eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Shipping Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/shipping-talk/)
-   -   Customs charges (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/shipping-talk/53641-customs-charges.html)

Mr2005 11-30-2012 12:50 PM

Customs charges

I fully expected the pkg referenced in this thread to arrive with customs charges.
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/shippin...e-delay-s.html

It did not. The first small order I made with this supplier was shipped ups and came with a customs charge invoice from ups. The next two much larger shipments came via dhl with No customs charges.

Why would they not have charged customs charges on the large orders especially when they opened up the latest one?

Mr2005 12-06-2012 08:49 PM

ok, the DHL customs notice came today with a due date of tomorrow.
12.50 in duties
6.50 in payment deferment (What is this)
$25 in merchandise processing ???

is there ea way minimize this. seems like the only charges from the gov't are the duties, the rest is DHL tacking on.

How do you all handle this?

Futuremogul888 12-07-2012 09:58 AM

This is what I think everything you listed are:

duties- you know are an import tax

deferment- means they had to bill you. It is your job to pay your fees at time of import and/or to have a bond on file. If they have to chase you down they will charge you for that.

merchandise processing- the postal carrier's charge to act as your import broker. Any item that is subject to tariffs/duties takes extra steps and paperwork to get through customs.

The way to avoid those fees is to setup an import account and file all the right paperwork yourself. Then file a bond and/or pay your import taxes in advance or exactly when they are due.

Mr2005 12-26-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 (Post 399213)
This is what I think everything you listed are:

duties- you know are an import tax

deferment- means they had to bill you. It is your job to pay your fees at time of import and/or to have a bond on file. If they have to chase you down they will charge you for that.

merchandise processing- the postal carrier's charge to act as your import broker. Any item that is subject to tariffs/duties takes extra steps and paperwork to get through customs.

The way to avoid those fees is to setup an import account and file all the right paperwork yourself. Then file a bond and/or pay your import taxes in advance or exactly when they are due.

totally noob questions, but where do i even start to guestimate what my customs charges are?

i have item x come through with charges then the next time it sales through with no charges?

Mr2005 01-01-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr2005 (Post 404451)
totally noob questions, but where do i even start to guestimate what my customs charges are?

i have item x come through with charges then the next time it sales through with no charges?

can any one help with these questions. or steer me in the right direction?

zoneout 01-01-2013 09:12 PM

I really cant understand what you are complaining about since it seems you werent charged at all for one of the shipments. Dont look a gift horse in the mouth. Other than that I thought mogul covered it very well.

Mr2005 01-01-2013 09:52 PM

thats what i am trying to determine. How does one even determine what their customs charges are?
are customs rates posted somewhere?

zoneout 01-01-2013 10:44 PM

If you are talking about import duty then you should be able to get what you need either from the dept of commerce site or else look on your shippers site for more info. If you still arent clear you should try contacting yourr shipper by phone and have them explain it to you. You will probably have to speak to an agent in their international sales dept - the domestic sales agents wont have a clue.

GreenBean 01-02-2013 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr2005 (Post 406422)
thats what i am trying to determine. How does one even determine what their customs charges are?
are customs rates posted somewhere?

Part of your research to import the item should cover these types of charges.

Your research should include US Government, your potential freight agent & your shipper in whatever country you are using.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Import

Start with the above & find out what is permitted and what is not permitted.

Never forget the bottom line is your choice to declare the correct duty.
Do not be tricked by a seller into putting a lower value.
That might be verrrrrrrrrrry costly ( in terms of fines & confiscations)

Search carefully & search thoroughly.
:spy: