Ebay are demanding I display my VAT number in listings. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 03-19-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%
Default Ebay are demanding I display my VAT number in listings.

I have built up a good stealth account with 6500 listings available per month. However, Ebay have now demanded I put my VAT number in listings, I slightly went over the threshold without realisng. I do actually have a VAT number but its address and name details are the same as in a toasted ebay account from 2012. Ebay have said If I dont provide my VAt number, which details should match my ebay details, They wil restrict my account. I could kick myself for letting my guard down!

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I could change my ebay details so they closely match the VAT details, without getting linked or put a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ number in?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-19-2018
MU

Longevity: 82%
Default Re: Ebay are demanding I display my VAT number in listings.

I have no knowledge on this subject, but are you able to get another vat number? From looking it up it seems similar to EIN/TIN numbers and multiple look like they are able to be made - even under one business. Have you looked into this?
Old 03-19-2018

It is difficult to do that becuase the ebay account is registered to another address, and the new VAT number would be sent there. The problem is I don't know how much Ebay stringently check the details if they're valid or that they match.
Old 03-19-2018
MU

Longevity: 82%

They can check/match them, so I’d get a new number.
Old 03-19-2018

Longevity: 35%

I got this email as well - but it was a circular email sent to everyone, it wasnt directly stating that I HAVE to do it. I wasnt sure if its just eBay smokes and mirrors to LOOK like they are actually doing something about the VAT fraud, to please the HMRC, but they never actually do it.

Did you get a specific time line?

I have posted a thread about this on the forum but its waiting to be approved by a mod.

Theres a thread in the business seller forum on the ebay community forum also.
Old 03-19-2018
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 20%
Longevity: 40%

They check VAT numbers and match them to your Ebay account details, I’ve been in this situation I think the best thing you can do is open multiple accounts spread sales and never hit the threshold I usually go to a maximum of £70,000.00 and then close listings and move onto another Ebay account every time I hit £70,000.00 rotate sales between 10 to 20 accounts I’ve found this works best with out any issues. Hope this helps.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 13obby For This Useful Post:
inc (10-06-2018), james_112233 (07-17-2021), mrowcp (08-27-2018), Peppasso (07-26-2018), quizer (01-08-2019)
Old 03-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13obby View Post
They check VAT numbers and match them to your Ebay account details, I’ve been in this situation I think the best thing you can do is open multiple accounts spread sales and never hit the threshold I usually go to a maximum of £70,000.00 and then close listings and move onto another Ebay account every time I hit £70,000.00 rotate sales between 10 to 20 accounts I’ve found this works best with out any issues. Hope this helps.
When you say you've been in this situation? Did you get an email directly to you stating they would close your account if you didnt add the number or did you just get to 70k and think 'ill call it day on this till the years up'?
Old 03-19-2018

Hi yes I know about spreading the accounts to lower risk, but as you now half decnt stealth accounts take months to make. I accidentaly went over the VAt threshold on this one so I do have a valid number but the address was used in a toasted account in 2012. I actually do pay VAT on the flat rate scheme too. This the paragraph I got from Ebay...

Check that any UK VAT number you have already provided remains valid and that the company or trading name which you have provided to eBay matches that on your original VAT registration document. You can do this in your Business Seller Information which can be found in Account Settings / Site Preferences / Business Seller Preferences.

As you can see it is only the trading name that needs to match. I assume ebay arent bothered about the addresses matching as many businesses have different home and business addresses. Anyway, it's worth a go if my account is going to be brown bread anyhow?
Old 03-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by indielad1010 View Post
Hi yes I know about spreading the accounts to lower risk, but as you now half decnt stealth accounts take months to make. I accidentaly went over the VAt threshold on this one so I do have a valid number but the address was used in a toasted account in 2012. I actually do pay VAT on the flat rate scheme too. This the paragraph I got from Ebay...

Check that any UK VAT number you have already provided remains valid and that the company or trading name which you have provided to eBay matches that on your original VAT registration document. You can do this in your Business Seller Information which can be found in Account Settings / Site Preferences / Business Seller Preferences.

As you can see it is only the trading name that needs to match. I assume ebay arent bothered about the addresses matching as many businesses have different home and business addresses. Anyway, it's worth a go if my account is going to be brown bread anyhow?
So, after a little more investigation, this email is a circular and pretty much everyone got one. So I think its safe to say to let it run until the time comes when they give you thirty days to comply (Robocop voice)? Theres no point in ruffling the feathers if its just a threat...much like the whole watermarks policy was?
Old 03-19-2018
Executive [VIP]

I see where your coming from and yes why not give it a go see what happens just make sure your trading name matches the one on your VAT registration, I suppose you have nothing to loose keep us updated on how you get on. 😉 GOOD LUCK
The Following User Says Thank You to 13obby For This Useful Post:
indielad1010 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018

Thank You!
Old 03-19-2018
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authority View Post
When you say you've been in this situation? Did you get an email directly to you stating they would close your account if you didnt add the number or did you just get to 70k and think 'ill call it day on this till the years up'?
I’ve had selling privilages withdrawn on 3 accounts last year due to not providing or adding a valid VAT number to my account/listings so now when I hit 70k I just stop selling on that account until a year passes and so on.
The Following User Says Thank You to 13obby For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (04-12-2018)
Old 03-19-2018

Quote:
I got this email as well - but it was a circular email sent to everyone, it wasnt directly stating that I HAVE to do it. I wasnt sure if its just eBay smokes and mirrors to LOOK like they are actually doing something about the VAT fraud, to please the HMRC, but they never actually do it.

Did you get a specific time line?

I have posted a thread about this on the forum but its waiting to be approved by a mod.

Theres a thread in the business seller forum on the ebay community forum also.

I've actually been given 30 days to comply or they say they will restrict my account. I know there's a few less threatenig versions around
Old 03-19-2018

Thanks for the info guys..one of my accounts went over the threshold the past two years, so I guess ive been lucky so far...sounds like my good times will come to an end soon.

Can I ask how many listings on the accounts you have? - Indielad, you mentioned 6500 circa? how many for you 13obby? I only have 250 listings or so..
Old 03-20-2018
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys..one of my accounts went over the threshold the past two years, so I guess ive been lucky so far...sounds like my good times will come to an end soon.

Can I ask how many listings on the accounts you have? - Indielad, you mentioned 6500 circa? how many for you 13obby? I only have 250 listings or so..
I had a average of 600 listings on each account.
Old 03-20-2018

I sell 100-300 items per week, I never use my allowance up however I need more than 100. I find most accounts end up in the bin because cases, negative feedback and issues are rarely spreadout through the year.in a uniform manner They come in fits and spurts. This year has been an extreme example. I got no negative feedback for 5 months, then I got 7 negs in a week due to the bad weather
Old 03-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by indielad1010 View Post
I sell 100-300 items per week, I never use my allowance up however I need more than 100. I find most accounts end up in the bin because cases, negative feedback and issues are rarely spreadout through the year.in a uniform manner They come in fits and spurts. This year has been an extreme example. I got no negative feedback for 5 months, then I got 7 negs in a week due to the bad weather
Easy enough to get negs removed if you know how to play it.

Thats 400-1200 items a month roughly - thats a lot! I dont sell anywhere near that on one account, probably 70 max a week but evidently it seems my cost prices must be higher to hit the theshold also.
Old 03-20-2018

Longevity: 46%

Im in the same situation, already surpassed the 85000 threshold and received the action needed message yesterday
Old 03-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by racewilder519 View Post
Im in the same situation, already surpassed the 85000 threshold and received the action needed message yesterday
How many listings do you run?
How old is the account?
Whats your average sale price?

Trying to join some dots and come up with a picture..
Old 03-25-2018

Longevity: 44%

Also got this 30 day message.
200 listings
2 years old
Av sale price £10
Last 6 months 10k per month turnover.

I've cut sales dead for now to lower the rolling 12 month threshold. But in the meantime, do I issue a Vat No. and change my trading name to suit vat no. or do I leave it as on next months turnover calculation I will only be at 83k (2k below threshold).
I would prefer not to add one and the fact that ebay say "we MAY limit your account" makes me think that it might be worth risking it considing I will next month be back below the threshold.

Last edited by Pitdogrider; 03-25-2018 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2018

If I called HMRC to say I have exceeded the VAT threshold this month by 3k and this was a one off and it will not happen again due to how the business was set up, they have rules in place that suggest VAT registration is not required.
Should ecxeeding the limit have been the case for say 3 or 4 months then vat registration would be required.

Last edited by Pitdogrider; 03-25-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2018

This is what HMRC say;

"Get an exception
You can apply for a registration ‘exception’ if your taxable turnover goes over the threshold temporarily.

Write to HMRC with evidence showing why you believe your VAT taxable turnover won’t go over the de-registration threshold of £83,000 in the next 12 months.

HMRC will consider your exception and write confirming if you get one. If not, they’ll register you for VAT."

....so I guess based on this ebay would want an HMRC exception certificate.