Told you guys to check out your local thrift stores! - Page 3 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 02-09-2012
Banned
Threadstarter  

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
This is Sandy_D's big thread.
I am hoping that I can help someone.

When someone goes into a thrift store, yard sale, flea market etc they will hopefully remember this thread and when they see something one of us posted they will grab it and make some money on it.

We all learn something new everyday and like me buying gallons of paint was never a thought until I realized that people will buy anything they need at a lower price then retail if the price is right.

It has worked for me to change the way I look at things. I know not everyone wants to be out running around and looking but for me I love it. The treasure hunt is what I like.

Going to estate auctions is what I really like to do but opening myself up to a new world of finding hidden gems elsewhere is not only challenging but rewarding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
biggunn (02-12-2012)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-09-2012
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

I once found 400 my profit of items in a dumpster. All kinds of Columbia sportswear. Really kool stuff including a laptop. I love driving around and finding computers sitting out for the garbage man. Every time I see an old Dell its like finding $50.
Old 02-09-2012
Banned
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by planes View Post
I once found 400 my profit of items in a dumpster. All kinds of Columbia sportswear. Really kool stuff including a laptop. I love driving around and finding computers sitting out for the garbage man. Every time I see an old Dell its like finding $50.
Old Dells? Meaning scraping the metal inside right?
biggunn (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012

Longevity: 74%

Or taking it apart and selling for parts?
Old 02-10-2012
Banned
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by planes View Post
LOL

My luck you would fall into the dumpster and fall on someone who's asleep.

Old 02-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 75%

Thanks for the thread, Sandy D. I had always pretty much brushed off flea markets and such.. I went to a small flea market yesterday to check things out. Found a working Panasonic VSC RR-830 for $3! It is some kind of vintage voice recorder worth $60 to up to $500. A decent profit regardless of condition. I also got 10 MLB certified baseballs for $5.. These balls retail for at least $15 each...

The flea market was pretty fun too.. Other than some of the vulture salesman at these things, lol. But if you say "No" enough times, they usually throw a dirt cheap price out, sold.
Old 02-12-2012

Longevity: 95%

Fleamarkets is a good way to people to sell off non working junk. i bought a dvd player and a dvd rom in the past from the fleamarket the sliver toung bstard said to work and neather items worked and they where no where to be found the next sun when i went back.
Old 02-12-2012
Banned
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunn View Post
Thanks for the thread, Sandy D. I had always pretty much brushed off flea markets and such.. I went to a small flea market yesterday to check things out. Found a working Panasonic VSC RR-830 for $3! It is some kind of vintage voice recorder worth $60 to up to $500. A decent profit regardless of condition. I also got 10 MLB certified baseballs for $5.. These balls retail for at least $15 each...

The flea market was pretty fun too.. Other than some of the vulture salesman at these things, lol. But if you say "No" enough times, they usually throw a dirt cheap price out, sold.
Good!!

You just learned to open your eyes for things you normally would never look at.

The baseballs is a perfect example of that. Who would ever think to look at them?

Good job BG.
biggunn (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012
Banned
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboykilla View Post
Fleamarkets is a good way to people to sell off non working junk. i bought a dvd player and a dvd rom in the past from the fleamarket the sliver toung bstard said to work and neather items worked and they where no where to be found the next sun when i went back.
First of all you are at a flea market. If you purchases these items I would bet they were low priced.
Second, why on earth would you buy electronics with checking it out first?

You cannot say there is not electric plugs because I carry a converter with me in my van. If I need to check an electronic item I ask them if it works, if I want to buy it I tell them I have a converter that I can plug into your cig lighter to see if it does work. If it does not work they will so no and you dont buy it.

I would never spend big bucks on electronics without checking it and if you got it for next to nothing then you took the risk for a low dollar amount and nothing hurt.

Lesson learned here. Dont buy electronics that you cannot check.
Old 02-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
Good!!

You just learned to open your eyes for things you normally would never look at.

The baseballs is a perfect example of that. Who would ever think to look at them?

Good job BG.
Exactly! Great example.. A slightly used baseball is only worth 50 cents... But Rawlings Official MLB balls...
Old 02-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

This thread rocks,

I just went to a fleamarket and looked around on Friday to see what is happening. Best $1 entrance fee I ever spent. First time in a fleamarket since I was 12 or 13 years old, over 15 years ago.

I concentrated on the things I know, I know computers and computer parts right out of my head, no need to check on prices online or anything. Well, I came back with tons of hard drives and older desktops. I had to call my sister and get her to use her car's trunk and back seat for extra storage.

My best items I bought where SSD hard drives when the seller thought they were external hard drive cases. For $2 each I ended buying everything he had, it was 12 SSD drives. I figure it will sell for $80-$200 each, depending on the size. I bought 8 desktop computers that I'll piece them up and sell individually. I only bought 3 laptops cuz I figure the hard drive and cpu are worth it. I was about to buy some Dell laptop chargers but I went over my budget so I didn't. I budgeted $800 and sent $790.

Since I don't have a 2 car garage, my spare bedroom in my house is full. By tomorrow, that room will be a complete mess with computer parts everywhere. I only need more EB accounts to start selling. Oh, and my sister thinks I am completely nuts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yotano211 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (02-22-2012), Sandy D (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012
Banned
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotano211 View Post
This thread rocks,

I just went to a fleamarket and looked around on Friday to see what is happening. Best $1 entrance fee I ever spent. First time in a fleamarket since I was 12 or 13 years old, over 15 years ago.

I concentrated on the things I know, I know computers and computer parts right out of my head, no need to check on prices online or anything. Well, I came back with tons of hard drives and older desktops. I had to call my sister and get her to use her car's trunk and back seat for extra storage.

My best items I bought where SSD hard drives when the seller thought they were external hard drive cases. For $2 each I ended buying everything he had, it was 12 SSD drives. I figure it will sell for $80-$200 each, depending on the size. I bought 8 desktop computers that I'll piece them up and sell individually. I only bought 3 laptops cuz I figure the hard drive and cpu are worth it. I was about to buy some Dell laptop chargers but I went over my budget so I didn't. I budgeted $800 and sent $790.

Since I don't have a 2 car garage, my spare bedroom in my house is full. By tomorrow, that room will be a complete mess with computer parts everywhere. I only need more EB accounts to start selling. Oh, and my sister thinks I am completely nuts.
Awesome job!

It is out there if you are willing to go looking.
Old 02-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

lol, oh its out there and located at the outdoor swap meet. It was such a beatuful day outside in Vegas, temp is 70 or so, without any clouds and sun shining, no wind also. The swap meet was full. Best part out of all this is that my sister thinks I really lost it for buying complete junk, we'll see.

I just tested all of the SSD drives and they all work, major $$. 75% of the other hard drives work, the rest I will just sell for parts. I cant test the memory since I dont have a working desktop. I'll still sell it all used.
Old 02-12-2012

Longevity: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
First of all you are at a flea market. If you purchases these items I would bet they were low priced.
Second, why on earth would you buy electronics with checking it out first?

You cannot say there is not electric plugs because I carry a converter with me in my van. If I need to check an electronic item I ask them if it works, if I want to buy it I tell them I have a converter that I can plug into your cig lighter to see if it does work. If it does not work they will so no and you dont buy it.

I would never spend big bucks on electronics without checking it and if you got it for next to nothing then you took the risk for a low dollar amount and nothing hurt.

Lesson learned here. Dont buy electronics that you cannot check.
lol the a**hole was quick to tell me there was no plugs to try it out on and i would highly dout i could had took the items and walked back to the truck with them w/o paying for them first just to try them out. Ever since then when i go to these swap meets people always trying to sell junk like lcd monitors and stuff then expect me to take there word that it works no sir fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. These people come at u like carnival stand attendants. Thing u got to remember about fleamarkets these peeople are here trying to make money so u might get luckly and find something to resell for profit but most times its inflated junk that they picked up at yard sales and auctions and what not. The real money makers is always yard sale and most always honest people at yard sales cause if they screw u then u know where they live and u can take the dollars out of there a** or there ride :D

Last edited by doughboykilla; 02-12-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2012
Banned
Threadstarter  

Goodness DBK why are you trying to infuse negativity into this thread?

If you are not smart enough to not test something electronic before you buy it then I would like to sell you a truckload.

Just a hint to help you out with your dilemma---No flea market I have ever been to and I have been going to them since I was able to walk does not have an outlet somewhere. If I bought something that I was told did not work and tried it out before I left you can bet your sweet bippy I would get my money back. The owners of the market would not tolerate a seller selling something they said worked and did not.

You have a couple post in this thread and all finding faults at finding things.

This thread was not meant for someone to constantly bring up your mistakes in buying or lack of knowledge to know where to find anything. So far many here have done well in finding things but you have not?

You posted that all your goodwills etc have nothing but junk etc. You must be looking for the wrong things as I never go into a thrift store without seeing something I can flip.

If you dont have anything to share other then your poor experiences then dont post in this thread as it is not helpful to anyone.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
biggunn (02-13-2012), Gman91189 (02-22-2012), GreenBean (02-22-2012), lakeman (02-12-2012), yotano211 (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012
Executive [VIP]

Sometimes it doesn't even matter if an item works or not... I bought a 4-stroke weed-wacker at a flea market on Saturday.. It was missing the bottom half that has the blade. I start to ask if the motor still ran, but then said forget about it, I'll just take it. Why not since it was only $1...
Old 02-13-2012
Executive [VIP]

Sell the weed-wacker for parts and you'll get more then $1.

When I go to buy used hard drives I always bring along my laptop and an external case to power up the drive to see if it functions. If the hard drives are desktop or 3.5 inch drives I bring along a power adapter for my car and power it at my car if I can't find a power socket.
Old 02-13-2012

Longevity: 78%

Goodwill I found 2 books from 1845 that were the Greek Testament 1 and 2. I paid $1 each and they are extremely hard to price since they are rare. Easy 100-200 each in their immaculate condition.

They are for my personal collection though
The Following User Says Thank You to Axcend For This Useful Post:
Sandy D (02-17-2012)
Old 02-14-2012
Banned
Threadstarter  

Finds of today

2 NFL Jerseys 1970's

2 New Ekco Hoodies, never worn with tags

1 Baby Phat childs clothing item

2 Black and Decker New Irons

2 Ping golf clubs with covers

Bag of original Monopoly pieces

Knapp steel toe shoes brand new with tags

Crystal glass cake stand rare Italian item and marked!!

Bag of WWF figurines 1985

Few other little items to build feedback on newer account.

Nice trip at the thrift store. Spent about an hour there and probably will make 200 or more profit easily. Only had time today to hit this one but there are 3 more on this little route I take.
biggunn (02-14-2012)
Old 02-17-2012
Banned
Threadstarter  

Finds of the day. Great day to be out.

Box of American Flyer track, switch, parts, trees etc - 60 years old

Awesome Dale Earnhardt (SR) jacket, minor wear but still an awesome find for 4.99.

Nintendo DS

New York Mets 1969 Pennant in a matted frame. ( Miracle Mets fame )

Box of gold plated silverware, some pieces missing but in the original wooden box. Last one

Murano Glass vase

Sony Walkman ( have to research this thinking it is the first one from the 80's?)
biggunn (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012
Executive [VIP]

Today I found 4 Rawlings catchers masks for $2 each. Nearly brand new condition. These sell for $20 to $25 each.
The Following User Says Thank You to biggunn For This Useful Post:
Sandy D (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012
Executive [VIP]

More swap meet findings for me. I found more hard drives in good shape.

15 desktop hard drives that range from 750gb to 1.5 TB
10 laptop drives from 160gb to 250gb

paid $173 for all not including the $1 entrance fee.

My legs hurt, it's a lot of walking.