How Can I prevent a Dispute, Hold, or Chargeback? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 04-27-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 34%
Exclamation How Can I prevent a Dispute, Hold, or Chargeback?

I have a potential dispute or charge back coming very soon to my Paypal, and or eBay account. I ship within the USA only, and the buyer used a courier service to reship the items overseas. I don't see how I would be responsible for what the courier has done, when they reship the items I sent to them.

I haven't had to deal with one of these in years. Anyways Paypal and or eBay will place a hold right away on the funds. and I can't have that, as the money is gone, I needed it more than Paypal. So guess i'll remove my bank accounts from Paypal, then maybe close my bank accounts, and open new ones. Unless there is some other way to prevent or delay a funds hold.

Also Is the some other website to discuss this with knowledgeable people
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-28-2018

Longevity: 72%
Default Re: How Can I prevent a Dispute, Hold, or Chargeback?

There is no way to prevent a hold or charge back in the case of a complaint.

I think most of us are 'knowledgeable people', but I suppose you could seek out another website where the answers will be more palatable, but in that case they probably wouldn't be correct.

I could talk about the money EB & PP advanced you, and who it belongs to and when and why it becomes yours; and the legal reasons for why they can charge you back; or the various poorly understood principals involved in eCommerce shipping and mail order fulfillment; or the principal of 'agency' in shipping and who has responsibility for damage and/or loss and why it works the way it does; or why PP and EB are able to damage your credit for a charge back that isn't reimbursed and why they will and are allowed to do so.

Or whatever else you want to talk about.
Old 04-28-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

if the money is gone, that is better than a hold.
you might win, if the item got to destination in USA and that is destination address on paypal
Old 04-28-2018
MU

Longevity: 82%

If the tracking shows delivered to the address they provided within the US, you're fine. I have dealt with the forwarding service disputes before, just entered proof it went to the location they provided to start.

If you can, should it not be that big of a deal, call them to close the case after you show it was delivered.
Old 04-28-2018

Longevity: 72%

He wouldn't have a dispute if it something hadn't happened to it, I'm guessing damage, because as you said it must show 'delivered' and in that instance he's covered and he wouldn't be worried, there'd be no case at all.

He's talking about not being personally responsible for the courier's misdeeds, whatever they were. There's really no details to speak of.
Old 05-04-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
if the money is gone, that is better than a hold.
you might win, if the item got to destination in USA and that is destination address on paypal
Yes it's the destination of the courier service in Miami. Then they re-ship the items to South America. It has been 30 days since the items arrived to the courier. The buyer said he did not receive them yet. He said he's been emailing the courier, and they haven't replied to him yet.

He asked me if i could call the courier service and inquirer as to what happened to the shipment.

I assume the courier has given him their own tracking number when they reship international.
Old 05-04-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
If the tracking shows delivered to the address they provided within the US, you're fine. I have dealt with the forwarding service disputes before, just entered proof it went to the location they provided to start.

If you can, should it not be that big of a deal, call them to close the case after you show it was delivered.
Tracking showed it arrived in Miami about a month ago. The buyer hasn't opened a case yet.

They buyer also said, he has some sort of buying restriction on his Paypal account now. His eBay account is only a few months old, So I assume more than one eBay account though.

How long has the hold been and how long was the case open for you on this type of forwarding service dispute?

I cleared out my two banks accounts. Maybe I'll just close them and open some new ones.

Last edited by Kane93; 05-04-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post
He wouldn't have a dispute if it something hadn't happened to it, I'm guessing damage, because as you said it must show 'delivered' and in that instance he's covered and he wouldn't be worried, there'd be no case at all.

He's talking about not being personally responsible for the courier's misdeeds, whatever they were. There's really no details to speak of.
The buyer hasn't opened a case yet. It's been about a month since the package arrived at the courier service. The buyer is saying he didn't get the package yet from the courier, and he has asked me to call them, because they did not reply to his email.
Old 05-04-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post

I don't ship international, and I see no reason why I should be responsible, for missing or damaged items, that are reshipped international through a courier service. Since the tracking shows delivered about a month ago, I have no idea what happened after the package is reshipped, or where it is shipped to after that. The courier service should be responsible if something did happen.
Old 10-25-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce.dietrich View Post
Hello there
No matter how carefully you run your business, at one point or another, chargebacks will find you. We are sorry to say this, but they will inevitably come your way because customers are people: you can never be sure that your product will be 100% satisfactory to them (no matter how many trials and tests you run on it).

Besides, some businesses considered high-risk due to an increased number of chargebacks continuously find themselves under close inspection of card companies and banks that strive to pull unreliable merchants off the market.

Not only it is a bane of the merchant’s existence, but it also takes up ages to resolve chargeback issues. And the worst part for you as a merchant is that the issuing banks are typically more inclined to take the customer’s side rather than a merchant’s.

Thus, while the client immediately gets a benefit of a doubt, merchants invest labor and time to prove that the chargeback is invalid or lacks solid reasons behind it.
Thanks to the advances in technology, new software to fight chargebacks emerges. There are various types of software to prevent chargebacks, but in my opinion, you'd rather choose a trustworthy payment gateway. These companies can minimize the number of chargebacks by verification every customer
This is spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-25-2018

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
This is spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself.
A very well written response. Just unfortunate it was copied and pasted from this article here https://ikajo.com/blog/chargeback-pr...gebacks-part-1

How to fight chargebacks. Part 1

They didn't even cite their source. I guess its because that poster has been trying to push their potentially illegitimate service on the forum.
Old 10-27-2018

Longevity: 31%

upload tracking number to paypals system to get basic seller protection. hope you used a common carrier..
Old 10-27-2018

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattat22 View Post
upload tracking number to paypals system to get basic seller protection. hope you used a common carrier..
That wont prevent disputes, holds or chargebacks. But of course it will give you a better chance of winning any cases related to item not received.

You're still subject to disputes, holds etc. if item is not as described. Tracking wont give you any protection there.
Old 10-28-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

Best way to avoid disputes, holds or chargebacks is:

1. ALWAYS UPLOAD TRACKING NUMBER
2. Don't screw over customers.
3. Don't sell foo-foo's or ⊗⊗⊗⊗ $@it.
4. If you sell an expensive item to someone with little to no history, then you need to vet them; call them on the phone, check their accounts, check the address, use search, etc.
5. Be extra careful with international sales, or only offer domestic shipping.
6. Go over and above with your customer serice by informating your clients when their packages will be mailed, and when they can expect delivery. Also ask them to leave you feedback if they are happy with the items.

Despite following these guidlines, you can never prevent a dispute from being opened, but you can mitigate them to some extent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
ebaystealth1974 (10-28-2018), Play (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018

Longevity: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane93 View Post
I have a potential dispute or charge back coming very soon to my Paypal, and or eBay account. I ship within the USA only, and the buyer used a courier service to reship the items overseas. I don't see how I would be responsible for what the courier has done, when they reship the items I sent to them.

I haven't had to deal with one of these in years. Anyways Paypal and or eBay will place a hold right away on the funds. and I can't have that, as the money is gone, I needed it more than Paypal. So guess i'll remove my bank accounts from Paypal, then maybe close my bank accounts, and open new ones. Unless there is some other way to prevent or delay a funds hold.

Also Is the some other website to discuss this with knowledgeable people

Hello there

To be on the safe side, merchants should use the assistance of a reliable Payment Service Provider. It is recommended to opt for one with an advanced fraud and chargeback prevention system or hire a team of in-house professionals to deal with the risks of fraud and chargebacks inside the company. It is a massive chunk of work one just cannot afford not paying enough attention to.