Buyer claiming item not received wants refund - Ebay postage used!! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 05-13-2020
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 93%
Default Buyer claiming item not received wants refund - Ebay postage used!!

Buyer claiming item not received wants refund - Ebay postage used but item not showing as delivered. Buyer sent this

'I bought this item 16 days ago and it still hasn't arrived. There is no tracking info on royal mail when I put tracking ref in. This simply isn't good enough and I want a refund'

Shall I refund the buyer or check through the post office receipts trying to find the postcode and then contact royal mail?

Or shall I send a replacement or just issue a refund?

Item are cheap but sold for £28 with postage so it will work out costly for me to refund instead of sending a replacement

Can I claim of royal mail?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-13-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%
Default Re: Buyer claiming item not received wants refund - Ebay postage used!!

More info required please. I assume it will have the 2D tracking and not signed for? If it's 2D the postie SHOULD scan on delivery. Sometimes they don't. There is no other tracking on this way of sending. It only gets scanned on delivery, nowhere else at any other point in it's journey.

Will the package fit through a letterbox? If not then it may be at the delivery depot waiting for the customer to either collect or get it re-delivered. They should have been carded, again it may not have been.

You can call the local delivery office with the name address and postcode along with a description of the packaging and contents and they can check if they have it held there.

If it does not show as delivered, then you can make a claim. It used to be after 15 working days AFTER the expected delivery date.

It will be difficult to defend a case if it does not show as delivered, The buyer may know this and checked the tracking hoping for a freebie.
The Following User Says Thank You to LOMBOK For This Useful Post:
tmastermind (05-14-2020)
Old 05-13-2020
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
Did he open a case?
Yes case opened
Old 05-13-2020
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOMBOK View Post
More info required please. I assume it will have the 2D tracking and not signed for? If it's 2D the postie SHOULD scan on delivery. Sometimes they don't. There is no other tracking on this way of sending. It only gets scanned on delivery, nowhere else at any other point in it's journey.

Will the package fit through a letterbox? If not then it may be at the delivery depot waiting for the customer to either collect or get it re-delivered. They should have been carded, again it may not have been.

You can call the local delivery office with the name address and postcode along with a description of the packaging and contents and they can check if they have it held there.

If it does not show as delivered, then you can make a claim. It used to be after 15 working days AFTER the expected delivery date.

It will be difficult to defend a case if it does not show as delivered, The buyer may know this and checked the tracking hoping for a freebie.
Nothing showing as being delivered on Ebay or Royal Mail tracking
What’s method to out claim in?
Old 05-13-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

Don't let ebay decide in his favour. Apologise to the buyer for it not being delivered yet. I wouldn't ask him to check his delivery office or neighbours as this will make him even more disgruntled. Using his postcode, check which is his delivery office and call them. Tell you buyer you are doing this for him. If they haven't got it, your option is to refund yourself or let ebay do it and get a strike. It sounds like he does not want to wait any longer, nor want a replacement for whatever reason.
Old 05-13-2020
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 23%
Longevity: 54%

If ebay postage is used and on tracking it shows that you sent the item ebay is responsible for that and case will be closed and refund will be issued without any impact on you
Old 05-13-2020
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2free View Post
If ebay postage is used and on tracking it shows that you sent the item ebay is responsible for that and case will be closed and refund will be issued without any impact on you
So just let it run it’s course let eBay do the refund then?
Old 05-13-2020

Longevity: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
So just let it run it’s course let eBay do the refund then?
I would highly suggest NOT to do this. The tracking on the parcel you're referring to, is this 'actual' tracking or is this just delivery confirmation? If its proper tracking and you can see its en-route or is at the depot ready to be collected, ebay will settle the case in your favour with no hard feelings. If on the other hand your parcel just has the delivery confirmation, nothing will be shown on the Royal Mail tracking until it's delivered. If for whatever reason it doesn't get delivered you essentially have no proof of postage (as far as ebay are concerned) and they'll decide the case in the buyers favour, which will reflect badly on your account. I personally would refund the buyer/send them a replacement and then claim your losses with Royal Mail.

Don't listen to these other donkeys, half of them don't know what they're talking about.
Old 05-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
You can either believe the noobs like the one above this or you can believe the old donkeys, me and e2free.
I would love to hear how you think this scenario wouldn't have a negative affect on the OP's eBay account. Enlighten me...
Old 05-14-2020
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I’ll go with tinsoldier always offered excellent advice and e2free
Old 05-14-2020

Quote:
I'm always willing to educate a noob, it's one of the perks of being a donkey rather than an ass.

Firstly I speak as a well traveled donkey who has had more than my fair share of cases opened against me so I speak from experience, something that may come to you too given time.

Secondly, if you take the time to go and read ebays Seller Protection promise regards to postage purchased via them and the QR code duly scanned at the Post Office then you will see that you do not get a metrics strike against your account. In certain circumstances they will even automatically remove any negative or neutral feedback left without even having to apply for a manual review.

If you'd bothered to read your recent ebay announcements they've even confirmed that the parameters for Seller Protection have been extended during the current crisis.

I'd give you links to Seller Protection policy and the recent announcement but I think it would be good for you to try and find it for yourself. Give me a shout if you struggle and I'll help you out yet again.

But I will share the last line of the announcement for you.....

"We want to reassure you that the evaluation of your Seller Performance Standards level will not be affected by events beyond your control. "

You've a lot of swatting up to do, so in the words of that well knows toy manufacturer Hasbro, 'run along there's lots to see, run along my little pony'

So I repeat to OP, you can either believe me and e2free or the noob above.

feedback will be automatically removed for transactions between 1 March to 31 May 2020. We will remove it on the condition that you uploaded valid tracking. The following conditions also apply:
The item was delivered within 10 days of the estimated delivery date if both seller and buyer are in the same country.

What kinds of defects can be removed, and how?

We automatically remove defects in certain situations, including where we find the buyer was at fault, if the problem was caused by an eBay site issue, or if there was an issue outside of your control like shipping service delays, or items being delayed because of an extreme weather event.

I'm still baffled by your claims, but I guess the OP has a decision to make. Why talk the chance and let ebay resolve the issue, take the initiative and do it yourself.
Old 05-14-2020
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Buyer has just sent this message on ebay '"No need I would prefer a refund please. Take the issue of postage up with royal mail yourself. Refund thanks"

In response to me asking if they want replacement
View tracking on ebay is only showing 'dispatched' and in transmit, out for delivery and estimated delivery 6 May is all greyed out and blank

So looks like either the buyer got the package and is wanting money back as well or the package is lost?
Old 05-14-2020

Quote:
Buyer has just sent this message on ebay '"No need I would prefer a refund please. Take the issue of postage up with royal mail yourself. Refund thanks"

View tracking on ebay is only showing 'dispatched' and in transmit, out for delivery and estimated delivery 6 May is all greyed out and blank

So looks like either the buyer got the package and is wanting money back as well or the package is lost?
I thought you were taking Tinsoldier's advice?

Both scenarios are possible, after 16 days I would imagine the package isn't delayed but lost. If I were you I would bite the bullet, refund the buyer and claim your losses back with Royal Mail and move on. Or of course, you could take that plonkers advice and let eBay deal with it and face the possible consequences. The decision is yours...
Old 05-14-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 29%

Quote:

To be honest Lucy, if it was me, I would take the hit and wipe my mouth on it

But it's not me, it's your money and your decision but it appears the customer (or maybe scammer) has already made up their mind - get out from under in the best way you can

Good luck with it
Old 05-14-2020

Quote:
I know what the wording says, but what we don't know is the 'estimated delivery date'.

That includes handling times (can be set at 30 days) and the delivery timescale of the carrier (lets say 4 days). It could be a over month from purchase plus the 10 days grace.

That's why you don't refund, that's why you don't send a replacement, coupled with Seller Protection Policy that's why you need not be baffled.

In any event, feedback is close to irrelevant, all you need to worry about is your metrics. OP will be fine if they allow ebay to refund if they deem it necessary.
Stop beating around the bush, in all seriousness, we both know the OP didn't set her dispatch time to 30 days! Crawl back into your hole and admit (despite being an old donkey) you don't really know what you're talking about.
Old 05-14-2020
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Take the plonkers advice, offer your apologies for Royal Mails failure and tell them ebay will issue a full refund in due course.

If the buyer had their whits about them they'd have taken your offer of a replacement, I sense a refund is on its way anyway and you wouldn't have been able to stop it even if you'd replaced, the package could genuinely be lost or RM have F'd up with delivery.
I agree, the buyer has opened a case and a refund as you say is on its way. I'll do as you say send that message, see if if they reply
Old 05-14-2020

Quote:
Sigh...I was giving an extreme example, I can't believe you didn't see that, but it has helped clarify your capabilities. So what were OP's dispatch times and delivery choice timescales nostradamus?

But I do like your advice to crawl back under my stone because I don't know what I'm talking about, the irony is so delicious I can almost taste it.
Regardless of the dispatch time and courier delivery times, it's obviously below the 16 days since the buyer made the purchase numb nuts. Good luck OP
Old 05-14-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 64%

Well I’m only going to say from my own personal experiences on this but generally I agree with e2 and tinsoldier on this

I have, and will continue to use recorded signed for service (I only just learned about this QR code stuff so looking more into it) for the reason that in all cases when a delivery has supposedly not arrived, scam or legit, the service always always allow me to locate the item in the delivery network, resolve most issues before a case is logged and in the cases of those a logging one for a freebie and escalated it to eBay straight after the 3 days. Ebay has, inevery case, sided with me because of the tracking info.

My account stays safe, I don’t lose any money. Jobs a goodun
Old 05-14-2020
Executive [VIP]

Wow life has not been good to you has it tin? I wonder what eBay/AMZ did you you to make you come into this forum with so much hate and poison. Even when someone agrees with you on process you have to retaliate
The Following User Says Thank You to tmastermind For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020
Executive [VIP]

Oh I’m sorry I didn’t realise you was being sarcastic, my apologies.... ��
Old 05-14-2020
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Once Ebay do the refund themselves, will Ebay then refund me for loss of the item or is that a seperate claim to do?
Old 05-14-2020
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmastermind View Post
Well I’m only going to say from my own personal experiences on this but generally I agree with e2 and tinsoldier on this

I have, and will continue to use recorded signed for service (I only just learned about this QR code stuff so looking more into it) for the reason that in all cases when a delivery has supposedly not arrived, scam or legit, the service always always allow me to locate the item in the delivery network, resolve most issues before a case is logged and in the cases of those a logging one for a freebie and escalated it to eBay straight after the 3 days. Ebay has, inevery case, sided with me because of the tracking info.

My account stays safe, I don’t lose any money. Jobs a goodun
if the item your selling is less than £10 but the recorded signed for service is costing you £3.95 thats eating into your profit, plus ebay/paypal fees, thats a big hit

They should be a cheaper way to send signed for small/medium parcels with tracking

Safest way is to use recorded signed for as buyers seem to be saying items never arrived, least your covered with the tracking