Google Checkout Worse than Paypal ? Maybe for some, not others - Page 3 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions > Payment Gateways

Payment Gateways Payment Gateway Discussions - Stripe Accounts, PayPal Accounts, Authorize.Net, Coinbase and More.

Old 07-04-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%

But does that protection begin on day one, or do you have to have the account opened for a while for them to support you?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-04-2007
Banned

Longevity: 97%

Day one Jack. Remember setting up a google checkout account is almost like the same information requested when setting up a regular merchant account. Nothing stupid like paypal
Old 07-04-2007

That's great news George! Now I'm just hoping that most of that hooha that I've read about Google being worse than Paypal is just that. I know the tendency for something new is to not be given a chance to grow before being criticized and judgement being placed, and I understand Google is still relatively new at this payment system, so they're going to have growing pains. But as long as they don't freeze up my funds, give the money back, or some other nonsense without giving me a chance to explain things, I'm good to go.

And actually I do already have an account with them for another business--just haven't used it all that much--but I'm not about to send that email account address to this questionable buyer, as I would hate to think what havoc they could cause with it! There is no way to add another email address to an existing Google Checkout account is there? That would be nice, but I'm setting up a new account now. The only problem is having to wait for the bank account payment to verify before I can receive money. Is there a trick there to be able to verify this faster, or do I really have to wait about 5 days (maybe longer because of the holiday and the weekend) for that money to appear in my account before I can do anything?

By the by, this is an example of what I'm putting in my returns/refunds area:

Due to the unique nature of our items, all items are sold as is. There are no refunds or returns. Exchanges only on request for equal or lesser value, subject to availability and seller's option.

Should this cover me in the event someone DOES try to charge back?

Oh, and does Google require a correct phone number in order for your account to run smoothly? I rarely give out my real number over the net.
Old 07-04-2007
Banned

Get a voicemail through privatephone.com and use that.
Just in case google wants to chat.

That looks good for the returns/refund section.
Old 07-04-2007
Subscribed [VIP]

Yes just use a privatephone voicemail box and make sure to let them know they have to leave a message and their phone number so you can get back to them.

Google will require your SSN or business tax id number at first . They will not limit your account if you follow the rules. It takes me about 2-3 business days to receive funds in my checking account
Old 07-04-2007

Hmm, it seems that the phone number is even optional...would you provide one using the privatephone just to be safe, or is an email enough? I am assuming that no number is better than a ⊗⊗⊗⊗.

It's been a while since I opened my last GC account. How long does it usually take for the tiny deposits to make your account so it can be verified? I'm holding off sending a new invoice to a customer until it does. Although, maybe they can go ahead and send the payment and it will be in a type of hold status until the account is verified (like paypal when the email address is not added to an account)? If anyone knows, please share.
Old 07-05-2007
Banned

privatephone isn't a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ and I think its better than having no number. Voicemail is used plenty by legitimate businesses.

Took only 2 days for the verify deposits for me.
Old 07-05-2007

Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that they were. I was talking about making one up vs giving none at all. I've used voicemail myself and have no qualms with it. I would almost be willing to give our regular voicemail # if it wasn't for the fear of being hounded with phonecalls once they had it.

Is there a status bar or anything to tell when or if your payment request has been accepted by Google? Or do you just have to wait a reasonable amount of time for the payment to show up and hope that it does? Note: I'm referring to payments from buyers, not the small intro deposits from Google to verify an account.
Old 07-05-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that they were. I was talking about making one up vs giving none at all. I've used voicemail myself and have no qualms with it. I would almost be willing to give our regular voicemail # if it wasn't for the fear of being hounded with phonecalls once they had it.

Is there a status bar or anything to tell when or if your payment request has been accepted by Google? Or do you just have to wait a reasonable amount of time for the payment to show up and hope that it does? Note: I'm referring to payments from buyers, not the small intro deposits from Google to verify an account.
The transaction with a buyer shows up immediately in your google checkout account.
Old 07-05-2007

Ah. Just found that area. Thanks

Now all I have to figure out is whether to wait for the deposits to send the invoice, or go ahead and and send it hoping that the deposits will happen in the meantime. Wish I knew if the deposit goes into escrow until the account is verified or just bounces back.
Old 08-12-2007

How do you have your privatephone numbers set up? Is it a good idea to record a personal greeting for Google's benefit, and do you use a personal name or company name for it, or do you just leave it as is with no personal greeting? Is there much of a point to do anything special with it? Do you want to make it look like your main personal business contact number, or just another number where they can leave a message?

As for your GoogleCheckout settings, do you register under company name or name on the checking account, or does it even matter?
Old 08-13-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
How do you have your privatephone numbers set up? Is it a good idea to record a personal greeting for Google's benefit, and do you use a personal name or company name for it, or do you just leave it as is with no personal greeting? Is there much of a point to do anything special with it? Do you want to make it look like your main personal business contact number, or just another number where they can leave a message?

As for your GoogleCheckout settings, do you register under company name or name on the checking account, or does it even matter?
Well my google checkout phone number is my actual business contact.
I only lie on eBay, google checkout has all my legit information and I run it how I run my business.

The information google asked to be personal I made personal (checking account info etc.). Then when I set up all my policies I put in the business name as the business name.
Old 08-17-2007

Good question. Did someone charge you back? I remember reading that if you have a "no returns" clause in your TOS they defend it. Don't know for sure though.
Old 08-19-2007

That's odd. The last time it happened to me they (paypal) left it negative for a short time and then closed the account. Mind you that was a while back. Maybe they're giving more time now.
Old 08-31-2007

Modee, how'd this work out for you? Did Google try to overdraft?

P.S. If you remove a paypal email before anything bad happens, can you reuse it later or is it toast? Which do you think would be best--remove a paypal address email before you transfer money or after it's completed? There's already others on the account, I'm just wondering which would give off less sirens.
Old 08-31-2007

Longevity: 96%

I am still trying to figure out if I can remove the "dirty" emails from my pristine verified/premier account and put in un-tainted ones and use that account? I really only plan on running one EB acount at a time, but with plenty of them warming up in the bullpen, in case I get "rocked"
Old 08-31-2007

Removing them is easy. Not sure if it makes any difference though. Kinda depends on how much memory Paypal uses--whether they store that information on their database forever or if it's overwritten any time you change something on your account. I'm leaning toward the latter but still looking for confirmation.
Old 08-31-2007

anyone ever find out if google pushes the bank account into the red?
Old 08-31-2007

BTW i have been using google for ebay transactions and I sold some stuff outside of ebay aswell and used them. I have had no problems and the depositis are fast into my bank. Im thinking of opening other google accts but sinse we have to put in our ss or tax id wont they connect accts if you are banned on one? just a thought.....
Old 08-31-2007

I thought that I had heard that Google checkout was not allowed on EB
Old 08-31-2007

I don't see that information in my profile but all I see is Base. How do you check your profile for Google Checkout signup? I don't even remember providing a SSN#!
Old 08-31-2007

if you tick the other merchant acct option on EB thats the work around also you cant use any google buttons or advertise thats what your merchant acct is so just send thegoogle invoice later. it really is just your merchant acct. they cant dictate what merchant acct provider you use.