eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Will you please help me to answer my most-hated question??? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/68775-will-you-please-help-me-answer-my-most-hated-question.html)

kris 01-03-2014 09:55 PM

Will you please help me to answer my most-hated question???

So... What do you guys say when asked what you do for a living? This has been a minor issue for me since I started selling on eBay. I find myself being extremely vague when asked this question, and changing the subject as soon as I can.

My husband and I are looking to move into a new rental home, and I never know exactly what to say when the prospective landlord wants to know how I make my money. We are going to look at (what seems to be) the perfect house this weekend, and I REALLY want it to go well. Obviously I don't have a job related reference to offer, so I at least want to sound somewhat successful (which I am) and like I know what I'm doing!

So... what do you say when asked what you do for a living? Ideas, suggestions or any input at all is greatly appreciated!!!

nivo 01-03-2014 10:04 PM

Re: Will you please help me to answer my most-hated question???

Do not seem to off topic/ dodging the question.. they may think you sell drugs or other illegal activity. Just say the truth, you are an online merchant or some variation. I.e you buy bulk and resell online or you buy and resell - as simple as that.

I would not say this is your problem, but if you reply on one eB, that is a greater problem. As too many people come on here saying they lost their home, cars, valuables, and got a divorce since they did not have several accounts.

rsot 01-04-2014 09:51 AM

Online sales and marketing successful business - that's all - if more asking happens, you can say I have impeccable credit, never any financial issues and no other issues, done. Landlord shouldn't too much of a problem.

Canada isn't bad :) all the best for the weekend

kris 01-04-2014 05:01 PM

Thanks to the 2 of you for answering! (It seems I can always count on you for a reply, rsot - much appreciated!!!) :)

rsot 01-05-2014 09:25 AM

How did the house viewing/renting go?

kris 01-06-2014 12:14 AM

OMG it went GREAT!!! I took your advice and I'm pretty sure we're getting this place... It's beautiful! Pretty sure I overthink everything, including this question! Lol. Really appreciate your help!

nivo 01-06-2014 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris (Post 516791)
OMG it went GREAT!!! I took your advice and I'm pretty sure we're getting this place... It's beautiful! Pretty sure I overthink everything, including this question! Lol. Really appreciate your help!

Only reason we can sell online using stealth as we prep for anything and everything!

oompaloompa 01-06-2014 07:38 AM

tell them you do need to work as you have an inheritence, they will hate you secretly haha...

luverlyjuberly 01-07-2014 12:29 PM

I tell people i am an eBay Millionaire.

sax4 01-09-2014 06:47 AM

Where i live in Eastern Europe they are puzzled when I tell them what I do for a living. Eventually I just say " I'm a biznisman", and they say "ooohhh why didn't you say"

rsot 01-09-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sax4 (Post 517905)
Where i live in Eastern Europe they are puzzled when I tell them what I do for a living. Eventually I just say " I'm a biznisman", and they say "ooohhh why didn't you say"

I remember some of the stuff you told me sax4 hah - like the question you got asked (something like) "You have money coming out of computer?"

oompaloompa 01-10-2014 09:22 AM

or you are a successful alchemist....

vogeltron 01-29-2014 07:24 AM

Rather than joking around. I honestly tell people I am in the liquidation business of the products I sell. A few people ask questions for the most part I give honest answers. I will say even selling 100% Authentic products I never give out my eBay ID or my sources.

Honestly had like 200 questions over the years. How do you buy your products? Like I am going to give away the past 5 years of my life building relationships etc. Unreal. I hate this question as much as you.

Especially if you try to say you make your living mostly on eBay/Amazon etc. Others act like you don't have a real job etc. It is all nonsense. My best suggest is care less what everyone else thinks or says. Make $$$$$.