Possible return............ - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 04-29-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 68%
Question Possible return............

Recently sold a used item on my private ebay account.

Buyer messaged me and reported that it worked 2 or 3 times and then one part of the item went faulty. Its a dvd duplicator, one of the drives he reports went faulty.

He's demanding money back or to return the whole thing.

I hate people like that. Do they think used items have warranty or something?

Im wondering, as he's messaged me saying its working 2 or 3 times before one dvd drive went faulty, if he opens a return case, will this go in his favour still?

Im thinking it won't go in his favour as it wasn't delivered in a faulty state. But im guessing I need to call ebay after he opens a return case or it will go in his favour automatically.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-29-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Possible return............

97% chance it would be found in his favor regardless of if you call in or not. They expect you as the seller to take the item back and reimburse the buyer regardless of why the buyer is wanting to return an item or what condition it was originally delivered to the buyer in.

Credit card regulations say the buyer has 6 months to return the item regardless.
Old 04-29-2019

Longevity: 35%

Ye there is even a: changed my mind option when returning items.
Old 04-29-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
97% chance it would be found in his favor regardless of if you call in or not. They expect you as the seller to take the item back and reimburse the buyer regardless of why the buyer is wanting to return an item or what condition it was originally delivered to the buyer in.

Credit card regulations say the buyer has 6 months to return the item regardless.
Are you sure? because everything i've read points to them opening a "not as described" return case, which pretty much guarantees the seller will have to accept it back. He already sent me a message saying it worked fine 2 or 3 times and then it stopped. So this is a very unique case as most people don't message saying it was working and then stopped....
Old 04-29-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuzz View Post
Ye there is even a: changed my mind option when returning items.
But then it needs to be returned in its original working state and condition.
Old 04-29-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4G3D View Post
Are you sure? because everything i've read points to them opening a "not as described" return case, which pretty much guarantees the seller will have to accept it back. He already sent me a message saying it worked fine 2 or 3 times and then it stopped. So this is a very unique case as most people don't message saying it was working and then stopped....
I say eBay is most likely going to side with the buyer because of the credit card regulations they are bound by. eBay knows it's cheaper for them in the long run to allow the buyer's return now rather than having them start a chargeback with the CC company. I don't think you'll be able to get around the fact that buyers have the right to return items for 6 months for any reason they want.

If this were me I wouldn't even try fighting with the buyer because I know in the end he would win and I'd be making things worse for my account by arguing with them. I would start talking partial refund since the buyer got some use out of the item and potentially broke it himself. But I woudln't just say "no I'm not going to take it back".. because the buyer can send it back regardless for 180 days.
Old 04-29-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I say eBay is most likely going to side with the buyer because of the credit card regulations they are bound by. eBay knows it's cheaper for them in the long run to allow the buyer's return now rather than having them start a chargeback with the CC company. I don't think you'll be able to get around the fact that buyers have the right to return items for 6 months for any reason they want.

If this were me I wouldn't even try fighting with the buyer because I know in the end he would win and I'd be making things worse for my account by arguing with them. I would start talking partial refund since the buyer got some use out of the item and potentially broke it himself. But I woudln't just say "no I'm not going to take it back".. because the buyer can send it back regardless for 180 days.
Fair enough, but their partial refund they are asking for is a lot more than the cost of another one of these drives.

So I will have to try resolve it with him.

I think you are wrong about ebay siding with buyers often. I have lost a few cases as a buyer. Unless im just bad luck on legs.
Old 04-29-2019

Longevity: 34%

Idk man, what if you bought a used car from a dealership and it broke down on the third time out. I'd be POd.
Old 04-29-2019

Buying cars with credit - I wish haha !
Old 04-29-2019

Quote:
Wait.. are you being sarcastic?
Have to make some kind of down payment. Idk, maybe some dealerships will trust 800 ish credit score more.
Old 04-29-2019

Afaik used items with no returns accepted are returnable if not as described under PPs return period so that's kind of a warranty. Used implies working :/

Edit: Unless he broke it. I've returned stuff I broke... lol

Last edited by Sunspot144; 04-29-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot144 View Post
Idk man, what if you bought a used car from a dealership and it broke down on the third time out. I'd be POd.
Dealers here have to give warranty with used cars.

Thats a totally different sector there.

PLUS they are a company. Big difference compared to private seller which is selling their own used goods.
Old 04-29-2019
Threadstarter  

Update, he now reports something else failed and is demanding more money.

I guess I will get him to return it. Either he's scamming or incredibly unlucky. I had this item for 6 years without trouble. He has it for 1 week and its all apparently failing.
Old 04-30-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

you said it was a dvd duplicator. It is possbile that the customer used the product for doing all their dvds and now wants a return, only way to get it is to do a SNAD.

I know someone that does their occasional DIY jobs this way, gets an expensive drill, carpet cleaner - uses it, returns...

basically customers know that if it got used, the way to get their money back even for change of mind is to say faulty. What is worse is when they deliberately damage it.
Old 04-30-2019

Activity: 11%
Longevity: 41%

With high value items I just accept a return immediately. The longer they have it in their hands, the more it will be used. I accept it back, get them to still leave me positive feedback ... essentially beg for their forgiveness and make them feel on top of the world. Re-list for a bit more money to make back any losses. Report them to ebay for abuse (if they continue doing it they will be indefinitely suspended and find themselves on this board in due course).

But the item has to be popular and desireable in the first place for that to work obviously ... not sure how long it took you to find a buyer for the DVD Duplicator.
The Following User Says Thank You to james_112233 For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (04-30-2019)