holiday home etiquette - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 08-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default holiday home etiquette

do you guys let any friends use your holiday home for free or charge them for it?

I am constantly getting 'friends' that want to rent it, I reckon want to go for free and are just saying they will rent it, in the hope that I will let them go for free or at a reduced price, I think their attitude is that if it is empty, why shouldnt they stay there. There is nothing in it for me to do that, they do not have holiday homes that I can swap with. Was thinking of saying yes, but at market rent and see if that makes them go quiet.....

Old 08-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: holiday home etiquette

Really upto you at the end of the day

I use a friends holiday home in Europe now and then for free and in return I make sure to get them an expensive gift as a thanks

If you want to charge your friends to use it then just tell them it would cost X amount per month and see if they take you up on it not. If you don't want to charge them don't. Only you can decide

Most the time people offer their friends use of holiday homes either free free or at mates rates if it's sat empty otherwise, at least in my experience
Old 08-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

I think it depends how good of friends you are with these people, could you count on them for help? Would they bail you out of jail if you were arrested? Or are they "Acquaintances"?

Personally if they were my best friend I would let em use it for free, all I would ask is they don't destroy the place and perhaps clean after themselves...but then again I would hope my best friend would do all that without me asking.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (08-29-2016)
Old 08-28-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

They hinted years ago and I just did not say too much, so they got the message, but then they heard that I let some other friends stay there for free, however it was a swap and I stayed at this other couples home in another country for free....now they started mentioning it again....

I do not know if they would bail me out but to be honest, I do not want to subsidise other peoples incomes,and if I wanted to rent it out, I could do so at market rates in high season....but I cant be bothered, I just close the iron shutters/gates when I leave, and I keep personal stuff there, like a home from home....

I mean I know it is harmless for them to stay there, but if they cause damage or something goes wrong, it will be me who is the bad guy...and what is in it for me really.....just wanted peoples opinions as some people were telling me there was no harm, but I just do not see it myself....
Old 08-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
Would they bail you out of jail if you were arrested?
Very best friends would be right there with you in jail!
Old 08-28-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

There is a reason why there is a saying 'Dont mix business with pleasure'
I have had plenty of bad experiences with this to speak of.

If they were your friends, then they wouldnt be making you feel this uncomfortable, or put you in a situation you dont want to be in.

It may be standing there empty, but they will be using the lights, water and what ever other bills you pay.

but personally, they either want 'mates rates' or a freebie otherwise they would just pay for somewhere else.

My thoughts are, if they are bold enough to ask you for this, then they should be bold enough to receive what ever your reply is.
Old 08-28-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

In addition to what everyone else has said, I would say, you know them best, and you should be able to tell (from atleast visitng their own home) if they are clean and considerate.

Clean and considerate because you don't want your holiday home looking like a tip when you return there for your next vacation.

If their home doesn't reflect the standards your after, I would just politely say no.

Personally, I don't do any business with friends and family on the basis that I have seen relationships being tarnished because something has gone wrong - usually its petty reasons.
Old 08-28-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I agree with do not mix business and pleasure, I had a bad experience years ago, with someone wanting to borrow a large amount of money, I would have been the bad guy whether I did it or not regardless with this person, I did not feel I should have to justify why I was not going to do it, some people think if you have more than them, you should give them some! I think this holiday home thing is the same principle....

they are not asking outright, which is why I have not said no outright.....listen to this...they got their kid to ask my kid if they can go and 'see' this place, lots of small hints.... They said their kid would love to go on holiday to that location area, it all started when they heard some other friends stayed there, however, these friends offered me their house first and I offered mine back, that is different, and I can tell you it does entail some work to let people stay, I had to give detailed instructions, they had a problem with the lock as it has a knack, I had to make an itinary for them and tell them the best places to shop and eat out etc and they did the same back for me............

this is 2 sets of people from the same social group - I think they spoke to each other and are now taking it in turns to mention it

someone told me to lie and say it is rented out full-time, but I do not see why I should do that, and anyway they would probably find out it wasnt....

Last edited by oompaloompa; 08-28-2016 at 01:12 PM.