Ebay are demanding I display my VAT number in listings. - Page 3 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 04-16-2018

Activity: 15%
Longevity: 41%
Default Re: Ebay are demanding I display my VAT number in listings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesstix View Post
It is now 30 days since I had my notice and I have heard nothing more from eBay. I stopped selling shortly after receiving the notice so as to drop below the annual threshold, which I have done, and I am thinking of starting again but keeping below th 85k and seeing what happens.
I was thinking if ebay do not put limits on my account ( I hope they don't ... ) I would just stop using this account for 6 months to REALLY bring down the total turnover whilst moving sales to another account for those 6 months. It would be a slow 6 months starting on an account with 0 feedback but better than getting the primary banned and it would technically be slow on the primary anyway always keeping a close eye to keep the turnover below 85k ...
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-17-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
I was thinking if ebay do not put limits on my account ( I hope they don't ... ) I would just stop using this account for 6 months to REALLY bring down the total turnover whilst moving sales to another account for those 6 months. It would be a slow 6 months starting on an account with 0 feedback but better than getting the primary banned and it would technically be slow on the primary anyway always keeping a close eye to keep the turnover below 85k ...
The issue is, eBay state it also goes on projection, not just sales. But yes sharing sales on multiple accounts has always been the advice on this forum, so thats a sensible thing to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Authority For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13obby View Post
They check VAT numbers and match them to your Ebay account details, I’ve been in this situation I think the best thing you can do is open multiple accounts spread sales and never hit the threshold I usually go to a maximum of £70,000.00 and then close listings and move onto another Ebay account every time I hit £70,000.00 rotate sales between 10 to 20 accounts I’ve found this works best with out any issues. Hope this helps.
I'm confused ... how can you be hitting 70k on multiple accounts in a 12 month period but not be VAT registered ? the way my accountant told me was you can split sales if you register two LTD companies and there is a clear separation between the two businesses rather than selling everything through one channel be that sole trader or LTD.
Old 04-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
I'm confused ... how can you be hitting 70k on multiple accounts in a 12 month period but not be VAT registered ? the way my accountant told me was you can split sales if you register two LTD companies and there is a clear separation between the two businesses rather than selling everything through one channel be that sole trader or LTD.
That all depends whether you want to declare or not.
Old 04-17-2018

Longevity: 45%

ok, so i received the same message roughly the same time, my 30 days will be up on Thursday, as of about a week ago the message from ebay with the link to add VAT number disappeared. As in its gone, wasn't deleted, just vanished of its on accord......
Old 04-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by racewilder519 View Post
ok, so i received the same message roughly the same time, my 30 days will be up on Thursday, as of about a week ago the message from ebay with the link to add VAT number disappeared. As in its gone, wasn't deleted, just vanished of its on accord......
Is your account registered in the UK ?

From what I understand if it isn't a UK registered ebay account you are told to add a VAT number from day 1 when you start selling in the UK ebay site.

My account is a UK account and the email I was sent didn't contain any links to register / add a vat number. Just a warning that in 30 days they will start pulling my listings down and eventually may put on restrictions to stop selling altogether.
Old 04-18-2018

Anybody else receive the 'April Health Check' email today ? stating that they may have to put blocks on accounts exceeding the 85k turnover.

Not looking good for a lot of us. Fingers crossed they don't touch my account as I stopped selling 31 days ago now.
Old 04-18-2018

Yes I’ve had mine too. Looking grim
Old 04-18-2018
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 24%
Longevity: 54%

its generic email all the ebay users got this email

I have VAT registered accounts and they sent same email
The Following User Says Thank You to e2free For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018

Longevity: 60%

As an update, I have put my correct VAT number on my listings. I already have been VAT registered as the tax man has much more wide ranging powers than Ebay (e.g they can repossess your house, and car, send bailiffs to kneecap you etc) However I have used my partners' address on this account to prevent linkage on ebay's robots on the site. Only my trading name matches ,my VAT details which are linked to a toasted account. I sell 1500 items a week so I found it difficult juggling accounts.

I'm just hoping Ebay aren't going to go round manually checking people's VAT details and linking them to old toasted accounts, especially if you have a good selling record on the new account. I can't see the business sense.

However, I have created some fresh accounts as a back up, but its going to take 6-12 months to build the limits up to the account I have now
Old 04-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by indielad1010 View Post
As an update, I have put my correct VAT number on my listings. I already have been VAT registered as the tax man has much more wide ranging powers than Ebay (e.g they can repossess your house, and car, send bailiffs to kneecap you etc) However I have used my partners' address on this account to prevent linkage on ebay's robots on the site. Only my trading name matches ,my VAT details which are linked to a toasted account. I sell 1500 items a week so I found it difficult juggling accounts.

I'm just hoping Ebay aren't going to go round manually checking people's VAT details and linking them to old toasted accounts, especially if you have a good selling record on the new account. I can't see the business sense.

However, I have created some fresh accounts as a back up, but its going to take 6-12 months to build the limits up to the account I have now
If you're selling that much volume there is no way around it. You should be VAT registered.

I think the rest of us have accidentally gone over the threshold or have businesses that won't be viable after VAT registration due to how competitive it already is.
Old 04-19-2018

update to my last update,

yes UK registered, my 30 days to add a VAT number are up, i also received the ''april health check'', upon receipt of the first VAT message ''warning'' whatever you want to call it i added a random Vat number, removed it, added another removed it, played about with the concept for a while, deleted all the VAT numbers i had added, and decided to ignore it, i found it strange that i could add and remove as i pleased... checked a week ago for the ''message'' to which it had miraculously vanished, went onto the account today, haven't been restricted at all, can still sell £28,000 per month, it appears for me anyway that the whole thing was a crock of ****, i started a new stealth upon receipt of the restriction warning 30 days ago, so i will in future spread sales, but for now my original account is still sitting exactly the same as it was before the 30 day warning......
Old 04-19-2018

Quote:
update to my last update,

yes UK registered, my 30 days to add a VAT number are up, i also received the ''april health check'', upon receipt of the first VAT message ''warning'' whatever you want to call it i added a random Vat number, removed it, added another removed it, played about with the concept for a while, deleted all the VAT numbers i had added, and decided to ignore it, i found it strange that i could add and remove as i pleased... checked a week ago for the ''message'' to which it had miraculously vanished, went onto the account today, haven't been restricted at all, can still sell £28,000 per month, it appears for me anyway that the whole thing was a crock of ****, i started a new stealth upon receipt of the restriction warning 30 days ago, so i will in future spread sales, but for now my original account is still sitting exactly the same as it was before the 30 day warning......
Hmmm don't know what to think of that. Sounds promising but I still think it's too early to say ... I got a feeling restrictions will be dished out on Sunday/Monday if there will be any. If the account has dropped below the VAT threshold then I think those people do not need to worry at all.
Old 04-19-2018

Mine is still a good 40,000 over the threshold, I'll update you all again in a few days incase there is any change, but I honestly think it was sent so eBay can be seen to be doing their part as far as HMRC goes, I don't reckon they'll want to be loosing their highest income sellers
Old 04-19-2018

Quote:
Mine is still a good 40,000 over the threshold, I'll update you all again in a few days incase there is any change, but I honestly think it was sent so eBay can be seen to be doing their part as far as HMRC goes, I don't reckon they'll want to be loosing their highest income sellers
I wish that is the case. Let's hope they have satisfied the VAT man. I have noticed one of my competitors registering a VAT number over the last couple of days so the threatening emails are clearly working.
Old 04-19-2018

Its quite possible people will just add random VAT numbers, it'll take ebay some time to manually check each one is correct.....
Old 04-23-2018

Quick update ...

Still over the threshold by a few thousand as of today but nothing has happened to my account. I have obviously stopped selling so no action has yet been taken.

Is it the same for any one else ?

@racewilder519 what about you considering you are significantly over ?
Old 04-23-2018

My account is still fine, I'm still pretty much still £40000 over the threshold, it's 34 days since the message so I reckon if they were gonna do anything they would have by this stage, I think we're good ��
The Following User Says Thank You to racewilder519 For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018

Longevity: 34%

Hi All

I joined up to chat about this as im over the VAT limit by a few thousand last year

The EBAY community boards has some interesting things going on about this

hxxps://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/just-seen-the-first-restricted-chinese-seller/td-p/5919442
The Following User Says Thank You to mmmbop For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018

Hi mmmbop

Just had a look at that thread, looks like this year will reveal a lot of new surprises. So they have already started restricting the chinese sellers.

Makes sense. Targeting the big international sellers first then going after the UK sellers later this year.

I'm seriously considering just becoming VAT registered so I can just sell in full force without restrictions or worrying. Just reading in to the second hand margin schemes, it just all seems overwhelming to me ( the record keeping aspect )
Old 04-24-2018

Hi james

I think from what I have read, because all sellers overseas with warehouses in UK HAVE to be VAT registered now, so its an easy prey for HMRC and eBay.

The thing with registering for VAT is youll only get one VAT number and if you run multiple accounts, it will be difficult to get multiple VAT numbers. Im no expert but thats my view. Plus if PayPal take your account down and you have to reboot with another one, cant use the same VAT number as it will cause a link.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmmbop For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018

also, i chatted to on of my friends in China, and they already have ways to evade paying a single penny to the HMRC, so it wont be long till they are all 'VAT' registered and barely paying a penny...so the circle will resume and the HRMC will target UK sellers as they are able to 'collect' from them easier...