Couldn't set up static IP through VPN on Linux. Help appreciated! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > IP Address

IP Address Changing your IP address, multiple IPs, VPNs, hiding your IP, phone tethering, MiFi devices, hotspots and more.

Old 12-20-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 37%
Default Couldn't set up static IP through VPN on Linux. Help appreciated!

I had a Macbook for the new account, but keeping that Macbook in my possession isn't possible for more than 3 days. Therefore I went back to my laptop and installed Linux Ubuntu. I signed up with PureVPN and subscribed for the Static IP service. However, my attempt to set up a connection to this VPN service has failed.

I followed all instructions on Purevpn.com, but nothing worked. The PPTP protocol s not blocked by my ISP (I followed PureVPN instructions to verify this).

Anyone here with some expertise in Linux?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-21-2017

Longevity: 45%
Default Re: Couldn't set up static IP through VPN on Linux. Help appreciated!

Try this... It was what was preventing SoftEther VPN client from working with Ubuntu...

Configure the DNS by:
$ sudo su
$ echo “nameserver 8.8.8.8” >> “/etc/resolv.conf”

If that works, below is a way to permanently fix the issue with dns. I'm guessing you somewhat know Linux commands and how to find where files are kept with "ls" cmd. You will have to change some file locations in the scripts I wrote below. The link to the thread I wrote is down at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
I finely figured this out 100%

The DNS nameserver should come from the vpnserver itself. It is set up in VPN server manager > Virtual NAT and Virtual DHCP Server > SecureNAT Configuration.

I guess the DNS nameserver issue is caused by a bug in Debian based OS's (Ubuntu, etc..) If your using something else like CentOS you shouldn't have to fix this issue. The DNS should come from the vpnserver without this fix.

To automate the DNS nameserver change that is suppose to come from the SoftEther vpnserver you must first disconnect from the VPN by:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/vpnclient stop

Next we need to edit the /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file by:
$ sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

We need to comment dns=dnsmaq to disable it.
dns=dnsmasq

(i.e., add a # so that it looks like the following)
#dns=dnsmasq

Then write the file ctrl+o then ctrl+m then exit ctrl+x

Then we need to restart network manager by:
$ sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

After this fix all you need to do is run the vpnclient init script to use the vpn connection.

https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ip-add...x-tutoral.html
Old 12-29-2017

Longevity: 36%

Did this work? I am also interested in PureVPN, and RapidVPN
Old 12-30-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Try this... It was what was preventing SoftEther VPN client from working with Ubuntu...

Configure the DNS by:
$ sudo su
$ echo “nameserver 8.8.8.8” >> “/etc/resolv.conf”

If that works, below is a way to permanently fix the issue with dns. I'm guessing you somewhat know Linux commands and how to find where files are kept with "ls" cmd. You will have to change some file locations in the scripts I wrote below. The link to the thread I wrote is down at the bottom.

https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ip-add...x-tutoral.html

Thanks for taking the time to post the valuable info. The problem I had had nothing to do with DNS configuration. It was merely a router problem. The Fritz!box modem I have was blocking PPTP protocols and there is no way around that issue except for buying a new one (e.g: TP-Link). Here is a list of supported routers and protocols by PureVPN:

https://support.purevpn.com/supporte...-and-protocols

I decided not to use PureVPN at the end because PPTP is an obsolete protocol and provides very weak and breakable encryption. I cancelled my membership and submitted a refund form, luckily enough they refunded me what I paid.

I also gave up the idea of getting a Static IP all together because no body can guarantee a fresh Dedicated IP no matter what (A VPN business wouldn't be financially viable if it does not recycle the IPs between users). An IP alone will not get a new account in trouble unless it was heavily abused. I hooked my device up to an internet hotspot near my house (it costs me ~ 20$ per month) and they give me a new IP address every time I sign in.

I think getting a new internet connection from a different ISP is far better than going the VPN route. It just makes more sense to me
Old 12-30-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatgrass View Post
Did this work? I am also interested in PureVPN, and RapidVPN

I can speak about PureVPN as I have tried their service for a couple days. I am using Linux and they could only provide Static IP to me as long as I use the PPTP protocol (which has very weak encryption and is obsolete btw). So I decided to cancel and file for a refund. However, I tried their service on an android device and the connection was indeed super fast. They also provide 24/7 customer support which is a nice thing to have.