silver,the new gold-barrons - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Stock Market Traders

Stock Market Traders We're all about making money and being amused while doing it.

Old 10-25-2019

Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,040 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

here is an article from Barron
ilver prices have fallen 9% from this year’s highs—an opportunity for investors to buy the metal that has outperformed gold so far this month.

“If you are bullish on gold’s future prospects, silver is going to provide you with upside leverage with relatively low risks at these price levels,” says Peter Spina, president of silver news and analysis provider SilverSeek.com. “The risk-to-reward appeal in silver is one of the best opportunities in a decade.”

Silver futures settled at $17.804 an ounce on Thursday. It’s down 9% from the $19.547 settlement on Sept. 4—the highest most-active contract finish in almost three years. Silver is trading 4.7% higher so far this month, while gold has gained 2.2%.

Silver prices are catching up to gold’s rise this year, trading 14.6% higher versus gold’s 17.4% climb. Similarly, the iShares Silver Trustexchange-traded fund (ticker: SLV) has climbed 14.7% year to date, compared with the SPDR Gold SharesETF’s (GLD) 16.7% rise.

The silver price rally that began in May pulled the gold-silver ratio away from highs in the 90s, while the long-term average is about 65, says Johann Wiebe, lead metals analyst on the GFMS team at Refinitiv, a global financial data provider. “So there is plenty of room for silver to make that up in comparison to gold,” he says.

At Thursday’s price, it would take about 85 ounces of silver to buy one ounce of gold priced at $1,504.70. That’s down from a summer peak of roughly 95 ounces. Wiebe says that silver prices could potentially see highs above $20 next year, but warns that “unless we see some systemic risks creeping [in], I’m not convinced silver will move an awful lot more this year.”

In the meantime, silver’s fortunes continue to be tied to that of gold. Gold is “clearly seen as the asset of choice for investors looking for shelter from the market concerns,” says Steven Dunn, head of exchange-traded funds at Aberdeen Standard Investments. “Of the precious metals, gold is the least industrial and the most defensive.”

Still, “gold futures positioning has risen to an all-time high, so some investors are naturally rotating to silver, where prices are less stretched,” he says.

Silver is also finding support of its own, with “renewed international demand from venues” such as China, says Paul Mladjenovic, author of Precious Metals Investing for Dummies. The metal is in the “early stages of a renewed long-term bull market,” and prices can breach $18 before year end, and reach $20 to $25 during 2020.

Global silver demand rose by 4% in 2018 to reach a three-year high at 1.03 billion ounces, while global silver mine production fell for a third straight year, by 2%, to 855.7 million ounces last year, according to The Silver Institute’s World Silver Survey 2019 issued in April.

Primary silver producers needed prices in the upper teens to lower $20s for their mines to break even, leading companies to diversify with other metals and focus less on developing their silver properties, SilverSeek.com’s Spina says. At the same time, exploration has taken a major hit in the past few years, and that points to a tight supply market, he says.

“Now is an excellent period to build positions on weakness” in silver, and buyers can watch the gold price and use it as a guide for hints on when to buy, Spina says. “If gold breaks the $1,550 area and heads to $1,600 to $1,700, silver is likely to run to $21 to $25 pretty quickly,” he says.

Write to Myra P. Saefong at myra.saefong@wsj.com
More On MarketWatch

Here are Wall Street’s favorite value stocks
Don’t Trust Tesla Stock’s Big Move. Here’s Why.
6 tech stocks that could move big on earnings

Related Topics
Commodities Corner
Precious Metals
Commodities Corner
Commodities
Investing
Magazine
Base Metals
Precious Metals
Column
Commodities
Precious Metals
Base Metals
Commodities Corner
Investing
Show comments
Most Popular
Read full story
Subaru recalls 400,000 vehicles with engine issues
Read full story
Amazon earnings fall for first time in more than two years, stock drops in late trading
Read full story
Turns out Hillary Clinton said Republicans — not Russians — were grooming Tulsi Gabbard
Read full story
Want to delete Facebook? Read what happened to these people first

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
Agent, didn't you advise posters on another thread to avoid silver??
This is FYI for those who plan to buy silver,
I am just posting in case they are interested.
Personally,I dont care for silver altho I do own a small quantity of silver ingots

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
I sold all my silver in May of 2011 for $48 an ounce. I have never purchased silver again and odds are I never will.
neither would I,it moves with gold,if silver is up,gold is up as well.
Silver is a by product when you mine other metal,say copper.
Also there is a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ silver alpaca??something which sounds like that,Mexicans used to sell them as silver?

unless you have somone store it for you,silver is bulky,you have to buy many bars,ingots,where do you plan to store it?
I bought 2 lots of 10 oz silver eagle bars .999 fine in 2016,I paid $2002,$1939.
fast forward November 2019,how much is it now?
I bet not much has changed.
There is a fund in Canada,cant remember its name,it holds physical silver.

so gold is going up today !!!
Russian central bank no longer holds dollar reserves.
Who else not holding dollar ?
May be gold and crypto are better investment?

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles...=mw_latestnews
now thats my kind of silver !

Last edited by TGMT²; 07-01-2020 at 05:52 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-25-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%
Default Re: silver,the new gold-barrons

I sold all my silver in May of 2011 for $48 an ounce. I have never purchased silver again and odds are I never will.
Old 10-25-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
Agent, didn't you advise posters on another thread to avoid silver??

That was me.

I knew I was onto something and he was just trying to lead me astray.
Old 10-26-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
That was me.

I knew I was onto something and he was just trying to lead me astray.
Thanks for the morning chuckle phaz
Old 12-04-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
unless you have somone store it for you,silver is bulky,you have to buy many bars,ingots,where do you plan to store it?
I bought 2 lots of 10 oz silver eagle bars .999 fine in 2016,I paid $2002,$1939.
fast forward November 2019,how much is it now?
I bet not much has changed.
There is a fund in Canada,cant remember its name,it holds physical silver.
https://sprott.com/investment-strate...ld-and-silver/ ?