PayPal - [More than $200 in their account? Close it, quick!] - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk > Paypal Limited

Paypal Limited PayPal Limited Account – A general forum on PayPal limitations and how to either lift them or create new accounts.

Old 05-02-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 75%
Default PayPal - [More than $200 in their account? Close it, quick!]

Bought a new eBay + PayPa| account a week ago and verified everything. Used a different computer, IP, erased cookies, verified the address flawlessly.. the whole 9 yards. I was COMPLETELY anonymous but had a rock-solid grasp on my new identity.

Fast forward to this past week - I had sold $250 in scrap silver and received the payment in my new PayPa|. Less than 24hrs later, PayPa| sends me an email stating that the account is now closed and that I can get my money in 180 days.

Well that was fast.

Called them up and (politely) demanded an answer. I spoke to an Account Limitations Supervisor named John:

Me: "My account was closed but I'm not sure what I did wrong to provoke this action..?"

Them: "We suspect that your account is involved in suspicious activities."

Me: "You guys have full access to the item that I sold. I even have the Signature Confirmation and tracking # slip for proof. I shipped the item out 2 days ago, less than 24hrs after the person had paid. What is suspicious about that?"

Them: "I'm sorry, but we can't disclose any information about why we close any accounts. That is proprietary information and is made as a business decision."

Me: "Well I can see why you would keep that a secret from the public; The second you told someone that their money was being held to increase the net worth of the company and to collect the interest from the 6 months it was being held could spark quite a fire in a courtroom - and all because you had a 'hunch' regarding the legitimacy of your verified customer."

Them: "...Let me see what I can do to get your funds released."

Me: ""

Them: "Ok, I will follow up with the buyer and once he has received the item, I will clear your account to allow access for you to withdraw your funds into your bank account. Unfortunately, we will need to close the account completely and permanently after you have received your funds."

PAYPAL NEEDS TO BE SUED AND FORCED TO REWRITE DIFFERENT (read: COMPLIANT) TERMS OF SERVICE FOR THIS SH*T TO STOP!

Last edited by TGMT²; 05-02-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: USE proper terms, this forum is for Grown-Ups
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-02-2011

Could they have linked you in any way? IP? Computer? That is just incredible
Old 05-02-2011

Send a message via MSN to ShadyOne

Happens all too often!

This is how they operate and as much as we hate it, we have to accept it.

Just move on, change your approach next time, even if this was simply being unlucky. Look further into your account set up and see if anything could have triggered it.
Old 05-02-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannytranny View Post
Could they have linked you in any way? IP? Computer? That is just incredible
I thought about that, but decided that it could not have been linked in any way because my last PP account was closed for that very reason. They made it abundantly clear in the emails and phone conversations that my previous account was closed because they linked it to one of my other accounts.

This one.. I just.. I have no idea. They closed it "just because".

They either:
A) have a secret weapon
or
B) close any account that brings in over $200 in less than a week
Old 05-02-2011

^^^ No I took this as not being linked but just being how PP operate. They screen account activity for potential risk, obviously you raised some serious flags and they decided to close you.
Old 05-02-2011

I know this sounds silly but could they have tried phoning you?
Did phone area code match up with IP and everything else?
On original creation how far away from you was IP?

Let's face it they read this forum, if they are looking for new 'bought' accounts could they be looking for IP changes in new accounts?

I know it's obscure but you obviously understand ste alth and I cannot see any reason for this apart from IP change, possible MAC change? (Over to you on that ShadyOne)
Old 05-02-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannytranny View Post
I know this sounds silly but could they have tried phoning you?
Did phone area code match up with IP and everything else?
On original creation how far away from you was IP?

Let's face it they read this forum, if they are looking for new 'bought' accounts could they be looking for IP changes in new accounts?

I know it's obscure but you obviously understand ste alth and I cannot see any reason for this apart from IP change, possible MAC change? (Over to you on that ShadyOne)
I used G00gle Voice for any of the phone calls. The account info was based in CA so I adjusted the phone number and IP accordingly. The MAC address was completely different, as I was using a different computer on an entirely new network. I'm just at a loss for an explanation.
Old 05-02-2011

Phew - that's worrying!!!
Old 05-02-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
^^^ No I took this as not being linked but just being how PP operate. They screen account activity for potential risk, obviously you raised some serious flags and they decided to close you.
This makes me wonder what they would do with a 110% legitimate account.

I keep thinking to myself, "To the women who sell their $1,500 purses and the college kids who sell their buddy's Wii and XBOX 360's on eBay: how the hell do you guys manage to keep your accounts open?! What makes you guys so different than those of us who put out a flawless identity?"
Old 05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarediscounts View Post
I used G00gle Voice for any of the phone calls. The account info was based in CA so I adjusted the phone number and IP accordingly. The MAC address was completely different, as I was using a different computer on an entirely new network. I'm just at a loss for an explanation.
Possibly they didn't like Mac, phone and IP being changed on a new A'c?? (Just clutching at straws here)
Old 05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarediscounts View Post
This makes me wonder what they would do with a 110% legitimate account.

I keep thinking to myself, "To the women who sell their $1,500 purses and the college kids who sell their buddy's Wii and XBOX 360's on eBay: how the hell do you guys manage to keep your accounts open?! What makes you guys so different than those of us who put out a flawless identity?"
These accounts wouldn't change anything between creation and use would they? You can see where I'm going I trust?
Old 05-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 76%

ebay cant track mac address so cant be that.

There must be something thats raised the flags.

How long was this transaction completed after the creation of the ebay and paypal accounts? ive never dealt in this type of product but i believe the combination of a new account, this type of product, and a bit of bad luck could possibly be to blame.
Old 05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakemoney View Post
ebay cant track mac address so cant be that.

There must be something thats raised the flags.

How long was this transaction completed after the creation of the ebay and paypal accounts? ive never dealt in this type of product but i believe the combination of a new account, this type of product, and a bit of bad luck could possibly be to blame.
This thread disturbs me more than most. The OP knows what he is talking about and his comment about 110% legitimate is very relevant.

The only things I can see is IP being changed after set up (wouldn't happen with a 110% legit set up) telephone number being changed (Once again wouldn't happen with a 110% legit set up) and possibly your comments about product and amount of money. But the OPs point about $1500 purse and Xbox is fair and relevant

I don't believe in coincidence and there has to be a reason - this is not just random and 'one of those things' - IMHO
Old 05-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,935 Times in 8,226 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

I doubt pa yp al will open up your account for withdrawal - just another rebuttal tactic but all the best.
Old 05-02-2011

ShadyOne - you're a slippery customer - take a look at this and give your opinion - you know why it's worrying me!!!
Old 05-02-2011

^^ I know two things. This is normal PP and another normal thread, because we only know about the info softwarediscounts (but he sells scrap silver :D) gives us. So it is all pure speculation if we don't see a key piece of info that could have triggered the account closure.
Old 05-02-2011

OK OP - over to you ....................
Old 05-02-2011
Threadstarter  

The absolute only thing I can think of is the fact that I changed the email on the PayPa| account. I swapped over the same name from AOL to GMail. I did this because I had issues logging into the AOL account that I had purchased.

Other than that, nothing else changed.

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to receive the funds once they are able to be withdrawn. The bank account on the account is obviously not going to work. Can I not open up a new bank account under my real name and add it to the PayPa| account to be withdrawn from?
Old 05-02-2011

^^ If PP do decide to allow you your funds, then you should be able to add a bank account with your real details and successfully withdraw. I would search the forums to see what banks in the US accept withdrawals in different names.

By the way, their may be other ways to withdraw in the US, you should check that as well.

Last edited by ShadyOne; 05-02-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2011

Anyone? - You're all cleverer than me?
Old 05-03-2011

Activity: 21%
Longevity: 85%

Is it possibly a case of too much money too soon?

Otherwise you may have acted like an experienced user when you were meant to be new to Paypal.
Old 05-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mine View Post
Is it possibly a case of too much money too soon?

Otherwise you may have acted like an experienced user when you were meant to be new to Paypal.
I can see where you are coming from but I believe that a major flag was raised on PP. Once they had received the money, the account may have been flagged and screened, they found something hig risk with the account and closed it. Unless it was another unlucky case.