Shipping Label For Returns - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers > Shipping Talk

Shipping Talk General discussions on shipping, customs, tracking, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, EMS, etc.

Old 03-19-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 42%
Default Shipping Label For Returns

I am preparing to work with a US supplier that handles the shipping part of the products.
However, for returns he advised me the best method would be to include a return label that he can put along with the shipping package.
Now the issue is this: he says I have to provide him with the labels and he just prints and puts inside. ( Don't ask me why he's not doing this as it's strange since he's shipping but not doing this one extra step )
Anyways from what I know you have to pay for the return shipping label in advance even if it's used or not. Am I correct?
Is there a solution to:
a) buy the return shipping labels so he can include in the package but if they're not used in 14 days for example I can get a refund on it?
b) get the shipping labels for free and be charged only when they get used & scanned in the system?

Thanks for your input on this matter. If I would pay for every return even when it's not used I'm going to make 0 profit on this deal.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-19-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Shipping Label For Returns

Your best bet would be printing your return labels with UPS or Fedex, and have you account set to "bill the shipper" (you). Then they would only bill your account if they actually handle the shipment.

With USPS there's no way that I'm aware of, because you have to pay postage on the return label when you print it.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
florea_cioaca (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Your best bet would be printing your return labels with UPS or Fedex, and have you account set to "bill the shipper" (you). Then they would only bill your account if they actually handle the shipment.

With USPS there's no way that I'm aware of, because you have to pay postage on the return label when you print it.
phaz0rz thanks for the input. So if I do that I can print the return labels for free and then I get charged only when the customer decides to actually use it and return the item?
I am just double checking to make sure I got it right.
Old 03-19-2017
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

I don't ship much with UPS or Fedex, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works. When I print a label from my UPS account I can either pay with my card or have the charge billed to my account so I can pay later.

Quote:
UPS Returns Print Return Label and Electronic Return Label fees are billed after the package enters the UPS system.
I just found that on their website. It looks like they charge a small ($.50) fee to include return labels with outbound shipments, and they only bill you for the shipping if they handle the shipment. From the limited research I've done though it looks like their return label service can only be used for shipments which were originally shipped with them.

Have you considered signing up for a stamps.com account? It's a subscription service but it may be worth it for you if you'll be processing lots of returns. From their software I'm able to create a return shipping label for any customer and have it delivered directly to the customer's email. So if you used stamps.com and any of your customers needed to return an item, you could email them a prepaid USPS return shipping label with your dropshippers address as the return address. By far the easiest way (really the only way) I know of for international sellers to create USPS shipping labels.

Since it appears UPS charges a fee just to create a return label, USPS/stamps.com may be a better option for you to consider.
Old 03-19-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I don't ship much with UPS or Fedex, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works. When I print a label from my UPS account I can either pay with my card or have the charge billed to my account so I can pay later.

I just found that on their website. It looks like they charge a small ($.50) fee to include return labels with outbound shipments, and they only bill you for the shipping if they handle the shipment. From the limited research I've done though it looks like their return label service can only be used for shipments which were originally shipped with them.

Have you considered signing up for a stamps.com account? It's a subscription service but it may be worth it for you if you'll be processing lots of returns. From their software I'm able to create a return shipping label for any customer and have it delivered directly to the customer's email. So if you used stamps.com and any of your customers needed to return an item, you could email them a prepaid USPS return shipping label with your dropshippers address as the return address. By far the easiest way (really the only way) I know of for international sellers to create USPS shipping labels.

Since it appears UPS charges a fee just to create a return label, USPS/stamps.com may be a better option for you to consider.
Thank you for the input again. I've looked over their site as well but I couldn't find this:
If my supplier sends via usps the order can I still use the ups only for the return label. And the only charge is the 0.50 if the label is not used, no? If that is true I think I'll use this in the start and then switch to a stamps account.
Old 03-19-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by florea_cioaca View Post
Thank you for the input again. I've looked over their site as well but I couldn't find this:
If my supplier sends via usps the order can I still use the ups only for the return label. And the only charge is the 0.50 if the label is not used, no? If that is true I think I'll use this in the start and then switch to a stamps account.

Yes the fee is $.50 per return label, then you are only billed for the return shipping costs if the shipment is actually processed by UPS. However my understanding from the limited research I've done on UPS.com is that you are only eligible to use this service if your dropshipper sends the original shipment with UPS. From what I can tell the return shipping label is generated at the same time as the original shipping label, so the shipper can include it with outbound shipments. I'm assuming your guy will be shipping with USPS so using UPS's return service may not be an option.

A stamps.com account may be your only option for creating return shipping labels for these orders. Endicia is another (free I believe) provider of USPS shipping labels, but I've never used them so I'm not sure if you can email return shipping labels like you can with stamps.com. Stamps.com is only $15.99 (usd) per month if you were wondering. Easily a justifiable business expense if you'll be processing multiple returns monthly.
Old 03-19-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Yes the fee is $.50 per return label, then you are only billed for the return shipping costs if the shipment is actually processed by UPS. However my understanding from the limited research I've done on UPS.com is that you are only eligible to use this service if your dropshipper sends the original shipment with UPS. From what I can tell the return shipping label is generated at the same time as the original shipping label, so the shipper can include it with outbound shipments. I'm assuming your guy will be shipping with USPS so using UPS's return service may not be an option.

A stamps.com account may be your only option for creating return shipping labels for these orders. Endicia is another (free I believe) provider of USPS shipping labels, but I've never used them so I'm not sure if you can email return shipping labels like you can with stamps.com. Stamps.com is only $15.99 (usd) per month if you were wondering. Easily a justifiable business expense if you'll be processing multiple returns monthly.

Thanks, I'll wait for the ups live chat to come online tomorrow and if they can't do just the return labels I guess I'm going to go with stamps.com.