A question about Ebay's user ID's that goes by "member*****"? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 05-04-2010
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 87%
Default A question about Ebay's user ID's that goes by "member*****"?

Is it just me or does anyone else sell items on Ebay that come up with buyers User ID's that go by, "member123456" or "member78910". Those are only examples of what I am talking about, not actual or true ID's. They ALL seem a bit phishy to me.?.? Hhhmmm
Am I just paranoid? Maybe, but my thoughts are those are actual Ebay employees or people paid or hired by Ebay to make purchases to see if the sellers will make off-line sells or to see whether the location on the sellers Ebay page matches the package they receive.
Anyway, if something doesn't match...they e-mail or report to whomever. If the location on the sellers page isn't close to or the same as what is on the package they bought...they e-mail or report to whomever.

It's something to think about.

Thanks!
waterproof
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-04-2010

Longevity: 95%

u mean like lh****23 stuff like that as there user id? isnt that ebays system to hide peoples real user names for people cant highjack the ids.
Old 05-05-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

No, not at all. I do understand what you are saying as far as hiding their USer ID's by using a letter followed by astricks(****), but that's isn't it.
What I am talking about is an actual user ID.

For Example: member872641 or member285330 etc...

Maybe some people who sign up really do choose to be (member******) as their ID. But I am thinking more on the lines that these User ID's buy random things from random sellers and if at the very least their State location does not match (state location on sellers Ebay page to package received), then that sellers information from Ebay/Paypal would looked into. Or maybe they "push" to make purchases away from Ebay, which we know we can't and are not supposed to do, but for the ones who do.....then just like that,the next time you log on....you get the "MC" violation, and your left clueless.
Old 05-05-2010

Longevity: 95%

I sold a vero item to some ebay memeber whos email was ebay@staffmemeber.com so i refund them and told them i no longer had the item! I dont know if they worked for ebay or that was just there email but i wasnt going to chance it.

U think if they where really employees or people trying to catch people selling f a k e s that they wouldnt make it so obvise by useing them user names.

I sold a warcraft battle chess that i bought from a fright sells dirt cheap on ebay for $20 and the person who bought it was a lawayers office in missouri i dont know if they where trying to catch me selling a bootleg of the game or what but they got the real item and never left any feedback or made any contact what so other with me about it.
Old 05-06-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Wow..that e-mail of theirs was kind weird. That would have been my thought too and I would have refunded as you did, no doubt!
Also, I'm sure if you log into your Ebay account and try the Advanced search to where you can try to find a certain members ID, just type in "members" and I'm sure it will give you a bunch of close match-ups.

Thanks again doughboy! Enjoy your day!

waterproof
Old 05-06-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

I have sold items to ebay employees before with regular User ID name. How do I know? They kindly sent a email stating so. I think they have to do that to let the seller know they are employees. I see those user ID Member##### all the time. Most likely they couldn't use their First or Last name in the user ID so they had to come up with something they can remember and simple so they chose Member#####. I have sent stuff to lawyers offices as well. Some people just find it convenient to have it shipped to their work place.
Don't get Paranoid unless YOU KNOW that your stuff is Not REAL and illegal.

If I can make the sell OFF ebay then I will. I do it all the time. I should write a tutorial on how to make OFF ebay Sales to save fees using the Best Offer Feature and Past customers. Why give Ebay More money when you can pocket it yourself.

Yes there is always SECRET SHOPPERS out there employed by different VERO Companies.
They don't even need to buy stuff from you. They have the power to simply look at your photos and click that "Report to Ebay Button" and WHAM! Your listing will get canned.

Hope this helps.
BooMer
Old 05-10-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks BooMer and Doughboy for the great feedback! Nothing illegal being sold, I was just very curious about those type of iD's.

Thanks again!
waterproof