any tips for selling to retailers who have no solicitation sign on door - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 07-07-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 56%
Default any tips for selling to retailers who have no solicitation sign on door

Okay, I want to talk with certain retail stores to buy some of their products for resale on ebay or what not. Problem is, most stores are not interested in solicitors of products. So far, I have considered using flyers (mailed or just dropped off at store door opening), email (locating local stores / local store managers email addresses requires a high priced Private I these days), and even cold calling (not my strong suit). I have also considered facebook and a website, but I still need a way to reach decision makers, and social media is not my strong suit or passion either.

I have not tried anything yet, I am just gearing up. Without being too specific, I plan on buying returns and other things that might otherwise be thrown away or scissored, but will have to negotiate price and a system that is win-win. Kind of like buying a pallet from a liquidation place, but for a guy on a budget. I realise most stores will not have time for this, and also that most big chain stores will not deal with me. I am thinking more mom and pop non franchised places, and even if I get 100 no's, I only need 2 or 3 yes's.

Does anyone have advice or experience doing this?

Thank you
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-08-2014

Longevity: 73%
Default Re: any tips for selling to retailers who have no solicitation sign on door

I really like your idea
Don't know if that will work out for you but a few years ago we had a store inside a mall and I would have been happy when you stepped in,
Good luck
Old 07-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: any tips for selling to retailers who have no solicitation sign on door

Nice one. Thinking outside the box.

Couple of suggestions:

See if you can find out if there is involvement in moving on products not needed etc.
(eg, should they already send stock out to overstock or similar, then maybe nothing might be available.)
Where you find there's not apprarent program, I would consider a well written letter to the company. I would try to be professional.

Hope this helps & I will look forward to updates.
Old 07-08-2014
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 56%

thanks guys, I will keep all that in mind.
Old 07-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Several Years ago my parents were sourcing for some products (not for selling online) and surprisingly my Mom contacted a sub-contractor who just happen to be making the product my Mom wanted to buy...So in the end, My mom was buying the product for next to nothing and making a killing.

Always think outside the box.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
Several Years ago my parents were sourcing for some products (not for selling online) and surprisingly my Mom contacted a sub-contractor who just happen to be making the product my Mom wanted to buy...So in the end, My mom was buying the product for next to nothing and making a killing.

Always think outside the box.
Amazing MM78 the stuff that isn't taught in school well hah
Old 07-11-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 7%
Longevity: 66%

Lots of major retail outlets contract out their unwanted merchandise to others. I have dealt with a few small companies at Vegas trade shows who do this. They will get unwanted products from Kohls or other retailers. I know Costco usually have an auction house somewhere in the respective area that they give all their returned items to sell.

You might even want to just ask what they do with the returned items, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
aspkin (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

That's a good idea.. get in with the trade show folk to buy their products in bulk. I know plenty of people who would be open to that idea. They just like to see you can move their product and not waste their time.

Just keep at it Jay.. don't give up.. try new ways to make your proposal look good and you'll land some suppliers. And show them you mean business.. otherwise they'll brush you off as someone wasting their time.

I suggest watching this guy for some tips.. he knows what's up.. .

Old 07-14-2014
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

My brother knew a family in the 1970s who sold Fuller Brush. They were the local head of it for the district and had tons of people working under them selling.

His friend was one of their boys and as a discussion one day they were talking about paper routes and making 30-50 a week doing it.

My brother said I can make more money selling hair brushes, air freshener etc that your parents sell then getting up at 5 am. He said no way, you have to be an adult and very good at it.

My brother talked them into giving him a Fuller Brush dealer case they used to sell door to door with.

One Saturday by himself he sold 750.00 worth of Fuller Brush items.

The laugh was he sold more in one day then any seller they had working under them did in one week.

So if a 15 year old can become a Fuller Brush salesman and do as well as he did and he did it for more then a year. Then you can do whatever you want in life if you work hard, think and go for it.

I also know a man who started selling silk flowers out of the back of his van to retail florist shops. He ordered silk flowers wholesale and within one year had 3 vans, 3 employees and a huge warehouse full of silk flowers, vases, styofoam, wedding supplies etc to sell to Florida shops.

He went in to a Florist not known, handed them a business card, talked to them, got them to come to his van and sold the heck out of items.

As far as your idea goes, returns are actually trouble because why do people return items, something is wrong with them. Also, retail stores sell these items in bulk to huge, and I mean huge companies by the truck loads.

When you said you dont have a strong suit of cold calling that is not a good thing. You will need to overcome that to be able to deal face to face with a decision maker at some point.
Old 07-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post

I also know a man who started selling silk flowers out of the back of his van to retail florist shops. He ordered silk flowers wholesale and within one year had 3 vans, 3 employees and a huge warehouse full of silk flowers, vases, styofoam, wedding supplies etc to sell to Florida shops.

He went in to a Florist not known, handed them a business card, talked to them, got them to come to his van and sold the heck out of items.
Think we know the same guy !
Old 07-14-2014
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Think we know the same guy !
I would not think so.