Is using a virtual machine still ok? - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 03-18-2020
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 57%
Default Re: Is using a virtual machine still ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davfos View Post
Looking to move to virtual machines and wanted to know if this is still OK,
VMs will always be OK. There are millions of legitimate instances of VMs running, so it is unlikely that eBay, PayPal or Amazon disapprove of VMs.

Quote:
I will be wanting to access my accounts from aboard and I can use remote desktop for my pc and then simply open the virtual machines to access the accounts - something that would be impossible using user accounts.
It is possible with user accounts or VMs. There are multiple ways to accomplish it. Your IP solution will determine this.

Quote:
I have one issue, I will be using the wifi connection for remote access, but I have several dongles that I want to use directly on the virtual machines, does anyone know how to step the VM so it only uses a dongle instead of the wifi connection?
Vmware Player, Esxi and VirtualBox all make it challenging to accomplish that, but you can do so using most Linux based (Type 1 Hypervisor) VM solution like Proxmox for example.

Quote:
I have several dongles and I would love to be able to use the different dongles for different accounts/vm and then be able to turn off and back on again to change the IP address (allowing me to also create accounts while away).
Option 1
If you use a type I Hypervisor (Esxi, Proxmox) one easy way to accomplish this would be to get static IPs from your ISP and then bind them to each VM by MAC address. You'd still have dynamic IPs to create stealth accounts so this is the most straight-forward, set and forget option.
Option 2
If you must use your mobile internet connection, you stick the sims into MiFi devices instead and then connect these to WIFI extenders that have LAN ports, then run the cables into your PC's LAN port. Unfortunately, you'd need a LAN port for each connection.
Option 3
Finally, you can plug all your dongles into a USB 3.0 extension, plug this into your Type I Hypervisor, then use a feature called "passthrough" to dedicate each USB device to a VM of your choice.

If you use a Type II Hypervisor (VmwarePlayer, VirtualBox, etc.)
Option 1 above may be available to you, but Option 2 is guaranteed to work.

Quote:
Also, is it possible to create master VM loaded with all the basic details and browsers, then simply clone them for new accounts?
Good idea.
You should make a master VM to speed up things but don't include browser or fonts. In short, don't add anything that can be harvested by eBay / PayPal as you do not want identical VMs

I recommend windows 7 and if you must, Windows 10 as master VMs.

Just install Windows 7, drivers, settings ( turn off updates and notifications, sort out activation) then save it as your master image.
For Windows 10, you'd need at least 1 hour after installation to get rid of all the useless junk and telemetry. You can save it as a master image when you're done.

It might be helpful to install another VM to act as a sort of server to share resources. This can hold your font pack, browsers, preferences files, and any other tools that you use to spawn an instance of new VMs. You can share this folder with your master VM before you save it so that all successive VMs have one-click access to the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras_box Useful information, tools and links:

Windows 7 ISO:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180818...ercontent.net/

These are the original images from MS. Nothing illegal about these. You still need a license from MS.
------------------------------------------

Windows 10 ISO:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

------------------------------------------

Get rid of windows 10 telemetry:

Windows 10 slimming:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/how-...perfast.91924/

How to make windows 10 run fast:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/how-...perfast.91924/

How to make Windows 10 look like windows 7:
https://www.partitionwizard.com/clon...ows-7-022.html
----------------------------------

Browser Downloads:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
https://commondatastorage.googleapis...ots/index.html
https://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/
----------------------------------

Ban Browser updates:
1. Firefox: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox find "update" and delete all 3 files. 2. about:config "app.update.service.enabled" = false

Opera:
1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\YourBrowserVersion\
delete all 3 opera_autoupdate files.

2. Click start --> run type "task" and start the task scheduler. Go to Task Scheduler Library within the left sidebar. Select Opera Scheduled Autoupdate task and delete it.
---------------------------------

Block WebGL:
1. You can use uBlock Origin add-on to block WebGL, but I'd rather you use something that you have complete control over. Besides, you don't want all your VMs to have one single add-on across all of them.

2. Firefox: about:config find “webgl.disabled” change value to "true"

2. Opera: Right-click on opera icon on your desktop, click on properties then clear the contents of the "target" field and then paste the following command inside the target field: C:\Users\Windows\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\laun cher.exe --disable-webgl

Test it here: https://browserleaks.com/webgl
---------------------------------------

Block WebRTC

1. Firefox: about:config "media.peerconnection.enabled"

1. Opera: opera:config -> Advanced -->scroll down. Block WebRTC by selecting "Disable non-proxied UDP"

Test it here: https://browserleaks.com/webrtc
-----------------------------------------

Font Download:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=15m3u...xport=download

And
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1xAAx...xport=download

You'd need to randomly select a number of fonts for each VM.

Test your font fingerprint here: https://browserleaks.com/fonts
-------------------------------------------

Other things to consider:

1. Consider disabling hibernation to save space.

2. If possible, use a RAID (Mirror) so that if you lose a hard drive, you can just plug in another without much downtime and carry on your daily operation. Make a back-up of all VM instances too. You don't want a VM closing shop on you when you have a business to run.

-------------------------------------------
Disclaimer:
The information above is for educational purposes only.
Please familiarise yourself with the tools, settings and links above before you use them. It is best to use your preferred tools, settings and links that you can trust.

Depending on your browser and OS version, most of the settings above might be broken or just plain wrong. Please post updates and corrections to the thread.

I hope you find something useful.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pandoras_box For This Useful Post:
AlvisL (03-27-2020), Doctor453 (03-30-2020), greenlaurel (03-18-2020), Hooli (06-22-2020), johnniedoehe (11-19-2020), netter (03-18-2020), robjobs (05-22-2023), rsot (03-27-2020), TimTimmington (05-25-2020)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-18-2020
Banned

Longevity: 81%

i didnt comment on this further as i asked for instructions on how to setup an undetectable vm and got no response so i assumed it was a secret or that they work for ebay or something and know there detection techniques, ALL vms can be detected because they will have a unique profile usually cpu fingerprinting, if you disable javascript or webgl e.t.c you are painting a flag on yourself, 99 percent of all browsers, even mobile have webgl enabled, better to spoof it than to block it. what i said was, i dont think they are looking for it..once the account is in good standing i dont think they really check anything other than heuristics, but it stands there they definatley COULD check for vms if they wanted. and there is no way to know if they are unless you work for ebay!
Old 03-19-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

I don't think it is a secret and no one here that I know of works for eBay. One or two conspiracy theorist abounds; these theorists are not people you can trust to tell you the time in a room full of clocks.
Why would eBay plant people and pay them wages when they can just purchase the forum and kill it?

As regards making an undetectable VM. I suppose it would be extremely difficult as there are just too many ways to programmatically tell when someone is using a VM.

Furthermore, there isn't a fool-proof way to spoof GPU drivers yet, and without these, your canvas fingerprint will fall into a specific range and therefore, exposing your use of a VM.

In my opinion, accomplishing this will be so tricky that the cost and effort will outweigh the benefits. eBay isn't chasing up anyone for using VMs - at least not at the moment. I do not foresee that in the future either as there are many legitimate users, especially big companies selling on eBay / amazon. I imagine these companies must use containers for their staffs in place of VMs or bare-metal installation to conserve resources.

Javascript can only tell you how many CPU cores you have and a bit of manufacturer information but never enough to draw a complete picture.
In our case, we "passthrough" the CPU on our motherboard directly to the VM so JavaScript can fiddle with that if it likes.

You shouldn't disable JavaScript as this will break a lot of things.
We've disabled WebGL, WebRTC and Geolocation. These haven't caused any problems for us yet not even with multiple high profile accounts.

Spoofing WebGL or Canvas is not just a bad idea, it's terrible.

Last edited by Pandoras_box; 03-19-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2020

Longevity: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlaurel View Post
"WebGL and WebRT" How do we configure this?
for the webRTC disabling do this
in firefox config page
about:config
search for media.peerconnection.enabled
this will be "true"
double click on it to be false
this way it will be disabled
close the browser and reopen it before using it again
Old 03-24-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estarossa View Post
Yes virtual machines are fine, if for example you have windows 7 installed on your VM, you can clone it each time you want to make a new account, just be sure that you go into about:config and disable WebGL and WebRTC and also reset UserAgent and you should be good to go. I have this exact same setup using mobile data. You can change the network to whatever you want so the virtual machine will only use that connection and no other. Simply right click the VM in virtualbox or any other VM software and navigate to "Network" and you can change the network adapter e.g. home connection to lets say for example Samsung or anything. Mobile Data is just as good if not better for Ebay, i recommend it and it's really effective due to the new IP you can generate in a few seconds.

1. Create original VM and install mozilla on it
2. Everytime you want to make new ebay/pp acc, right click and "Full Clone" the original
3. Be sure to reset useragent/disable webgl/disable webrtc before you visit any sites (All can be done by typing about:config in firefox)
I personally torrented a cracked windows 7 since i did not want to pay for it, but the choice is yours.

Not sure if i got this right but you want to remotely access your computer and have the virtual machine use the dongle instead of the connection you're using to remotely access the computer? should be doable, just have to make sure the VM's network settings are connected to the dongle which only takes a second to double check before you click start on the VM as i explained above. Although if you're abroad and you want to use your accounts, the dongles will have to be connected 24/7 unless you have a family member/someone else physically insert the dongles into the PC.
for the webgl part , i think its not a good idea if you want to create ebay account ,
every time i disable it i get stuck in a loop in ebay java test page , and never go through ,
Old 03-24-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estarossa View Post
Open mozilla
Type "about:config" and press enter > accept the "risks"
Now search in the bar these three things one by one.
useragent (Right click the one with a bunch of random numbers and click "Reset")
webgl.disabled (double click the value field so it changes to "True")
media.peerconnection.enabled (Double click the value field and make sure it says "False")
That should be about it guys, next time please atleast do a google search guys, so many articles/websites explaining how to disable these things in firefox.
Yes i'm using normal browsers, however my original vm has mozilla installed so when i clone that vm for new ebay accs, the files get cloned too including the mozilla that was installed but never used. The disabling of those three things is necessary to make sure nothing leaks to ebay, only takes a minute.
can i ask you what vm you use ?
i use vmware 15 . but i get bad results always if i create new account ,
for normal daily use i didn face a problem , since the account have been created before , and it doesnt need to do the cookie building any more
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Anyone that use a similar set up can advise if this will work fine?

I also read on here that they can now see if it is a virtual machine and this may cause suspensions.

I cant find a way to switch user accounts using remote desktop, is this possible?
my experience with vmware 15.5 is that every time i create a new account it gets suspended , im still doing the tests needed to verify if its 100% sure to be the reason for suspention , because there migh be other factors too , i think may be the IPBurger browser extention might be detrected , and they dont like it , but still needs to be confirmed .
any way , soon i will be posting my new tests results
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by assi6666 View Post
it works well and it's proven several times
can you confirm when was the last time you tested it , because i believe their might have been some changes to their system lately and its detecting it

, my own experience with vm isnt too bad , but not as i hoped ,
when i use vm to run an a account that have been created before by other methods and didn't get suspended , if i run this account on firefox on the vm , it workks fine , as long as i disable webrtc in firefox , without using any browser extensions ,

but i still dont get any working account if i create it on my vmware windows, it gets suspended always
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
I can 100% guarantee that even if they tried they would not be able to detect that I'm operating multiple accounts via virtual machines.
i think it is possible if you use different fingerprint for each account , different ip , and different windows version on each vm
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor453 View Post
Agreed it's best to have a unique fingerprint and not disabling anything but if you have to do it then you can do it this way. Thanks for the webgl info, i think i have a way to make it so a website cannot detect if you're using VM, need to test it but i used to use it to play games in VM that had vm disabled. Alternatively maybe there is some way to ⊗⊗⊗⊗/spoof webgl to display something else instead of disabling it. Also, are you simply cloning original virtual machine everytime you want to make new ebay/pp account or doing it some other way? I haven't checked but i've assumed if i clone my original VM that has only mozilla installed but never used, then it should be fine if i reset the useragent and disable the other things. The WebGL i will stop disabling and try something else though.
actually i do fresh install every time , i never clone , since i still need to figure out the problem ,
there is some thing new in my tests , i started to figure out something , i will post it soon once i get it finished
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacier922 View Post
Is webgl the sole culprit ? How do you disable it in Firefox ?
webgl seems to be the most uniqe hash ID you get of your pc , that is always the same even if you changed your windows user , or the browser user , so i think they now rely a lot on it to detect if you are running multiple accounts on the same pc ,
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by netter View Post
Althrough this is a bit technical, I highly recommend the following research paper written by Google engineers: https://storage.googleapis.com/pub-t.../pdf/45581.pdf

"In this work we present Picasso: a lightweight device class fingerprinting protocol that allows a server to verify the software and hardware stack of a mobile or desktop client. As an example, Picasso can distinguish between traffic sent by an authentic iPhone running Safari on iOS from an emulator or desktop client spoofing the same configuration."

They are not checking your IP, geolocation etc, only 2D/3D drawing techniques involved. This is what they use (beside other things) to determine whether you have to fill out ReCaptcha or not. By the way I have changed from VMs to virtual profiles because of the high resource usage and it took too much time to change between profiles, and I still have all of my eBay accounts.
thanks a lot , this is very useful info ,
what type of virtual profiles you use ? multilogin?

actually the ip thing you spoke about is true , i had a funny result while testing last week , i created some UK accounts on indonesian ip , with help of a friend , and the funny thing the account didnt get suspended , the ip was Residential IP , just the home internet of my friend ,

any way the account got suspended on first listing due to a mistake , just a weak later ,lol
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
I do

My VMs ( plural) cannot be linked.

To many on this forum don’t know what they’re talking about so decide to call out those that do. Now that’s folly.
well , you seem to have good knowledge about this , why not share some , many here can benefit from it , and it wont hurt you if you share it
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras_box View Post
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
very true , lol

Last edited by dazller_the_great; 03-25-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by netter View Post
I was referring to antidetect browsers like Linken Sphere or Kameleo.
i see , did you use it for creating accounts , or just operating them ?
Old 03-25-2020

Quote:
VMs will always be OK. There are millions of legitimate instances of VMs running, so it is unlikely that eBay, PayPal or Amazon disapprove of VMs.
i hope so , but i think that probably they start lately to have a different opinion about it , since they try their best to clean up all the sellers from ebay that is not a normal user selling his old shoes from his home,
you know the Residential IP thing , they dont like all ip's from datacenters , i had a horrible experience of ip's from proxies or VPN's i create on amazon aws

i hope im wrong abou the vm thing , any way , we will keep working on it till we find out
Old 03-27-2020

Quote:
I don't think it is a secret and no one here that I know of works for eBay. One or two conspiracy theorist abounds; these theorists are not people you can trust to tell you the time in a room full of clocks.
Why would eBay plant people and pay them wages when they can just purchase the forum and kill it?

As regards making an undetectable VM. I suppose it would be extremely difficult as there are just too many ways to programmatically tell when someone is using a VM.

Furthermore, there isn't a fool-proof way to spoof GPU drivers yet, and without these, your canvas fingerprint will fall into a specific range and therefore, exposing your use of a VM.

In my opinion, accomplishing this will be so tricky that the cost and effort will outweigh the benefits. eBay isn't chasing up anyone for using VMs - at least not at the moment. I do not foresee that in the future either as there are many legitimate users, especially big companies selling on eBay / amazon. I imagine these companies must use containers for their staffs in place of VMs or bare-metal installation to conserve resources.

Javascript can only tell you how many CPU cores you have and a bit of manufacturer information but never enough to draw a complete picture.
In our case, we "passthrough" the CPU on our motherboard directly to the VM so JavaScript can fiddle with that if it likes.

We've disabled WebGL, WebRTC and Geolocation. These haven't caused any problems for us yet not even with multiple high profile accounts.

thanks for the info , it really helped , and i totally agree that spoofing canvas and webgl is always a bad idea , it caused all accounts i created using spoofing tools of all kinds , all of them was suspended ,
Old 03-27-2020
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 24%
Send a message via Skype™ to DigiCambio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazller_the_great View Post
my experience with vmware 15.5 is that every time i create a new account it gets suspended , im still doing the tests needed to verify if its 100% sure to be the reason for suspention , because there migh be other factors too , i think may be the IPBurger browser extention might be detrected , and they dont like it , but still needs to be confirmed .
any way , soon i will be posting my new tests results

Have you had the same result with different source of IP other than IPBurger ? you may test with Residential IP address from your own country to find out if the issue is from VM side or IP
The Following User Says Thank You to DigiCambio For This Useful Post:
dazller_the_great (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCambio View Post
Have you had the same result with different source of IP other than IPBurger ? you may test with Residential IP address from your own country to find out if the issue is from VM side or IP
i did some tests lately , and i started to get better results , the vm i used have many flaws ,it needed some manual fixing , after doing that i started getting better results while using mobile internet with local Fresh IP every time ,
i think it was on both sides , the ip and the vm ,
i will post soon my testing results ,hopefully it can help others too
Old 06-07-2020
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 22%

Quote:

What strategy are you using than?
if you don't mind to share.
Old 10-04-2020

Longevity: 27%

Why is it not possible to go to page 3?
Old 10-05-2020

Longevity: 30%

In my vm everytime i do the automatic payment method and choose paypal when creating an account i get an error and return back to merchant.

Can someone help?