them.

I've always owned Dells but one of these days I will upgrade to an Alienware. Never owned a HP or Sony, but as I work on PCs for a living, I have had to repair to many wierd issues with them.

Just go to alienware .com
The Following User Says Thank You to NTP For This Useful Post:
Stream (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Bad azz! I like that...guess you need to have an idea the limitations (by virtue of size etc) what the beast will do
Stream (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010

Longevity: 80%

If you wanna spends lots of money go with alienware. They are overpriced imo...just get a desktop if its for gaming! you can get a much more powerful computer for cheaper in a desktop. But if you got the cash to spend go for the alien ware.
The Following User Says Thank You to EFIL4OREV For This Useful Post:
Stream (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

I have two Sony Vaios, they're pretty nice.
Old 06-26-2010

i like asus.
The Following User Says Thank You to SelfMade17 For This Useful Post:
Stream (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFIL4OREV View Post
If you wanna spends lots of money go with alienware. They are overpriced imo...just get a desktop if its for gaming! you can get a much more powerful computer for cheaper in a desktop. But if you got the cash to spend go for the alien ware.
I just would like to have a laptop, I have 3 desktops and no laptops.

I don't want one for gaming, But I would like to have one that can handle everything else with ease.

I like to run photo shop/window office/vmware all at once with out slowing down the computer.

The size/color dose not matter to me.

Thanks for the respond everyone!
Old 06-26-2010

yeah. to be honest im done with owning desktops..my desktop broke and now im just sticking with laptops..they are pretty good..and are still getting better..and the plus that i really like is you can bring them any where..not just sit in one spot..i like to be portable with my laptop!
The Following User Says Thank You to SelfMade17 For This Useful Post:
Stream (06-27-2010)
Old 06-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Alienware are over priced computers, although they are meant for gaming, many people get them to basically show off. It used to be more of a gaming computer but now, alienware are just a status symbol like Nike.

You can get a much better computer and well priced computer. There are numerous sites out there with reviews for laptops. I suggest you check out the daily deals from tigerdirect and newegg. They have NICE deals on there sometimes. I7 and I5 is the way to go but it can get a bit pricey....

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning For This Useful Post:
Stream (06-27-2010)
Old 06-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfMade17 View Post
yeah. to be honest im done with owning desktops..my desktop broke and now im just sticking with laptops..they are pretty good..and are still getting better..and the plus that i really like is you can bring them any where..not just sit in one spot..i like to be portable with my laptop!
You should learn to troubleshoot...

It maybe the powerbox which may need to be replaced or a loose wire. Desktops are easier to fix as compared to laptops.

Laptops are NO better than desktops. It all depends on the usage and what you will be using it for. If you are basically using this for a portable means of entertainment then I suggest to get a laptop. You also have to factor in if you would like a heavy or light laptop, the size of the screen and MOST IMPORTANT the trackpad, keyboard and buttons!

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning For This Useful Post:
Stream (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010

If you are not a gamer then I wouldn't go with Alienware. When I hear the term "bad azz laptop" I think "Gamer".

If I were you, I would go to big computer places like Best Buy and stores that have a bunch of laptops on display. Touch it and use it. Make sure it feels comfortable. Take a notebook along with you and keep track of the brands and models and what you liked/disliked about each one. (btw...if the sales people try to convince you on a model to buy, take what they say with a grain of salt. They usually don't know squat.)

Go online and read reviews about those models.

Then check prices online and compare to what you found in the stores. You'll probably find you can get a better price online, unless one of the big chain stores is having a sale.

Like Burning said Newegg and TigerDirect have some great deals at times.
The Following User Says Thank You to NTP For This Useful Post:
Stream (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010

I have a HP Pavillion dv7-1240us. If the dv7t and the dv7-1240us are anything alike, I'll say that this computer kicks some major ass. Well for me anyway, only complaint I have would be the keyboard is hard to see in the dark, it's heavy and kinda bulky.

Screen is beautiful, battery is getting weaker this is most likely due to not taking care of it well and being nearly 2 years old. Yeah, it's lasted pretty long, never had to take it in for repairs or anything. My laptop has taken in some rough usage (that's what she said!) too. I eat on it, spill liquids all over and never turn it off. Literally, the only times this laptop ever stayed off is when I need to restart for updates or on vacation.

Performance wise it's fast and I haven't even needed all the space. It's also pretty kick-ass for games and streamed high quality video with a snap. I'm not a hardcore computer guy though, so take my advice for what it's worth. Pretty much it gets the job done, lasts long, looks nice, and it's very durable.

-Albert Einstein

Last edited by jamblix; 06-27-2010 at 04:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamblix For This Useful Post:
Stream (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010
Threadstarter  

First I would like to thank everyone for the help.

I have been seeing neweggs species on the laptops. The other day I seen one with the i7 but just thought I should not get it. The time will come around again with another one on sale.

Sorry it the terms "bad azz" meant gaming.

Like I have said in the post before this one:
I need one that can handle all the apps I use, I will like to have them all open and not lose any power, Fast etc...

The programs I run are:
MS office 2010
Photo Shop c5
sometimes vb6
VMware

Would like to scan my computer with every thing running and don't even know I'm scanning. HEH

This is what I meant by the terms "bad azz"

Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2010
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

That sounds like around 2k at least..

My main laptop right now is a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Windows 7, 4 GB of ram with a GeForce 8600M GT. It's a Sony Vaio.

I got it.. maybe two years ago? It's good for running multiple heavy apps like Photoshop, large spreadsheets (100MBs+), a couple other Adobe products and some custom software I have. It only slows down a little with AVG scans, but I just pause that sometimes.

It's a good laptop, I bought another Sony VAIO about six months ago, you can see it here: http://www.aspkin.com/early-christma...ent-sony-viao/

That's a nice one too and it was half the price. I use that for traveling.

The main thing for me is I don't play computer games anymore, but I still need the processing power and graphics card to run resource heavy apps like Photoshop and other adobe products. It works well.

I'll probably upgrade to an even faster laptop in a year or so. Like you, I have enough desktops and don't need anymore. Laptops are much more convenient and are becoming just as good these days.

Cheers,