New Account Identity Verification I ran into today... - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 10-04-2010
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default New Account Identity Verification I ran into today...

I got a message I've never received before on one of my new accounts. I didn't get it yesterday so I'm wondering if it is new as of today. When I went to post my first item after verifying phone and putting a credit card on file I got this message:

Confirm your identity

We want to keep eBay a safe place to buy and sell, so we need a little more information from you to confirm your identity.
Please select one of the following:
Link your verified PayPal account to your eBay account
If you're already PayPal Verified, just link your PayPal account to your eBay account.

Provide your bank account information (recommended)
Use our quick, easy process to securely provide us with your bank account information.

The implication is that a bank account is now required to list on ebay. Is this new or am I missing something??
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-04-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Confirm your identity with a bank account
Your information is secure
To help keep eBay a safe place to buy and sell, please provide your bank account information.
Here's how it works
1. You enter your bank account information in PayPal

This information will help confirm that you are the owner of the account.
2. PayPal will place 2 small deposits in your bank account

These deposits will appear in your bank statement in 3 to 5 business days.
3. You then return to eBay and enter the 2 amounts

Your identity will be confirmed and you'll then be able to continue with your activity on eBay.
I agree to share my bank account information with PayPal.
Old 10-04-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Followup:

The account I posted on was 16 days old. I just pulled an older account out that was registered back in May 2010 and they did not ask for the bank verification. What is everyone elses' experience with this? Is anyone able to bypass this on an account made recently (like in the last few weeks)? Or do they only ask for this new bank verification with accounts that post too quickly after the account is registered? Or is there perhaps another reason for the bank account verification?
Old 10-04-2010

Longevity: 89%

I got this 2-3 weeks ago but I didnt have to add the bank to PayPal just a gift card to confirm I had a verified Paypal account which should be added first to the account by having gone through a few purchases first, after that you can un-link the account. They will also hit you to add a payment source for resolution but make sure its a gift card and never your bank account via setting up to pay those fee's by Paypal. if you added Paypal to handle resolution fee's and they will dip into your bank account via e-check so watch that one.
Old 10-04-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

So you can verify your Paypal by just adding a gift card? I didn't know you could verify that way. Does it verify immediately or after you make a transaction?
Old 10-04-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Ya, so a couple of my sleeper Paypal accounts have no bank accounts attached but have gift cards attached and I've sent a least $500 in payments on both of them. Neither of them are "verified". Are you sure about this?
Old 10-05-2010

Longevity: 79%

I just got the same message when posting my first item on a 32 day old account last week. I beleive I just entered the vcc info, and was able to continue immediately. No problems so far.
Old 10-05-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Ok, tried another account. The gift card thing on Paypal doesn't pass for verification. Any ideas??? anyone??
Old 10-05-2010
MU

Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

the gift card thing?
Old 10-05-2010

Longevity: 80%

I opened a brand new eBay account recently and yes you need to be paypal verified with a bank account before you can start selling now. This is new as was able to start selling on a slightly older account without this. I think this began in the last two weeks.
Old 10-05-2010

I use a gift card to get the expuse number to verify the paypal before having a eBay account.Then I register with ebay linking my Paypal and I buy 10 items over 2 weeks to get feedback then let it cool down. I have made over 4 accounts, one the other day and have no had this happen although I have seen this message before. Just re-read it to yourself "Provide your bank account information (recommended)" Key word recommended not required.

Last edited by bansheezone; 10-05-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Long been established that you need a verified Paypal account to sell - verification process depends on which site you are using.

That being said, sometimes you get away with starting selling without it (I have seen) but in the long run, you will be limited when you withdraw.
Old 10-05-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

You USED to be able to just add a gift card and that was good enough. Now they are requiring a bank account for verification. THAT is new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Long been established that you need a verified Paypal account to sell - verification process depends on which site you are using.

That being said, sometimes you get away with starting selling without it (I have seen) but in the long run, you will be limited when you withdraw.
Old 10-05-2010
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaversa View Post
Ok, tried another account. The gift card thing on Paypal doesn't pass for verification. Any ideas??? anyone??
Use a chase or BOA checking account. You can create them online & use them in a day or two. I have a dozen open through chase right now, works fine
Old 10-05-2010

I just made an account up 2 hrs ago and did not have to add a bank to Paypal and have one item listed and have no had any i.d verification up yet, not sure if its isolated? but yeah going with boa you can have up to 10 accounts and apply online.

I read into this alittle bit more directly on ebay, and it states "in some cases" just like they explain "recommended.

Here is a cut and paste from ebay:

To sell on eBay, you need to register on eBay and create a seller’s account. Both are free. During this one-time process, you'll provide information to verify your identity, select how you'll pay your seller fees, and let us know which payment methods you'll accept from buyers.

1. Verify your identity.
To help us provide a safe environment for the eBay community, you need to provide credit card or debit card information. In some cases, you'll also need to provide your checking account information. Your personal information is protected by eBay's Privacy Policy and encrypted by industry-standard SSL technology. If you don't have a credit card or checking account, or don't want to submit this information, you can verify your identity using ID Verify.

Verify your identity with your credit card information
Your card won't be charged unless you authorize eBay to use it to pay your seller fees, which are charged only when you list or sell items.

To ensure your card is accepted:
Make sure your credit card number is correct.

Check your address - it must match the billing address on your monthly statement.

Verify that your account has been activated.

Make sure your credit card or debit card account is in good standing.

Make sure your account doesn't have an Internet or phone order block.

For debit cards, use only those with Visa or MasterCard logos.

If you need more help with your credit card or debit card, contact your card issuer.

Verifying your identity with your checking account information
Your account information is used for identification purposes only. eBay deducts fees from your account only if you authorize eBay to use it to pay your seller fees.

To ensure your checking account goes on file:
Make sure your routing number is correct. You’ll find your routing number on the bottom of your checks, usually between the symbols. Routing numbers are 9 digits long. If you don’t have a check available, ask your bank for your routing number.

Make sure your checking account number is correct. You’ll find your checking account number on the bottom of your checks, usually before the symbol.

If you need more help, contact your bank.

Verifying your identity with ID Verify
If you don't have a credit card or don't want to have your card on file, you can establish proof of identity with ID Verify. It will be valid until your name, home address, or phone number change. You'll be charged for this service only when you complete the process.
2. Tell us how you'll pay your seller fees.
When becoming a seller, you need to select how you pay your eBay.com listing fees . You can pay your seller fees using any of the following payment methods:
PayPal (monthly and one-time payments)

Credit card (monthly and one-time payments)

Direct pay from your checking account (monthly and one-time payments)

Check (business only)

For more details, see Paying your seller fees.
3. Select the payment methods you'll accept from your buyers.
The next step is to select and set up the payment methods you'll accept from buyers. How you set up your payment options varies by each method.
Read about selecting payment methods you’ll accept and setting up your payment preferences.

Last edited by bansheezone; 10-05-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Interesting. So, I wonder what makes an account have to go through the bank account requirement as opposed to just the regular credit card verification?
Old 10-05-2010

Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne.w1 View Post
I opened a brand new eBay account recently and yes you need to be paypal verified with a bank account before you can start selling now. This is new as was able to start selling on a slightly older account without this. I think this began in the last two weeks.

thats not quite true, i opened an account 6 days ago listed something and it sold yesterday and my paypal don't have an account attached at all

same as everything else, hit and miss, some people will get it and some not

my conclusion is that ebay and paypal are having difficulty keeping up with there own systems

Bend it, Shape it, Anyway you want it...http://www.auto-professionals.co.uk/...lies/dance.gif

Last edited by Stigger; 10-05-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2010

most likley what you try to sell also.
Old 10-05-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I tried 8 more accounts tonight and they ALL got hit with this new request. I tried testing a listing in 8 different categories with starting bids of $0.99. Simple stuff. Nothing VERO. If anyone is having success bypassing this new requirement....PLEASE EXPLAIN what you are doing??
Old 10-05-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Also, if anyone has gone through this verification....

Did you also get hit with an MC010 or does going through the bank verification make the account stronger?

I don't see how eBay is attracting ANY new sellers anymore. With all the BS hoops they make you jump through now I would be so turned off if I was a new seller.

Ebay is a company on a suicide mission