a-road fast lane - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 02-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default a-road fast lane

I use this A-road alot, it is nearly like a motorway, 3 lanes speed limit 50mph in most parts, but has traffic lights and slow down mph areas. I usually go in middle lane if clear, but whenever I go in fast lane I constantly get these guys flashing, drive up to my bumper, beeping and then when I will not move and they see me laughing, go round me even via third lane and come back in front of me, which I do not care about, except when one even came round and went in front of me and breaked hard, trying to make me crash or the person behind me crash in to me because I breaked. They shout out of the window and hand gestures, I usually wave and smile and that makes them more annoyed....

I do not get it - who is in the wrong me or them? I am at the speed limit or maybe a bit above but they go along to each car and try and make them move if they are not going fast enough or will not move over...

Last edited by oompaloompa; 02-19-2014 at 11:29 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-19-2014

Longevity: 62%
Send a message via ICQ to nivo Send a message via Skype™ to nivo
Default Re: a-road fast lane

They are in the wrong, ethically. If you goto court, your the one that hit him or other person hit you..

If this is a constant problem I would buy one of the cameras that go on your mirror that give like a person looking out your windshield. So you could use this in your defense if it comes to it. Even if you do not pay for damage, it could make your insurance go up which is never good..

I am unaware of any of these mirrors that have 2 cameras (for front & back views) but that would be more ideal so the judge or whomever would see them behind you, then pass, brake, etc.
Old 02-19-2014

Longevity: 59%

Realisticly you shouldn't even be in the middle lane.

You should be in the inside lane. The other 2 are for overtaking.

I'm the one behind you flashing to move in.

Outside lanes are for overtaking.

You can get instant fines and points if a police officer witnesses you "middle lane hogging".
Old 02-19-2014
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

As above, always drive on the inside lane unless overtaking.

You're a bad man oompa!
Old 02-19-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

that is not the reality though, from my observations, the inside lane is where the slow drivers are, the middle is the medium pace traffic and fast movers are in fast line, that is outside lane right? the inside is where hard shoulder/verges are. I drive medium to fast.....

hang on, so how come these flashers are not over-taking, they carry on driving in fast/outside lane. They go from one car bumper after another.... and should they be shouting/swearing and doing the wŁ$ker sign at me and my kid...my kid is tugging the air at people though the window now.....

Last edited by oompaloompa; 02-19-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2014

Longevity: 80%

Fast movers are in the left lane, you need to be in the right lane and when you want to pass someone move to middle lane since there are 3 lanes.
Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
ilcarletto (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014

Longevity: 63%

This is completely ridiculous. If you are doing the legal speed limit of 50 drive in the inside lane (nearest to the verge). If you are driving 60 in a 50, then stay in the middle lane.
If you are doing 70 and above stay in the fast lane, although usually you should just go back into the middle, unless you are passing everyone and no-one is coming up behind you going even faster.

"I usually go in middle lane if clear, but whenever I go in fast lane I constantly get these guys flashing, drive up to my bumper, beeping " That's because you physically hold up traffic for no reason, the outer lane (fast lane) is used for over-taking or speeding. Have you never been on motorways? It's the exact same un-spoken rules of the road.

In all fairness a 3 lane a-road national speed-limit should be 70 if there is a divider between the oncoming traffic and your lanes.

Even on normal 1 lane A-Roads most drive around 70, so long as there are no speed cameras or villages/towns nearby it's not that much of a difference.(In comparison to doing the national speed limit of 60 in a 1 lane a-road)

This really isn't that difficult and is good road manners.
Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

strange question, have I ever been on motorways.....I have driven all over the world, up volcanos and down rainforests....v good driver, what I do not like is if I am going fast, why does someone who wants to go ridiculously fast think they can intimidate me in to moving aside, they are not overtaking, they want the lane as their own personal racetrack, how am I physically holding up traffic, they need to stay behind me if I am at speed limit or above......
Old 02-20-2014
just_smile

Its fine to do the speed limit in the fast lane, but once you have overtaken the cars in the middle lane, you need to pull in to the middle lane then the inside lane if its clear.

I hate people that sit in the middle lane doing 60mph when the inside is clear. Its hazardous!
Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%

It all really depends on how busy the road is.

If there are a lot of other cars about, then the 2nd lane is the one you want to be in if you are on the speed limit but there are other cars going slower (they should be in the first slowest lane). You then use the 3rd lane to overtake those who are going slower in the 2nd lane

If the road is deserted, or there is just the occasional slow driver then you want to be in the first lane even if you are doing the speed limit, that allows those than want to be going fater to use the 2nd lane to overtake you, they themselves should then back into the first lane. Really on a deserted road the 3rd lane should rarely be used.
Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

the middle almost always is full up!!! why would you go back in there and slow right down, I and the beeper behind me want to go faster than the middle, what I do not get is why the beeper gets to dictate the speed....

some of you are talking about road rules from 1930s, no traffic, 2 overtaking lanes and 1 driving lane, seriously, you have not driven in and around london then......the beepers/gesturers are a**holes
Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
the beepers/gesturers are a**holes
Totally agree.

I had more in mind motorways and roads which can be pretty empty.

On the A1 which is nearly always busy I do tend to stay in the middle lane simply because you get a lot of slow drivers in the 1st lane and I do not want to be changing lanes all the time. If someone wants to overtake me on a road like that they can go into the outside lane to dam well do it.

In Birmingham I just get the train whenever possible. Way way too many bad drivers about. Worst city to drive in in the UK
Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

That's because the drivers in Birmingham have camels and not proper cars.

Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
That's because the drivers in Birmingham have camels and not proper cars.

They definitely do not have drivings licences or insurance.
Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I repeat these drivers are NOT overtaking, they are never leaving the fast lane, they go from car to car, making them move, they are wanting to go 80-100mph all the way...

I have been avoiding motorway driving in some parts of Europe, due to nutcases....try driving in Sicily..
Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

They are overtaking everyone in the middle lanes.

Those types are no doubts pricks, but my thought remain the same.

If you are doing the speed limit and the road is empty be in the first lane.

If you doing the speed limit and the road is fairly busy be in the middle lane using the outside lane to overtake.

There will always be those who want to just stick it out in the outside lane the entire way trying to do 100mph.

If you move from middle lane to outside land to overtake and one of them comes up behind you just complete the overtake, move back into the middle lane and then hope there is a speed trap just ahead for them to fall into
Old 02-20-2014
just_smile

If everyone drove properly, at the right speed and distance, all of these problems would ve avoided.

Too many people don't know how to drive, as evidenced in this thread.
Old 02-20-2014

It doesn't matter if they come up behind you wanting to do 100mph in the fast lane and your doing the speed limit. You are not the police, nor do they care.

What I don't understand is why you feel that You should dictate what speed THEY drive.
Old 02-20-2014
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

It does matter - I do not care about how fast they go, but I do care that they should not drive up my bum and that is not legal.....it is a queue, try that in the post office and see how far you get, people think they can behave differently in their cars.....usually poorly educated, inadequate males in rubbish cars or vans.....
Old 02-20-2014

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
They are overtaking everyone in the middle lanes.

Those types are no doubts pricks, but my thought remain the same.

If you are doing the speed limit and the road is empty be in the first lane.

If you doing the speed limit and the road is fairly busy be in the middle lane using the outside lane to overtake.

There will always be those who want to just stick it out in the outside lane the entire way trying to do 100mph.

If you move from middle lane to outside land to overtake and one of them comes up behind you just complete the overtake, move back into the middle lane and then hope there is a speed trap just ahead for them to fall into
Sorry to say this but the M25 fast lane is mine....that's when you actually get out of first gear. I only ever move into the middle if I have one of these idiots basically pushing me over
Old 02-21-2014

Longevity: 77%

I agree these people have bad personality and think they are more important, they behave like this only in a car as they are protected and anonymous, I see it all the time