Paypal refund buyer after using and breaking item for 4 weeks - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 11-04-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default Paypal refund buyer after using and breaking item for 4 weeks

I sell car parts online. I sold an engine for £950 to a buyer which was delivered september 14th. He started a dispute one month later october 16th saying item wasnt as described it started making a knocking noise. Paypal have now found the dispute in his favour and I have to accept the return. Im absolutely livid. How can someone used my goods for 4 weeks, break it, then expect to return it for a full refund which paypal agree to??? Is there anything I can do? It states in the returns that item must be returned in original condition, which it clearly wont be now its broken.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-04-2017

Longevity: 38%
Default Re: Paypal refund buyer after using and breaking item for 4 weeks

All goods sold have to be fit for purpose, if there is a genuine issue with the engine 4 weeks later then you're required to accept the return (presuming it's a B2C transaction). I'd suggest you arrange the collection yourself otherwise god knows what you'll receive back....
Old 11-04-2017
Threadstarter  

Good were fit for purpose though.
It was good when I sent it, good when fitted and good for 4 weeks until it broke.
37 days to be presice. Which falls outside any 14 day cool off period and 30 day warranty period
Old 11-04-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

What? Are you not aware PayPal decided it can (and the deckers do) refund bleeding,whinging buyers upto 180 days.

Suggest you double check the evil tricks of PayPal

Old 11-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple filtered View Post
Good were fit for purpose though.
It was good when I sent it, good when fitted and good for 4 weeks until it broke.
37 days to be presice. Which falls outside any 14 day cool off period and 30 day warranty period
Under the consumer rights act 2015 it all leans in favor of the customer. If a fault is reported within the first 6 months it's presumed that the fault was there at the time of purchase and it's down to you as the seller to prove otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnWall For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 54%

Quote:
I sell car parts online. I sold an engine for £950 to a buyer which was delivered september 14th. He started a dispute one month later october 16th saying item wasnt as described it started making a knocking noise. Paypal have now found the dispute in his favour and I have to accept the return. Im absolutely livid. How can someone used my goods for 4 weeks, break it, then expect to return it for a full refund which paypal agree to??? Is there anything I can do? It states in the returns that item must be returned in original condition, which it clearly wont be now its broken.
4 weeks are nothing PayPal issue refund even item is 6 months old, you can make appeal to PayPal after you get item back as it's not same as you sent they will ask photos from you and declaration will reimburse you cost price but this will also goes negative on your account
Old 11-04-2017

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

If £950 is significant sum of money in your line of work, I'd just flog this off as faulty when you receive it to recoup your losses, and take the hit.

This from of loss is part and parcel of not just selling on ebay/paypal, but selling online. Everyone has to put up with these.

P.S. If this is a common occurrence, then of course it won't be economically feasible for you to keep refunding, at which point you'd need to question the product your selling. But I doubt that applies to you from the wording of your message.
Old 11-04-2017
Threadstarter  

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have an early right to reject goods that are unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund.

But this right is limited to 30 days from the date you took ownership of the goods (this could be the date of purchase or delivery - whichever is later).

I have emailed paypal to reverse the decision after speaking to financial ombudsman who say I have a reasonable grounds for a complaint.
I will await their reply. If they dont reverse then I will refuse return as goods are not in same condition as when I sent them
Old 11-04-2017

Quote:
Under the Consumer Rights Act you have an early right to reject goods that are unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund.

But this right is limited to 30 days from the date you took ownership of the goods (this could be the date of purchase or delivery - whichever is later).

I have emailed paypal to reverse the decision after speaking to financial ombudsman who say I have a reasonable grounds for a complaint.
I will await their reply. If they dont reverse then I will refuse return as goods are not in same condition as when I sent them
You're right, within 30 days they can cancel the contract and return the goods for a full refund. But after 30 days (but within 6 months) you are still required to replace or repair items that are not fit for purpose unless you can prove the issue is due to the fault of the consumer. Even after 6 months they can still chase you for a refund or replacement but the onus is on them to prove the the issue was there at the point of sale.

But this discussion is irreverent, PayPal will allow the customer to return it to you for a full refund. You can quote as many laws etc... to them as you wish but they will not listen. You will need to take the issue up directly with the customer.
Old 11-05-2017

Longevity: 66%

You can buy a working car with 12 months mot for less than £950
Old 11-06-2017
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

You really think 37 days is a legit amount of time to wash your hands of a faulty product??

Thankfully we have laws to protect consumers from rip off merchants like you.
Old 11-06-2017

If an engine worked for 37 days, if wasn't a faulty product. Probably user neglect.
Old 11-06-2017
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaystealth1974 View Post
If an engine worked for 37 days, if wasn't a faulty product. Probably user neglect.
37 days? User neglect? Pull the other one.
Old 11-06-2017

Pull the other one? What's that mean?

Nevermind.. I see you guys are from the UK and probably don't have rambunctious gearheads like we do here, that can blow an engine up on any given day. Definitely a faulty product!
Old 11-06-2017

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaystealth1974 View Post
Pull the other one? What's that mean?

Nevermind.. I see you guys are from the UK and probably don't have rambunctious gearheads like we do here, that can blow an engine up on any given day. Definitely a faulty product!
You can have jeremy clarkson we dont want him ?
Old 11-06-2017

LOVE that dude!
Old 11-06-2017
Threadstarter  

If the engine worked fine for 37 days then it wasnt faulty justsmile.
An engine either works or it doesnt. Theres no inbetween.
Old 11-06-2017
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
If the engine worked fine for 37 days then it wasnt faulty justsmile.
An engine either works or it doesnt. Theres no inbetween.
By your logic, an engine either runs perfectly as if it just rolled off the assembly line, or it will simply not turn at all. Does that sound right to you?

Although I do agree with @just_smile, 37 days is a bit hard to tell if it's truly user neglect or faulty part. It's possible that the engine had issues prior, but symptoms simply did not show up immediately.

Last edited by BiN4RY; 11-06-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2017

I think that would be a hard item for me to deal with as a seller. Unless I did more than enough volume to deal with issues like these.
Old 11-06-2017
Threadstarter  

The engine has developed bottom end bearing knock. This can be due to a number of reasons. Faulty oil pump, low oil, cornering hard causing oil pick up starvation, blocked oil galleries.
I know for a fact it was driven hard as the buyer said the car had just been previously remapped to up the power from 280bhp to 350bhp. The engine has to be taken to redline during mapping to check ignition knock and air/fuel ratios throughout the rev range.
Old 11-06-2017

If you can prove that he abused the engine, maybe you have a leg to stand on.

As long as you aren't selling these as "race engines" lol...
Old 11-09-2017
Threadstarter  

No not race engine. Standard impreza sti 8 bottom end.
Well it was returned today. Minus all sensors, thermostat housing and oil cooler. Plus a nice chunk missing from a gearbox mount point, rendering the block scrap. Lools like he robbed it of anything of use before he returned it.