Address Verification Process in the UK - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 12-24-2018

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 50%
Default Address Verification Process in the UK

A question to the UK experts:

(This is for a new ebay/paypal ‘Buyer Only’ account – NO selling)

Address Verification Process in the UK

In the UK, how precise is the address verification process used when creating a new ebay and paypal account in the UK? Does ebay and paypal use some type of UK residential address database to verify addresses?

Let’s take a few address writing examples:

• The first address below is the most usual way for it to be written
• The second address writing has had some bits left out e.g. ‘Place’ and ‘Woking’
• The third address writing has had some further bits left out e.g. the ‘s’ in Brooklands, ‘Place’ and ‘Woking’

(Writing 1)
88 Brooklands Place
Mayford
Woking
Surrey
GU458FG

(Writing 2)
88 Brooklands
Mayford
Surrey
GU458FG

(Writing 3)
88 Brookland
Mayford
Surrey
GU458FG

From a UK post office perspective all of the above writings of the address would not be a problem for receiving mail as it’s the house number and postcode that are the key information and for them the missing bits are just seen as writing typos.

However, from an ebay/paypal residential address verification process, would the second or third address writings create a verification problem when creating a new ebay/paypal account in the UK?

Important: the first address above was used for an ebay account that was permanently banned over 5 years ago. The funny thing is that at the time of the ebay account being banned, the associated paypay account was not affected and is still working fine to this day, for non-ebay payments – weird…

I don’t want the address to become a linking method for ebay/paypal and by tweaking its writing a bit may help avoid a linking.

Obviously my new ebay/paypal ‘Buyer Only’ account will have the following to minimise linking:

• New IP address
• New phone number
• New PC User Account
• New alternative spelling of my first name and surname

Thanks everyone for your help on the above & have a great stealthy Xmas!
UZ
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-03-2019
Threadstarter  

Default Re: Address Verification Process in the UK

Any clarification from anyone? (Sorry, this is my last hurdle to get over)

The UK residential address format - where the house has a number, is usually defined as follows:

1. Addressee's name
2. House number with thoroughfare (street)
3. Dependent Locality (large villages)
4. Post Town
5. Postcode

NOTE: The key important parts of information above needed by the UK post office for delivery is 2 and 5 above.
  • In the UK people can often have variances of their address where they may omit 3 and keep 4. Or they may omit 4 and only have 3. From the post offices perspective this does not cause a delivery issue.
  • Sometimes people may – through typo or laziness, drop the suffix of their street name e.g. 12 Forelands Close >> 12 Forelands. Again, from a post offices perspective this will not cause a delivery issue.

In the stealth guide is states that ebay/paypal has access to databases of residential addresses (United States Members) that is can access to check if the addresses is real. If this check fails, the ebay/paypal account won’t pass verification. (Is this ONLY a US issue?)

So, my burning question is, does UK ebay/paypal have the same type of address verification database check in the UK as they do in the US?? And if yes, how does it deal with the above variances in order to verify a UK address?

This is may last stumbling block to get clarified before getting my new (Buyer Only) account setup, so any clarification on this will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

UZ
Old 01-04-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Discussion was done here?

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-payp...avs-check.html
Old 01-04-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

You bacially just asking can I use a partial addresss? I think... it’s a very long post

If so that is fine for a buyers account
Old 01-06-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
You bacially just asking can I use a partial addresss? I think... it’s a very long post

If so that is fine for a buyers account
Yes exactly, and thank you James for your clarification.

Sorry for the long... post, I just needed to get to the nitty gritty detail as the stealth guide was a bit brief in its summary, which was not clear.

What I was struggling with (as stated in the guide) is related to the ‘residential address database’ that is used in the United States that checks the authenticity of the address a person enters into the ebay personal details section when setting up a new ebay account.

From the guide it looks as if the US has extra address checks in addition to the normal AVS CC address checks. My question was whether the UK also has this ‘extra’ address checking when you are simply adding your personal address details into a new ebay account?

Maybe I’ve got my wires totally crossed regards what the guide is saying…

UZ
Old 01-12-2019

Longevity: 30%

i have real adress you take from my..just helping
i m already using many uk accounts.