eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   UK eBay & Paypal (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/)
-   -   HMRC complmpliance check (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay-paypal/105489-hmrc-complmpliance-check.html)

screwbay 02-27-2017 11:07 AM

HMRC complmpliance check

Hi guys today i was shocked to recieve a HMRC compliance letter asking for some details that i need to provide to HMRC.

One of the requirements was to include my ebay username and teh iste i trade on.

What do i do for this?!!

screwbay 02-27-2017 12:13 PM

Re: HMRC complmpliance check

i think an accountant was suspicious i had 3 paypal accounts hence this popping up.

wired 02-27-2017 01:47 PM

You need to be more forthcoming with your situation if you need advice.

Just give them one of your ebay names - but if its more complicated then you need to explain.

screwbay 02-27-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wired (Post 833019)
You need to be more forthcoming with your situation if you need advice.

Just give them one of your ebay names - but if its more complicated then you need to explain.

i am i have never had anything like this before so i dont know how forthcoming i should be?

They seemed to think i may be underpaying in my self assesment forms.

in 2014/15 i made double of what i did in 2015/16 maybe this was supicous to them.

I have always payed the right amount in all of my self assesments, nothing was underpaid, but im just unsure re the names on the ebay accounts plus addresses, i am unsure what tdo here, im guessing they will see that and ask questions.

wired 02-27-2017 02:29 PM

It dosent matter, they just want to see numbers, IF they audit and look, which 9/10 , they wont.

The address can be classed as a warehouse address, and the name can be your 'manager' or to the like.

screwbay 02-27-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wired (Post 833031)
It dosent matter, they just want to see numbers, IF they audit and look, which 9/10 , they wont.

The address can be classed as a warehouse address, and the name can be your 'manager' or to the like.

im thinking of just change the address to my banned address add an extra A or something on it, as i dont want to risk it.

this is completeley out of the blue, i did show my accounts to an accountant online one, and he was being a bit off. it probably was him who notified them, as i use three paypals it probably looked suspicious to him what an idiot.

hmrc work with ebay so they can figure out everything etc. im a sole trader and not ltd, so i doubt i will have a manager or warehouse.

screwbay 02-27-2017 02:44 PM

if they decide to inspect the premises then....that would be another problem.

Haidukken 02-27-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwbay (Post 833035)
im thinking of just change the address to my banned address add an extra A or something on it, as i dont want to risk it.

this is completeley out of the blue, i did show my accounts to an accountant online one, and he was being a bit off. it probably was him who notified them, as i use three paypals it probably looked suspicious to him what an idiot.

hmrc work with ebay so they can figure out everything etc. im a sole trader and not ltd, so i doubt i will have a manager or warehouse.

Quote:

nd he was being a bit off

Quote:

i use three paypals it probably looked suspicious to him what an idiot.
You two sound like an accident waiting to happen, perhaps you both need to take a deep breath and look deep within, to find some answers. Perhaps you should have a better idea how to handle your business stuff and then with full knowledge find an accountant who is suitable for your needs.

http://screencrush.com/442/files/201...d-dumber-2.jpg

screwbay 02-27-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haidukken (Post 833041)

You two sound like an accident waiting to happen, perhaps you both need to take a deep breath and look deep within, to find some answers. Perhaps you should have a better idea how to handle your business stuff and then with full knowledge find an accountant who is suitable for your needs.

http://screencrush.com/442/files/201...d-dumber-2.jpg

i could just be a bit paranoid....

I think this normal the leter stated if ive overpaid "i will get refunded" if ive underpaid "i will have to pay th extra amount with interest" plus may "pay a penalty."

it could just be a random check, as they are known to do this, something must have falgged me.

wired 02-27-2017 03:21 PM

Dude, serious, Haidda is right, chill out. Go see a proper accountant and explain to them how you operate and pick up a prescription for some benzos en route.

If this is a real serious HMRC check they would be knocking at your door, not writing you letters.

screwbay 02-27-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wired (Post 833044)
Dude, serious, Haidda is right, chill out. Go see a proper accountant and explain to them how you operate and pick up a prescription for some benzos en route.

If this is a real serious HMRC check they would be knocking at your door, not writing you letters.

lool hahaha i think i am overreacting abit,

but what do i do regarding the names, they want usernames, should i give them all? or just one. they are differnet names to mine so, will this cause any problems.

Bunneh 02-27-2017 03:46 PM

well give them the ebay user name for the ebay account that has the same address where you received this letter..

screwbay 02-27-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunneh (Post 833048)
well give them the ebay user name for the ebay account that has the same address where you received this letter..

thats been inactive for a long time, ive not used it since 2015.
its not suspended, i just cant sell on it.

Bunneh 02-27-2017 04:00 PM

so this inactive account is the only ebay account you have that is registered at the address where you received this letter?

If so, seems like it is random.

screwbay 02-27-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunneh (Post 833051)
so this inactive account is the only ebay account you have that is registered at the address where you received this letter?

If so, seems like it is random.

yes, i use stealth accounts now.

any advice what i should do? im thinking just to change the name, or i could say its a friends account that i use?

wired 02-27-2017 04:10 PM

Unless your ex girlfriend is trying to shaft you...if she buys you a bottle of lube for your birthday, then you know it was her that dobbed you in.

screwbay 02-27-2017 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wired (Post 833053)
Unless your ex girlfriend is trying to shaft you...if she buys you a bottle of lube for your birthday, then you know it was her that dobbed you in.

lol
im certain ive done nothing wrong, ive paid all my taxes that im due. Its a random check, i will supply everything they ask for, but the stealth details might cause suspicions, so im not sure what to do here, change the address and name on them or just say ive used a friends account to trade with on occasions.

Bunneh 02-27-2017 04:58 PM

Seems weird that they would ask for info on an account you havent sold on for 2 years?

Play 02-27-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwbay (Post 832978)
One of the requirements was to include my ebay username and teh iste i trade on.

This may just be me, but I think your overthinking the situation.

From the sounds of it, its probably just a random check. HMRC from what I gather should be able to see your ebay sales. If you give them your username, I presume all they want to do is check that your takings add up with what ebay have to say about your sales figures.

They also mentioned they want to know if you trade on other sites as well... so if the figures don't add up on the ebay front, they will know any remaining figure must be coming from the other site(s).

I would speak to an experienced accountant to get an idea of what it is HMRC actually want from you, and perhaps they can interpret it better.

Most importantly find out when the deadline is to act on this, so you get everything done in time.

:thumb:

screwbay 02-27-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play (Post 833063)
This may just be me, but I think your overthinking the situation.

From the sounds of it, its probably just a random check. HMRC from what I gather should be able to see your ebay sales. If you give them your username, I presume all they want to do is check that your takings add up with what ebay have to say about your sales figures.

They also mentioned they want to know if you trade on other sites as well... so if the figures don't add up on the ebay front, they will know any remaining figure must be coming from the other site(s).

I would speak to an experienced accountant to get an idea of what it is HMRC actually want from you, and perhaps they can interpret it better.

Most importantly find out when the deadline is to act on this, so you get everything done in time.

:thumb:

Thanks for the reply, i gathered this.

But is it not an issue, that the ebay accounts registration name and address is different to my own? what possible explanation can i give?
i can state it is my friends address....freinds account...

or i can change the registration name and address to my own, ad a little A on the house number, it might just work a charm.

i only use ebay, nothing else.

so my question is should i give them one username or all of them? and what about the name and address on each of them.

ive spoken to an accountant they stated it should be ok if the name/address is different, but not sure what i should do, i have a month to gather everything they need.

e2free 02-27-2017 09:18 PM

Well my advice don't take this thing easy it's serious matter, they don't normally send these types of letters unless it's always trigger with our own mistakes, sales going up and down each year, sending returns late, paying late etc

Best to change one ebay account address with your business name which you declared to hmrc and give that username if this account feedback match with your declared income you will be good to go,

If not then they will ask further documents ie invoices, expenses, bank statements etc
If you give all your account Id this may give you more trouble

screwbay 02-27-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e2free (Post 833092)
Well my advice don't take this thing easy it's serious matter, they don't normally send these types of letters unless it's always trigger with our own mistakes, sales going up and down each year, sending returns late, paying late etc

Best to change one ebay account address with your business name which you declared to hmrc and give that username if this account feedback match with your declared income you will be good to go,

If not then they will ask further documents ie invoices, expenses, bank statements etc
If you give all your account Id this may give you more trouble

yes i think this is th best thing to do.

i may change on some accounts and give them

they have already asked for bank statments, paypal transactional records for the whole tax year.

yes my sales dropped 50% in 15/16 tax year than year before hence why it probably triggered this for me, plus i file my returns very late close to deadline.

i will send all my paypal transactional data they have asked for, so they can calulate for themselves that i havent underpaid or overpaid in tax and have paid what i owe them.

the oly thing is name and address on ebay dont match.