The IP address problem...please help! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 02-23-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 92%
Default The IP address problem...please help!

Hi - congratulations on a remarkable forum! It's the first time I've ever happily paid to be a member of anything without crying! :P

Sooooooooooo...the IP Problem here in UK? I've read eBay Stealth about six times in last two days but I'm still in a quandry as to what is the best method to mask my IP from eBay.

I intend to create around 5/6 new eBay seller accounts but I'm so confunsed as to how I can continually change my IP address between accounts. I work from a computer upstairs when the main router is downstairs (we have the same IP). The IP I am currently working from has been been pulled by PayPal (and subsequently eBay) because I refunded too many buyers in a period of 1 month (I refuse to send to unconfirmed addreses).

I have recently purchased a job lot of 10,000 T5 Slimming Pills. I was doing quite well selling them (making around £900-£1500 a week!)...until PayPal suspended me of course!

Now I'm biting back...lol. But I need some specific help on this IP problem. If I use a VPN then I could end up with an IP anywhere in UK and eBay will surely flag my account? I think proxy is a no-no from what I have read.

Help me if you can???

Also, I don't want to get in trouble for trying to recruit/advertise or anything but I am also willing to dropship for anyone willing to sell the slimming pills on. The more the merrier. I have 10,000 and a sale of 60 is around £25 on eBay (given the right marketing). I'll charge anyone interested £13 per 60 and even do the shipping! The more you sell the more we all make. Don't shoot me for asking...lol

Take care all...and once again great forum!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-23-2009
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

You don't want to mask your IP.. the only thing you can do is change it.

Have you tried changing your IP Address by unplugging your modem for a couple minutes and plugging it back in?

If you direct connect to your modem it would work a lot better. Because usually when a router is involved, you have to reset it as well, and even when you do that it's mac address can hang onto a certain IP Address.

I have several routers and I switch them out to get a new IP if I need it. I also use my IPhone tether connection for PayPal.

You can also try dialup, which is perfect for our needs.

Read more in this section: http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/
Old 02-23-2009
Threadstarter  

Thanks Askpin,
I am looking at a dial up connection right now. Am I right in thinking that I can use the dial-up to register accounts and then use normal high-speed broadband to list items through Auctiva? Also, do you know if the likes of Orange and 02 have dynamic IP addresses on their Mobile Internet dongles? I was hoping I could put one of those into my comp? Dial up is perfect perhaps (even if a little slow) but I still would need to make sure that the IP address is not the same as any other accounts?!

I presume PayPal and eBay both need to be registered from the same IP?

I get every aspect of the Ebay stealth guide...It's just a bit of bummer trying to figure out this IP problem. I have read on here that eBay 'doesn't like it' when we are accessing account from different IP addresses but with Dial-Up this is exactly what will be happening time and time again? Unless we just stick to Auctiva.

Sorry Askpin...

Thanks for you help
Old 02-23-2009
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

Nah, dial up is fine. Now if you access your account with a connection from another country, then that would be bad. Also be sure to setup user accounts on your comp, to keep flash objects and cookies intact.

And yes once you setup your eBay account, and link it to Auctiva.. you can work from Auctiva with your high speed connection. Just keep things separate and you'll be fine.
Old 02-23-2009
Threadstarter  

Excellent - so should I opt for a monthly Dial-Up plan or use someone like:
Broadband and Free PAYG internet access - inspiron

Is it just a matter of choice or is it 'safer' (stealth-wsie) to get a monthly plan?
Old 02-23-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

the plan of your ISP makes no difference.
Old 02-23-2009
Threadstarter  

What do you mean by plan? Sorry
Old 02-23-2009
Threadstarter  

It wasn't that I was referring to - I was just wondering if I should use a separate website for their pay and go dial-up or whether I should have it myself?! I was just concerned that eBay may pick up on the fact that I was using an 0845 dial-up site (1p per minute). I think the only reason I ask is because the Dial-up is only needed to register accounts as we can use Braodband for the Auctiva uploading. I would need to install an extra phone line etc if I were to 'purchase' a dial-up modem rather than using a 'dial-up website'. Hope I'm making sense?

Last edited by mattytman; 02-23-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2009

Longevity: 95%

U wouldn't need to purchase an Xtra line Matt, just create all required ebay/pp accounts using dial up, once up and sorted, upload listings from auctiva having reconnected your broadband.
Old 02-23-2009
Threadstarter  

Thanks - but what method of Dial-Up would I need? It's all so confusing for me. I have no knowledge of anything but eBay it seems - lol. Thanks
Old 02-23-2009

Just sign up with any Matt, think i used orange, no contract as it's only dial up, seems a long winded approach your taking, but i've not had too create multiple accounts for a while.. i personally use BT with homehub, and IP easly changed by resetting router for 1 seconds or so..
Old 02-23-2009
Threadstarter  

Thanks for your help scouse - I'll give it a whirl. Have you had long success using the stealth method? How many accounts do you run? Any more help would be more than appreciated
Old 02-23-2009

Havn't lost an account for well over 12 months matt, but then again i don't do a lot wrong as far as ebay goes, stay well clear of Vero items (Branded Items)

Also check the latest prices on ebay for them pills, it looks like a lot of competition and you'll more than likely keep getting reported by the competition, so keep your listings completely clean.
Old 02-23-2009
Threadstarter  

Sounds impressive! Hope I can keep in touch with you. It's good to have someone in UK for help. If I have multiple accounts I can list fewer items on each one. I'm not isolating myself to those pills but it is a good little earner (while it lasts). I'm looking for other 'cleaner' products as we speak...

I really want to give it a go this time.

Have you had to provide passport details etc to PayPal in the last year? If so - how did you get on?

This time next year rodders...this time next year
Old 02-24-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

There are other choices of ID should you ever need to supply them.
Old 03-31-2009

Longevity: 87%

Some people forget to make use of the cellphone internet, i just have a unlimited package on my phone and with nokia's you can use it as modems. Everytime when i make a connection i get a new ip which is also in the region you life in.
Old 03-31-2009

Mattytman, I use AOL dial up for the same reasons and than I list my auctions through Auctiva. The only other thing you need to watch for is answering buyer's email. You can read them if forwarded to your Broadband connection email account, but don't get tempted to answer them from there. You would need to sign into your EBay account and this will send out your IP. Just a thought...........
Old 03-31-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyda View Post
Mattytman, I use AOL dial up for the same reasons and than I list my auctions through Auctiva. The only other thing you need to watch for is answering buyer's email. You can read them if forwarded to your Broadband connection email account, but don't get tempted to answer them from there. You would need to sign into your EBay account and this will send out your IP. Just a thought...........

I asked this question a while back and Aspkin answered, if you have gmail you can press reply and it goes straight to questioning buyers email direct, without showing an IP to ebay or buyer.
Old 03-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
I asked this question a while back and Aspkin answered, if you have gmail you can press reply and it goes straight to questioning buyers email direct, without showing an IP to ebay or buyer.
Good to know, Thanks OOmpaloompa! My Gmail email is not on any Ebay/PayPals and I don't sell that much as some guys here, so I don't mind getting into AOL dial up when I have to.
Old 03-31-2009

Longevity: 88%
Send a message via AIM to lakeman Send a message via MSN to lakeman Send a message via Yahoo to lakeman

Oompaloompa, Yes that way works but doesn't it get quite confusing? If you are selling on just one Ebay account, it would work fine. But if you are using 2 or more and you use the reply method, doesn't it still say questions unanswered when you log in to your Ebay account? That would be extremely confusing and a lot harder for me. I would not remember who I replied to and who I didn't.
Old 03-31-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

^^^BUT if you have multiple accounts, you have your trusty excel file where you note who you have dealt with: dealing with emails from buyers is a lot different from social exchanges.LOL.
Read the thread in the subscribers' area about having multiple sellers accounts. Cover yourself, simple as.
Old 03-31-2009

Longevity: 88%
Send a message via AIM to lakeman Send a message via MSN to lakeman Send a message via Yahoo to lakeman

Yea, I guess that would work. I've always logged in to each account to answer questions. But I can see how, if you kept track of who you replied to in excel, it would make it a lot simpler. Thanks Greenbean!