Optus Cable Internet IP Can not be changed - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > IP Address

IP Address Changing your IP address, multiple IPs, VPNs, hiding your IP, phone tethering, MiFi devices, hotspots and more.

Old 11-28-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%
Default Optus Cable Internet IP Can not be changed

Hi guys

I have purchased the stealth but hit a brick wall. all this while i am trying to change the IP address as shown on the ebook. but unfortunately I can not change it. I called the Optus network and confirmed my IP is dynamic and also request the technician if they could guide me how to change the IP address they said they simply can not shuffle the IP addresses because it has locked into the modem ... to be honest I have no idea what the technician explained.
what i could not find is Wan Mac address to change the last digits. I tried the direct connection option and try to config IP address but still no luck.

I really hope someone can help me out here man I tried every possible way I could think.
cheers guys
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-28-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: Optus Cable Internet IP Can not be changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnk2013 View Post
Hi guys

. I called the Optus network and confirmed my IP is dynamic and also request the technician if they could guide me how to change the IP address they said they simply can not shuffle the IP addresses because it has locked into the modem ... to be honest I have no idea what the technician explained.

cheers guys
Aw, Optus are getting better at their responses to CONFUSE their customers.

What type of modem do you have etc?

If we can not 'do' an IP change with your cable, you will still have other options.

But let's see what we can work with for starters.

Old 11-28-2013
Threadstarter  

Hi Greenie

Thank you for responding back!
The modem optus provided me with is NETGEAR wireless modem.
currently it has directly connected via Ethernet to my laptop.
please let me know if you need more information. thank you for your time
Old 11-28-2013
Threadstarter  

Hi greenie

you mentioned that i have other options! could you please tell me what else i can do?
on the ebook it says if i can not get the Internet provider to change IP address change it to another broadband plan.
this is what i am considering. if you have any other thoughts i would love to hear it
thank you
Old 11-28-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%

Quote:
Hi greenie

you mentioned that i have other options! could you please tell me what else i can do?
on the ebook it says if i can not get the Internet provider to change IP address change it to another broadband plan.
this is what i am considering. if you have any other thoughts i would love to hear it
thank you
It could be the modem. It happened to me with an smc modem. Could not change the IP whatsoever, but once I changed to a Motorola, it worked. If you are willing to take the risk of buying a different modem, maybe it is worth it for you.
Old 11-29-2013
Threadstarter  

HI glacier922

Thank you for your advise. could you please tell me what model of Motorola modem you changed to? I am seriously considering invest on a new modem/router.
I greatly appreciate your time mate
Old 11-29-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 68%

@pnk2013...it sounds like Optus provided you an all-in-one modem/router. Is that correct? Do you have a wifi router connected to their modem?

If it is indeed an all-in-one combo modem/router, then changing the IP on those are tricky, as it requires you to put it in bridge mode.

as glacier922 mentions, you can exchange the modem you have with Optus and request they provide you a standalone modem and you use your own wifi router.

OR if this is not possible, as Greenie mentioned, look into other options such as IP tethering, dongle, dial-up.
The Following User Says Thank You to An0nym0u$ For This Useful Post:
pnk2013 (02-06-2014)
Old 11-29-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%

Quote:
HI glacier922

Thank you for your advise. could you please tell me what model of Motorola modem you changed to? I am seriously considering invest on a new modem/router.
I greatly appreciate your time mate
I got a motorola sb6121. I think they sell it at walmart, so if it doesn't work out for you, it's easier to return it.
Old 11-29-2013
Executive [VIP]

OP is based in AU, and their provider (Optus) doesn't show the motorola sb6121 in their approved list of equipment.

Here is Optus's approve list of equipment.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/Broadb...Equipment-List

You can possibly try another motorola version that is a standalone modem.

I suggest calling Optus and requesting them to replace your all-in-one w/ a standalone one.
pnk2013 (02-06-2014)
Old 11-30-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacier922 View Post
I got a motorola sb6121. I think they sell it at walmart, so if it doesn't work out for you, it's easier to return it.
Thank you. unfortunately we do not have walmart here in Australia.
Old 11-30-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0u$ View Post
@pnk2013...it sounds like Optus provided you an all-in-one modem/router. Is that correct? Do you have a wifi router connected to their modem?

If it is indeed an all-in-one combo modem/router, then changing the IP on those are tricky, as it requires you to put it in bridge mode.

as glacier922 mentions, you can exchange the modem you have with Optus and request they provide you a standalone modem and you use your own wifi router.

OR if this is not possible, as Greenie mentioned, look into other options such as IP tethering, dongle, dial-up.
Hi An0nym0u$

Thank you for responding. Yes you are correct Optus supplied me with all-in-one combo modem/router by NETGEAR.
What have I decided is to change my braodband plan from Optus to Telstra. I do have some issue with the Optus network sometimes the Internet goes off line and sometimes I have to re start modem to work my other wireless devices.
bu the way I greatly appreciate all of you guys help. once I get this IP address issue out of the way I can happily move on to creating my first eBay Stealth account!!!.
Old 11-30-2013
Executive [VIP]

Anytime pnk2013.

You want to always go with the standalone modem (whether you choose Optus or Telstra).

Newer customers will be given the all-in-one modems that act as a wifi router because that is the newer technology. But if you demand the older standalone modem, your ISP will generally grant your wish (since you're the paying customer of course).

Once you have the standalone modem, get yourself a wifi router of your own. From there, you should be able to change IPs relatively easily. (

If all else fails, there are other possibilites that were mentioned in previous posts (ip tethering, dongle, dial up).

Best of luck,
pnk2013 (02-06-2014)
Old 12-01-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Anytime pnk2013.

But if you demand the older standalone modem, your ISP will generally grant your wish (since you're the paying customer of course).

Once you have the standalone modem, get yourself a wifi router of your own. From there, you should be able to change IPs relatively easily. (

If all else fails, there are other possibilites that were mentioned in previous posts (ip tethering, dongle, dial up).

Best of luck,
That is not a given with Telstra. Before going with that ISP, the OP would be better to see what type of modem is offered. 'Free' modems may be handed out. The ISP may be unwilling to offer an alternative.

I think it would be preferable if the OP posted here what type of modem he is getting before committing to a contract.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
pnk2013 (02-06-2014)
Old 12-02-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
That is not a given with Telstra. Before going with that ISP, the OP would be better to see what type of modem is offered. 'Free' modems may be handed out. The ISP may be unwilling to offer an alternative.

I think it would be preferable if the OP posted here what type of modem he is getting before committing to a contract.

Hi Greenie

I did call Optus back again to see if they can supply me with the modem(motorola or similar) they said they can but the technician said even after supplying new modem that they can not confirm that the IP address will be changed.It is a risk that I have to take on my end!!

So this is why I have called Telstra and got it confirmed by their Technician that the supplied modem I can definitely change my IP address by rebooting or restarting the modem If i wanted the IP address to be changed.
they said something like " modem is preconfigured" Is this make any sense?
Thank you for your time
Old 12-02-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Anytime pnk2013.

You want to always go with the standalone modem (whether you choose Optus or Telstra).

Newer customers will be given the all-in-one modems that act as a wifi router because that is the newer technology. But if you demand the older standalone modem, your ISP will generally grant your wish (since you're the paying customer of course).

Best of luck,

Thank you An0nym0u$
Old 12-02-2013

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Thank you for responding back!
The modem optus provided me with is NETGEAR wireless modem.
currently it has directly connected via Ethernet to my laptop.
please let me know if you need more information. thank you for your time
Since they gave you a Netgear, I believe OPTUS is PPPoE. Go to any store and buy another Netgear. Follow religiously and let me know:
1. Find the MAC Address from the OPTUS Netgear
2. Find the MAC Address on your new Netgear, record it, but there is always a sticker on the bottom.
3. Configure your new Netgear to SPOOF the MAC address from the OPTUS Netgear.
4. Remove the OPTUS Netgear and connect yours
5. Configure the PPPoE information and connect.
6. Where you able to get connected??
pnk2013 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-05-2014
Threadstarter  

Hi Guys

Let me explain what has happened to my issue with changing IP Address.

I changed my internet service provider from Optus To Telstra but guess what happened?
The so called dynamic IP address did not change,. The most dumbest thing i have done was logged into my suspended ebay account on the newly issued Telstra connection.
i am very dissapointed with the Telstra Tech team assuring me that the ip address can be changed by resetting the modem. cleary it did not work. I called them and now they are saying the IP address is attached to the modem and they can not chnage it.so I am stuck with it.

However i called a technician from telstra today to troubleshoot my wifi connection to my imac computer. so i asked him is there any way i could change the current IP address. he suggested me to buy a new cable router and connect to the exsiting cable modem/router.
once connected turn off the wifi switch off from supplied modem. then the new router will issue a new IP address.

Well before i go head and buy a router i want your guys opinion.
is this suggested method will work?
Hope you guys can help me out.

By the way I have successfly created an eBay Stealth account. i have used my pocket wifi to creat the new ebay and PayPal address. and made few sales already.
YEAH!!!