anyone is willing to go back work for a full time job and set ebay bz aside? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 07-15-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%
Default anyone is willing to go back work for a full time job and set ebay bz aside?

Hello,
Just curious if anyone would get a full time job in stead of getting around with ebay thing full time?

I haven't made big bucks yet. I just feel the ebay/amazon thing is a little fragile
and it takes time to become strong and good on it.

today got a call from a consulting company and they want my skill with decent pay. was wondering what you guys thought about your career future and financial stand related to your ebay plan.

If I do put effort in, I could get back in IT consulting, but a little tired of those stress and office politics.
I love to do my own thing and never was a social person.

sneak around at night on the web just turns me on for some reason.

Love this group and hope you all don't mind I posted something like this.

thanks.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-15-2010

Longevity: 84%

Yeah it get's a little bumpy some times, some months you can make tons of cash and everythings running smooth then other times you could have a bunch of accounts wiped out, packages seized and be back down at the bottom in no time, It takes awhile to master every angle, I'd say at least several months, but yeah it's good to have another source of income to at least cover monthly expenses and inventory for when your packages get seized. I was thinking of taking some courses in computer science myself, not just for the possibility of a future career but for the beneficial knowledge of computers which can also aid in other ways of making money on the internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbluntz For This Useful Post:
pod (08-01-2010)
Old 07-15-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I like doing my own thing. I was in a high-paying high-stress job that nearly killed me. Looking back on it, being let go (the company was bought out, the new owners eliminated my position) was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. Seriously, if I would have continued, I might not be here right now.

The money was great, but the stress was just not worth it. Money is only good if you can enjoy it, which is hard to do working seven days a week, 10+ hours each day.

In the year I've been gone, one of the people I worked closely with keeled over and died of a heart attack - at age 40! He was a little overweight, but not so much so that you would think he would die that young. I'm sure it was the stress that killed him.

Would I take another job and give up selling online? Maybe, if the money was there and the company did not expect me to work 80+ hours per week.

If you feel vulnerable financially, I would take the job and sell on eBay part time. Get your family to help if necessary. Once you have enough in reserve, and you are confident that you can make enough on eBay (or wherever else online) you could always quit. I only say this because jobs are not that easy to come by right now, so if you have a good offer, you definitely want to consider it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
pod (08-01-2010)
Old 07-18-2010

Longevity: 79%

I don't think I will go back to a real job again. I've always hated when someone tells me what to do.

It is relaxing to work at your own pace....
The Following User Says Thank You to chaching For This Useful Post:
pod (08-01-2010)
Old 07-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 87%

I enjoy Ebay on the weekends mainly. But when I get started I can't stop! When things are going well, who wants to stop...its another dollar earned.
Anyway, I would have to make more than what I do now to sit in front of the PC all day and list items. It is rewarding and gratifying in its own way, but can become 'addictive' or 'obssessive' if you go for months, so when I reach that 'burn-out' feeling I like to take 2-3 months off.
That allows me to take a mental break and keeps me off of Ebays site...

Sell while you can though, because in 3-5 years Ebay will be too much like Amazon and they will do away with bidding all together

Good Luck!
waterproof
Old 07-18-2010

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterproof View Post
but can become 'addictive' or 'obssessive'
It should.

The Following User Says Thank You to xl_The_Jackal_lx For This Useful Post:
waterproof (07-27-2010)
Old 07-19-2010

Longevity: 86%

Ebay/Paypal is just to iffy for me to ever rely on it as my only source of income. Between their ever changing policies and sales period I dont see why anybody would only rely on ebay as their only source of income. Yeah it's fun, yeah its addicting, yeah its nice when you make a few extra dollars than you thought on some items, but for me it only stays that way because I dont rely on it as my only source of income so that eleminates most of the stress and keeps it fun. I would definetly take a job over ebay any day of the week.
Old 07-27-2010
Executive [VIP]

It's definately not for everyone. To up and quit your only source of income to reply mainly on Ebay as the number one source.?.?

It would take a GREAT DEAL of confidence and courage to do so. It's for some, but not for all.
Old 07-31-2010

Send a message via Yahoo to IDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz View Post
Yeah it get's a little bumpy some times, some months you can make tons of cash and everythings running smooth then other times you could have a bunch of accounts wiped out, packages seized and be back down at the bottom in no time, It takes awhile to master every angle, I'd say at least several months, but yeah it's good to have another source of income to at least cover monthly expenses and inventory for when your packages get seized. I was thinking of taking some courses in computer science myself, not just for the possibility of a future career but for the beneficial knowledge of computers which can also aid in other ways of making money on the internet.
Sounds like my story.

I cant go to a 9-5... Never. 400-500 a week? Heh... I can make that in hours on eBay. I know one thing. Once I get back into big money it's going into my own online business. I want to do it once, and do it right. I'll never work to put money in someone else pockets again.
The Following User Says Thank You to IDK For This Useful Post:
pod (08-01-2010)
Old 08-01-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
I just feel the ebay/amazon thing is a little fragile
I lived quit well on ebay for many years. I was nieve enough to think that if I did everything right and wasn't wrong I could keep my online business as long as I wanted

That foolishness cost me 100s of thousands of dollars and almost ruined me.
I was stubborn and was under the impression that right and wrong mattered....

Getting it back is twice the work at best. But on principal alone, I will

Two hard facts:
I wish I knew 2 years ago what I know now
I wish I knew now what I will know in 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
I like doing my own thing..
Right on brother. Nuff' said
The Following User Says Thank You to pod For This Useful Post:
aspkin (08-01-2010)
Old 08-01-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

I dont need to work on ebay, I enjoy it, plus its money to spend on ME!!!!

I enjoy this group too, speaking to people all over the world..

You take your own time-out, no commuting, your own hours, family time. I could earn way more in a job, I am very qualified, but for now, its sooo right for me....

My only problem, if you can call it that, is what to say if people ask what I do........right now I say yummy mummy...
Old 08-01-2010

Longevity: 80%

ATM, ebay is my only income ( i am battling a few health issues so that i cannot work atm). It is supporting me in getting my dream together with getting horses good enough that i can live off of their progeny, whilst seeing i dont starve or go crazy. Of course its risky, and once my partner and i finally get our own property (aiming for 200-700 acres of land), so that our whole income will be from the horses, then ebay will become a back burner.
Old 08-01-2010

Longevity: 81%

I have a full-time job... Every day I work till 3 pm and have a lot of days off + summer off... I can devote this time to eBay and pay all the bills... Also, I can afford a vacation and go with my son to the Carribean or Disney World...i am addicted to eBay although it's a tough love...