Where else to sell list - With pros and cons. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 04-02-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 76%
Default Where else to sell list - With pros and cons.

Hello all,

I've decided to put together a bit of information with regards to where else you guys can try and make yourself some money if you have been suspended from the likes of Ebay and Amazon. I have been selling online for years, but recently because of the trouble i have had with eBay and Amazon i have been looking at other places to sell, including taking part in local carboots and market stalls. I deal mainly in refurbished items and to be honest i thought, like many of you Ebay is the bee all and end all.. In actual fact it ISN'T. I'm not going to lie to any of you, i have been quite unsuccessful when it comes to stealth accounts but i will keep on trying until i get it absolutely perfect and one day i will be back on Ebay making a profitable income. For the time being i am holding back slightly until i have put together a plan of action.. Anyhow, lets crack on!

Your own Ecommerce website

First and foremost, most of you who are using this forum have a lot of stock to sell and regular suppliers. For those of you who sell as a business or a sole trader the perfect solution for you is an Ecommerce website. Even if you don't yet have the stock yet and you are contemplating setting up a small business, personally i would advise that you get yourself a small website set up.. Why? Because YOU are in full control. On your own website you make the rules. You can list your items that you have for sale, you can decide how to accept payments and you can advertise nearly everywhere. You can evolve a website as you gain the experience and as you make more sales. A lot of buyers love to have a good look at a clear proffessional website that stands out and illustrates exactly what you are offering them. You can also advertise services on your website.. For example i can offer a repairing service on mine, customers are under no illusion as to what i can do for them and what they will get for thir hard earned cash.

Websites are not expensive if you know the right people to use. Dont be conned into thinking you have to spend hundreds on an all singing all dancing website when you first start out. If anytone needs any pointers feel free to message me and i can forward you on to some good, legit website designers.

The only downside with websites that i can see most people having who have smaller businesses and not a lot of budget is the fact that you have to drive a decent amount of traffic visit your website. When SEO is involved it can get rather expensive - But again, do not be put off because there are many people who can offer SEO packages at cheap and reliable prices.

Ebid

People say this is the Ebay equivalent. You may have heard of it you may not. Ebid is only a year younger than ebay so is not likely to vanish like a lot of the other sites that looked great but just could not cut it. It is possibly the closest to ebay in the way it works but not the ebay of today, it relates to the ebay that used to work, and I liked the ebay of old as much as I dislike the ebay of today. It is easy enough to bulk upload your stuff, through the Ninjalister tool they have. You can also select the payment methods that you wish to accept including the dreaded Paypal. You do however have to verify yourself with a credit or a debit card. One of the facilities i think that is good about Ebid is that if you need any help you can ask in the user forum or ask support and the forum is friendly rather than ebays battle ground forum!

A few of the cons that come with Ebid is that it does have product gaps, but that may be seen as a pro as well as a con, it may give a few of you business minded people on this forum an oppertunity to sell your items on that you cant sell elsewhere. Another downside is that a lot of people have one track minds when it comes to online selling and auctions, Ebay Ebay Ebay.. People don't like change! So although Ebid gets roughly 600,000 visitors a day, not all of that traffic is buying.

Bouf

Unique homeware, fashion and gifts at the curated marketplace | Bouf is quite unknown as a selling platform, its mainly used for high priced items. Its got a nice layout to the site but because its for high priced items they take a whopping commission of upto 30% in fees. You can set yourself up with an annual fee which drops the amount of commision. It may be useful to a few of you.

Etsy

US users in this forum may have heard of Etsy. Its a good selling platform but most of the users on there are US based. UK sellers can use this to your advantage though.

Ethical Community

This site is mainly for sellers out there who have very niche products, i dont mean unbranded goods! Its mainly used for selling ethical products. Again, as i have stated this is a very niche site.

Facebook

Facebook marketing or marketplace. Lets face it, practically all of you out there have Facebook, make yourself a business page and start promoting! There are no fees YET associated with Facebook marketplace but based on experience you can definately make a pound or two from them! Use your initive and you will see a spike in your sales.

Gumtree

I have personally used Gumtree for a few face to face sales, went smoothly. Give it a try if you have physical stock. Possible cons to this is that Ebay run it.

Local Papers

Do your research and you will see that most local papers will offer you FREE advertising.

I will try and update this regularly as i myself stumble into more auction sites that may be of some benifit to you. I know a lot of the above may not be very handy for those of you that are US based but my motto is TRY IT and see! If it doesnt work for you try something else, or keep trying until it does.

I hope this helps.

Em_x
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Em_x For This Useful Post:
Alps_a somewhatlegend (04-03-2011), madmuppet303 (06-28-2011), NTP (08-05-2011), oompaloompa (04-02-2011), unkown5454 (04-10-2011)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-02-2011

Longevity: 75%

Nice post.
I also suggest checking out Bonanza.com. Their site has a very nice layout, and the people on there are friendly. Free to list and final value fees are super low. They have only been around a few years and they already have about half a million members, and growing every day.
The only way that any site will ever be able to compete with ebay is if people like us get the word out there that there are other options available. Tell your friends, family, people that you run into, ect... Word of mouth is an extremely powerful weapon!
Old 04-02-2011

Longevity: 78%

etsy is only for things you have made yourself by hand.

facebook is a very underused marketplace that until, unfortunately, they mass promote/market it will never get the popularity it deserves.

bonanza is worse than amazon and ebay put together. just look for a thread on it.

The reason no one can compete with amazon and ebay is because when amazon and ebay came out at the beginning of people being able to buy stuff online, they put hundreds of millions into promotions through TV. For years and years they had commercials year round on almost every channel. They made themselves household names, and until someone else does the same thing, they won't even be able to start to compete with them. These are unfortunate facts of life. Google and Facebook are the only 2 companies that have the means to make a formidable opponent to these massive businesses. I forget where it was estimated, but in 2016, Amazon is suppose to do 15 billion dollars in gross sales. Thats ****ing ridiculous.
Old 04-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I absolutely agree with the OP that it is wise to find other ways of selling merchandise other than eBay and Amazon. eBay and Amazon are fine for the casual seller working part-time, but those of us who depend on sales for our livelihood know all to well how easy it is to lose an account.

Spend a week in the hospital. When you come home, you may find your account gone. Even if it is still open, the low DSR's that you will receive might still kill it.

Having your own website is the best way to go, IMHO. At first it can be discouraging. You put in a lot of time and effort and then see very little in terms of traffic and sales. But it is a building process that works over time. If your mentality is that you must have 2,000 sales in the first month, you will surely be disappointed and give up.

SEO placement is BRUTALLY competitive and the big players can afford to have whole teams of people working on their campaigns. And often, a beginner has no idea where to start, let alone the money to compete. Ditto for pay-per-click advertising.

But we have ONE BIG ASSET that very few of us take advantage of. We have eBay and Amazon sales. That means CUSTOMER INFORMATION. My website is not linked to ANY of my stealth accounts in any way. Every time I make a sale, I wait for about 2-3 weeks and then send a postcard (large format, professionally printed) with a coupon good for $5 off on a first purchase. I also offer a free gift to each new customer. 3 months later, I follow it up with another one, if the person has not created an account. Maybe 5% of my customers sign up. But since there are no eBay/PayPal fees to pay, it is profitable for me. And the repeat business and word-of-mouth business is something that money cannot buy.

For this to work, you must EXCEL at customer service and FAST shipping. That means a daily trip to the post office, maybe two. These are the two key ingredients that bring people back and also bring in new business. I have been doing this for two years and I have about $5k in monthly sales from my website. If, however, you get easily discouraged and give up after the first couple of months, this will not work for you.

Amazon did not magically appear one day with $15,000,000,000 in sales. For years, they burned through investor money, using affiliates to acquire customers. In the early days, investors preferred eBay as the return was more immediate. Amazon investors were wondering WHEN, OH WHEN is Amazon going to show a profit? But now, they beat eBay. However, this was MANY YEARS in the making. Success happens over time. I remember Ellen DeGeneres once said that it only took her ten years to become an "overnight sensation". Translation? There is no free lunch.

Success takes time and effort. It also takes a long-term approach. If you start today, you probably won't be minting money tomorrow. I look at every eBay, Amazon, Ioffer, Half, or whatever sale as an opportunity to turn their customer into MY customer. Offer them a great deal and ship fast. Offer them a discount when they refer someone. Always be professional and polite. Give refunds when necessary. Nobody likes refunds, but they are a part of doing business.

Seek out other venues and new methods of reaching people. But don't think that you need the latest and greatest fad to be successful. You can do just fine WITHOUT Facebook, the mobile web, or whatever. But if you are lacking in customer service, or if you are lazy and just want to go to the post office once a week, you can forget about ever being successful.

Don't fall for sales pitches that promise to get you to the top of Google in 7 days for a few hundred dollars. They might actually work for a few days, but you can get blocked by Google for breaking their rules. Slow and steady wins the race. There is no quick and easy road to riches. Following those paths will only lead to disappointment and frustration. Nobody is going to share a TRUE formula for success with you for $19.95 or even $1,999.95. You have to make your own path.

Or you could just send me $29.95 for my instant web millionaire program.

Last edited by jeffweico; 04-02-2011 at 08:22 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
Alps_a somewhatlegend (04-03-2011), NTP (08-05-2011), surcerouche (04-06-2011), yellow0102 (06-23-2011)
Old 04-02-2011

Longevity: 80%
Send a message via Skype™ to ebayerOG

[/QUOTE]

lol i bet someone will pm you

other then that theres some top info there thanks for that buddy
Old 04-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayerukg View Post

lol i bet someone will pm you

other then that theres some top info there thanks for that buddy
Yikes.... That was a JOKE!

To clarify, PLEASE don't PM me for the instant millionaire thing. It does not exist.

Last edited by jeffweico; 04-02-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2011

Longevity: 80%
Send a message via Skype™ to ebayerOG

hahaha you no what people are like
Old 04-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post

Does that include shipping?
Old 04-09-2011

Longevity: 89%

What is a good webstore building company for my own website??

Dont want to spend 1000.00 - I have had 2 store sites built for me for 300.00 each - fully admin for me to update also.

I have found the key is to get a store that can RANK in SE - many use that PHP store code **** that does not get any ranking traction.
Old 04-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerec12 View Post
What is a good webstore building company for my own website??

Dont want to spend 1000.00 - I have had 2 store sites built for me for 300.00 each - fully admin for me to update also.

I have found the key is to get a store that can RANK in SE - many use that PHP store code **** that does not get any ranking traction.
What you want is a provider that can create static pages for the search engines. I am using Chrislands. It is built specifically for books, but it could be easily modified for other things as well.

The one downside with them is the $200 setup fee. But for that they include the deisgn of the store. The monthly charge is $25 - $35.

I sell books, so it was a natural. But their sites get ranking in the search engines, and I think the reason (or at least a part of the reason) is that they create those static pages.

Another soultion I like is Volusion, but they are the PHP type of site and charge $100 per month. Also, their servers can sometimes run slow at peak times, which is annoying. But they do have a lot of neat features that I like. Overall, a decent solution, although I really wish they would solve their server issues.

There are tons of providers out there, many with loyal followings. You just have to choose what is best for you.
Old 04-10-2011

I'm looking for ways to get help mitigate the ebay limits. Has anyone come across or written an algorithm that will automate the following:
- list on the alternative sites with a reserve pricing.
- if the reserve is not met, the program automatically list the item on ebay
Old 04-10-2011

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 76%

try vendio