Cant Get New IP Address With Router - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > IP Address

IP Address Changing your IP address, multiple IPs, VPNs, hiding your IP, phone tethering, MiFi devices, hotspots and more.

Old 02-03-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 88%
Default Cant Get New IP Address With Router

Hi there i have a few stealth accounts setup and there all organized with an excel spreadsheet each account has its own separate mac address for the router. I entered the separate mac address for one stealth account and it gave me an ip address from one of my other stealth accounts so I can't you this ip address. But It keeps coming back to this ip address I have tried resetting the router and unplugging modem for an hour and no success. Do you guys have any advice. Does ebay see your mac address or just your ip address is it okay to login into my ebay with a different mac address then the one I registered with. Sorry for the long post just wanted to be clear on everything. Thanks in advance for the help.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-03-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Spencer

probably help if you say what equipment you are using.

Double-check with the company that supplies you internet access. You might be able to get a 2nd IP on your plan
Old 02-03-2010
Threadstarter  

im using a regular cable modem and a d-link dir655 router. And yes my isp provides multiple ip addresses and I have dynamic ip.
Old 02-03-2010
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer785 View Post
Hi there i have a few stealth accounts setup and there all organized with an excel spreadsheet each account has its own separate mac address for the router. I entered the separate mac address for one stealth account and it gave me an ip address from one of my other stealth accounts so I can't you this ip address. But It keeps coming back to this ip address I have tried resetting the router and unplugging modem for an hour and no success. Do you guys have any advice. Does ebay see your mac address or just your ip address is it okay to login into my ebay with a different mac address then the one I registered with. Sorry for the long post just wanted to be clear on everything. Thanks in advance for the help.
You'll be fine spencer; use another Mac address, get a new IP and move on. EBay can not see your Mac address.
Old 02-03-2010

Longevity: 82%

Again, without your exact equipment, it's hard to tell you EXACTLY what you need to do... but, it sounds to me like your DHCP or PPPOE session is not expiring, and so you're getting the same IP address.

If your ISP is giving you a dynamic IP address, this is assigned to the MAC address it encounters in your router when the modem is powered on. If you simply power off the modem, your session with your ISP is NOT CLOSED. This means the IP address you had when you turned off your modem stays locked to that modem (even if you change the MAC) for a pre-determined amount of time. This is set by your ISP, so it may be a few minutes or 24 hours.

I was having this exact same problem, until I did some digging around in my MODEM configuration pages. Here I was able to find "current connection status" or something to that effect (may be different on yours), which was listed as "connected" and then I clicked on "release" (may be disconnect or something along those lines on yours)

THEN change the MAC on your router
THEN reboot your router
THEN reboot your modem

Hope that helps!
Old 02-03-2010
Threadstarter  

thanks for all your guys help i finally got a new ip address with mac address i wanted. What i did was go into my router and click dhcp release or something like that and then unplugged my router and cable modem overnight and when i plugged it in the morning new ip worked perfect. Usually i just changed the router mac address and then bam new ip but no luck this time. But at least this way worked thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-03-2010

Longevity: 82%

That's it! Glad you found the DHCP release button! That is the key. Once you click on that, there is no need to leave your modem off over night. Just release the DHCP, change your MAC address, and then power everything off and then back on. Should be able to change your IP in only a few minutes using this method.