why hasnt anyone made competition for ebay? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 08-02-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 44%
Default why hasnt anyone made competition for ebay?

I think this site has some very skilled people and i don't see why it hasn't been attempted yet. The category i post in is controlled by like 10 companies and if you add their feedback together and times it by the average cost of items it is in the millions. Why not make a site like ebay was supposed to be in the first place. a place for every day people to make decent money and not be run out by corporations and all of ebay and paypals rules. I'm sure if half of the high ranking stealth members but 20% of their time into a site it would blow up. . . . . just an idea.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-02-2016

Default Re: why hasnt anyone made competition for ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattedupmike View Post
I think this site has some very skilled people and i don't see why it hasn't been attempted yet. The category i post in is controlled by like 10 companies and if you add their feedback together and times it by the average cost of items it is in the millions. Why not make a site like ebay was supposed to be in the first place. a place for every day people to make decent money and not be run out by corporations and all of ebay and paypals rules. I'm sure if half of the high ranking stealth members but 20% of their time into a site it would blow up. . . . . just an idea.
I am with you and willing to give proper time to establish similar site like eBay and I will be the first to open a seller account if they legally permits me and
Old 08-02-2016

Longevity: 50%

well, paypal has many competitor already, and tell me if i mistake, but ebay is not growing anymore. in my opinion it's now an old company and new profitable business born everydays, especialy on smartphones. That's just my thinking, and also I have many other things to do instead of wasting my time to earn more money than I can spend
The Following User Says Thank You to TOOKNAPA For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016
Threadstarter  

thank you i am glad to be here. this place is awesome!

well hopefully some people wouldn't mind investing their time to improve their future and the future of others.

listening to tyga "40 mil" you should give it a listen lol
Old 08-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

@Tooknapa - Ebay grew significantly this past quarter

@OP - 1/3 of the money spent online goes to Amazon, which is Ebay's primary competition. Then there's places like Etsy and iOffer which have taken business from Ebay but still don't get 1/10th the traffic of Ebay.

This reminds me of that thread by the forum member itemauctions. Just because you copy/paste a bunch of HTML and create an auction website, that doesn't mean it's going to be successful. How would you get the tens of millions of Amazon/Ebay shoppers to go to your site instead?
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016
Threadstarter  

well everything takes time to build up a name. i remember when i had a myspace and a few friends were telling me about facebook and i wasn't interested at all. now facebook rules the world and myspace is dog**** lol. lower fees would bring in more sellers and keep the big box companies out. at the same time pair up with a reliable money payment company besides paypal and I'm sure all of the people that have ever had an issue with ebay or paypal would jump ship real quick
Old 08-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Ok, so you would have a bunch of shady sellers but where would the buyers come from for their shady products?

I understand what you're saying but the internet is much different now than it was in the days of Myspace. It was fairly easy back then to start a popular site. But the internet is much more crowded these days and it would be d*** near impossible to take any of Ebay/AZ's business unless you have some super cool, revolutionary concept.

The fact is the big box companies drive more traffic to Ebay than anyone else, so they are given preferential treatment.

Also, the fees are necessary. Ebay has hundreds of employees and fees are nearly the only way they make money. The itemauction guy tried to make an auction site with zero fees, which is stupid. If a site can't make any money then what's the point?
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016
Threadstarter  

yeah i totally agree with you on that one. cant run a business with no fees. i didn't mean shady sellers just people who have had issues with ebay or paypal would have a familiar place to go to. if you go to the ebay community you will sell long time sellers losing their accounts over the stupidest stuff. i think if you made a site that was free to list items and you only paid when stuff sold it would get people who sell on there. and word of mouth and a sponsored facebook notification that ends up on peoples feeds would spread the word.
Old 08-02-2016
Threadstarter  

i definitely couldn't do this type of thing. hell my listings suck compared to my competition cause I'm not an html expert and cant afford to spend big bucks on a company to do it for me.
Old 08-02-2016

If one can introduce same concept of eBay with minimum selling fees (buyer can get lower price then eBay) with an option of cash payment through some cash cards where no charge-back involved. This will work like a charm.
Old 08-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Ebay has new competitors all the time. Amazon being the current biggest and Groupon being the newest.

This whole idea ebay does not have new competition is kinda silly.

And we have hundreds of worthless sites like NastyBob is saying or most likely many thousands of them on the net, but what is the point if you dont have buyers????????

In my world I have archeryauctions.com It is free and a neat little site. Owners reside just down the road from me. Site has had a ton of publicity over the years but I have sold exactly $29.99 over a decade on it total.
Old 08-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Yahoo had something that they tried as a marketplace and that flopped - eB is just so heavily-ingrained into the society...
Old 08-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Ebay and Amazon started when there were no competitors, if a company tried today...it would cost a lot of money. There are several competitors out there but none that can compete.
Old 08-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattedupmike View Post
i definitely couldn't do this type of thing. hell my listings suck compared to my competition cause I'm not an html expert and cant afford to spend big bucks on a company to do it for me.
There are several sites, software that can be used freely to get html that looks decent.
Old 08-02-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

The main benefit of launching on ebay and amazon is 'traffic'. That's it. They have grown over the last decade+ and have the funds to constantly publicise their brand/image/website - to the degree their traffic will constantly increase (or at least remain as it is).

That is all that puts them ahead of everyone else. That is also the reason why people opt to sell on their platform, because it won't cost these individuals a dime to generate traffic and sales, compared to the huge investment they would need to launch their own website (let alone become a competitor).

Here's my stance on the future - ebay and amazon will remain for some time to come. But something else will eventually replace them. I highly doubt one of the existing competitors would do it, take ETSY for example, they focus on one niche. iOffer, a pretty obvious niche. Whereas ebay and amazon don't restrict themselves, their goal is the moon and back in terms of products/categories.
Old 08-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
Ebay and Amazon started when there were no competitors, if a company tried today...it would cost a lot of money. There are several competitors out there but none that can compete.

I got faith in you MM78 - you have the venture capital to do so
Old 08-02-2016
Threadstarter  

i tried amazon and it took 2 weeks to get the shop up and running since a member of their team had to approve my listings and create skus or whatever. i had it for 1 month didn't sell a single item and got a bill for 157 bucks. i thought amazon would work out great but I'm not gonna pay when i have 0 sales.
Old 08-03-2016

I try many times to buy something from other sites but found nothing over there or else the prices are more than eBay.
I don't know a single site on internet where I can find almost everything like eBay/amazon.
As a buyer I have no problem to buy from any site if it meet three requirments

1- Product availability
2- Price
3- User friendly/Acceptable payment method