fastest way to get new IP address - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > IP Address

IP Address Changing your IP address, multiple IPs, VPNs, hiding your IP, phone tethering, MiFi devices, hotspots and more.

Old 02-22-2009
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default fastest way to get new IP address

OK I currently have DSL and in order to get a new IP address I have to unplug my router and modem for like 30 secs and plug them back in. But then I have to wait like 10 mins for my internet to reconfigure itself. Just hate wasting time.

Is there a method to get a new IP address instantly with DSL?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-22-2009

Longevity: 96%

As soon as the modem reboots I'm good to go 2-3 minutes tops
Old 02-23-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

Try changing the MAC address..
Old 02-23-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

'Fastest' way means you might make an error. No need to rush. Have a good read thro' the IP address forum. There are many posts explaining how to change IPs. Take your time so you know EXACTLY what to do. Then you do not make a mistake and have accounts running fine.
Old 03-02-2009

Longevity: 88%
Default IP issues

Most people have dynamic IP's these days, which means it should be easy to switch IPs , yet for some people this may not work very well.

In some cases, especially with new Fiber optic networks, even if you RESET, or UNPLUG your router , you still get the same IP when you return online. That's because there is a additional device, a fiberoptic bridge, that sits usually outside the house, is powered from the pole, and cannot be easily reset or powered down by the user. This device will continue to hold a live connection (and thus an IP)even when you fiddle with your router.

You will need to get into your router' configuration screen (192.168.1.1) and find the settings for DHCP LEASE.
then RELEASE DHCP LEASE. this tells the centreal office server to break your connection, even if some equpment at your house is stil live.
Then wait a while and choose
RENEW DHCP LEASE.

Depending on cases, you may also need to unplug your router and wait between 0-6 hours before renewing the DHCP LEASE.
Some systems will automatically start RENEWing the lease as soon as you break it. you need to experiment.

The provider's server WILL MOST LIKELY TRY TO GIVE YOU THE SAME IP AFTER ANY INTERRUPTION, IF THAT IP IS STIL AVAILABLE. THIS IS STANDARD PROTOCOL, AND SERVERS ARE PROGRAMMED TO OPERATE IN THIS WAY.

Providers know that some IPs can sometimes become blacklisted by various web services due to dubious or malicious activity by the IP's user. therefore, to prevent too many IP's from being thus contaminated, they tend to give you the SAME IP as you had before WHENEVER POSSIBLE, to limit the extent of damage.

When you take your equipment off line, you return your old IP to a pool of available IP's in your ISP server resources. But when you return, the central office will first look to see if your old IP is still avaiable, and give it to you again if so.

What you are trying to do, is often to stay off line long enough for your IP to be allocated to someone else, which will then FORCE the server to assign you a new IP .
Breaking the DHCP lease, and disconnecting equipment during this time, increases your chances of this.

In an area with a lot of subscribers sharing a small pool of IP's your IP could get reassigned within seconds of being released. In an area with a high IP to subscriber ratio, it may take hours.

Last edited by sick-bay; 03-02-2009 at 10:29 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sick-bay For This Useful Post:
Lyda (01-15-2010), NZT (01-06-2010), stepia (07-23-2009)
Old 03-02-2009

Default IPs again

Be careful when requesting the assistance of your internet provider in changing your IP.

Network administrators are very weary of users who want to change IP's often.

There is NO NORMAL USE OF THE INTERNET THAT WOULD REQUIRE SOMEONE TO CHANGE IP'S, SO SUCH A REQUEST IS VERY UNUSUAL, and sticks out like a sore thumb. Only users who engage in dubious activities on the web need frequent IP changes.

People who misrepresent themselves, send SPAM, commit credit card fraud, make threats in chat rooms, solicit underage sex, and hack into forbidden places, all need to conceal or change their IP.

Any techie knows this, and a guy who's responsible for the integrty of a network, will not become your accomplice to help you figure out how to change your IP. Especially since those tech support cals are often recorded.

Here's a scenario you might try

""Last night I connected from my friend's computer to my home computer using my computer's IP, to show my friend how it's done. Now I am concerned my friend could again connect to my computer using the same IP, and computer name...."
The Following User Says Thank You to sick-bay For This Useful Post:
NZT (01-06-2010)
Old 07-05-2009
Subscribed [VIP]

I may be wrong, but if you use a program like SMAC, you spoof your mac and the ISP doesnt know who you are so then after unplugging your cable for a couple of hours, you get another one.

I one time told my ISP I was using this program which I downloaded from PCWorld and was using it because they said it helped online privacy. They had no problem with it at all.
Old 07-05-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

The fastest way to switch IP is to have a second connetion installed. Unplug from one, plug into the other. Reset the first while using the second. It will be ready when you need it. Then while back on first, reset the second.

Or, for wireless users, just point your antenna (the USB device for most of you) at another signal and connect to it.

The crap about honest people not having any excuse to change IP is just so much BS. Every provider of any service wants to track you so bad, they are willing to call you a crook to your face. And so many people believe the hype.

Look at it this way, I do the things I like, simply because I like to do them. It's nobody else's business what those things are. And most of what I do actually has very little significant value. If I want to change my shoes every 5 minutes, does that mean I *must* getting prepared to flee from the authorities because an honest person doesn't need to change shoes very often? No.

There is no legitimate reason an honest person needs to wear a shirt, drink a soda, change to a new shirt, wear contact lenses, turn on the radio, or so many other things. But most of us do. And we're honest. And it's none of ebay's or your ISP's business what color shirt you wear. Walmart doesn't care what color you buy today. Or tomorrow. It's nobody's business what your IP is or how often you change it OR WHY!

Your ISP has no reason to care which IP you use today or tomorrow or in 5 minutes. Other than them being a bunch of nosy fukcers. I say screw em. I want a new IP, give me a new IP or I'll withhold my bill and steal an IP. In that event, the ISP *made* me a criminal. Where if they simply were willing to give me what I want, no harm no foul.

Next time you get a chance to ask for a new IP and they ask why you want one, ask them if they work for the CIA or the NSA? And what's it any the hell their business why you want one? When they tell you that your IP info is safe, ask them to give you their mom's IP and their girlfriend's IP. Tell them exactly what they told you. Honest people don't need to hide their IP, and since they are hiding the info you just asked for, they are obviously dishonest. The tech, the mom, and the girlfriend. Must be coconspirators to dick you in the back. Thus, you need an IP change so they don't scam you.

Waste their time, if you have it to spare. Argue just to ruin their day. People will take you personally, even if they can't pronounce your name. When they stop getting away with the BS, they will no longer try.
Old 08-10-2009

Longevity: 85%

Hey everybody. I have DSL and if I understand correctly, I un-plug my system from the wall, wait 30 sec, and re-plug giving me a new IP address and I can get on e-bay and not be traced.

When I log off, before I go back to ebay, I repeat the steps as long as I use my primary house computer. If I go outside my house to another computer, no worries since the IP will be different.

Sound like I understand the IP part of the Stealth Book?
Old 08-10-2009
Vicvelcro

It's not so much that you "can't be traced". You can still be traced (well, not some of us). You can't be traced to the same numbers you used before. But technically you can still be traced.

I can run your ip through a locator and get some info. You change that IP, I run the new IP through the locator. I get info. TRACED - sortof.

What I can't do is prove that both of those IPs are the same person. Well, not easily or lawfully.
Old 08-10-2009

I also installed Mozilla Firefox. In the Stealth Book it shows black pages and windows that I don't see in mine. My understanding is that when I sign out of Mozilla, say after going to my current e-bay site, a window should come up asking if I want to clear my private data but it dosen't.

What am I missing?
Old 08-10-2009

Longevity: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
'Fastest' way means you might make an error. No need to rush. Have a good read thro' the IP address forum. There are many posts explaining how to change IPs. Take your time so you know EXACTLY what to do. Then you do not make a mistake and have accounts running fine.
Well said !
Dial up. also is convient,
Old 08-10-2009
Vicvelcro

You have to go into Tools > Options > Privacy and set the option to clear private data on exit AND always ask. My advice is to NOT clear the normal cookies.

Old 08-10-2009

When I go to tools > options > privacy, I get a different looking icon and it asks me about my history which I tell it "Never remember history". It dosen't look or asks me if I want to clear my data.
Old 08-10-2009
Vicvelcro

What version of Firefox? 2.0.0.14?
Old 08-10-2009

Where do I find that. On my page I open for it, it only says Mozilla Firefox start page.
Old 08-10-2009

Longevity: 89%

After you open the FF, look at the menu bar on the very top, click on the last one "Help", then choose "About Mozilla Firefox", it'll pop up a small window, the version# is right under the orange Firefox word.
Old 08-10-2009
Vicvelcro

Help > About Firefox
Old 08-10-2009

version 3.5.2
Old 08-10-2009
Vicvelcro

Ok, well there ya go then. That's why my info don't work for you. I'm current to 3.0.13

Sorry, I'm always one upgrade behind because I don't like being a test monkey just to be bleeding edge. So I can't give you the exact steps for your version. It's going to be in that general vicinity: Tools > Options > Privacy

I've discovered lately that Firefox has occasionally been a bit careless in certain releases.
Old 08-10-2009

Thanks. All help is appreciated. Should I assume that since I am using FF that my info and cookies are being erased when I log out from e-bay?
Old 08-10-2009
Vicvelcro

No. Unless you chose settings that DO that or have installed and configured a plugin, your info remains.