accepting returns - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 07-26-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 83%
Default accepting returns

Recently I have been getting alot of returns, people saying items do not fit etc. The thing is all items are listed with sizes etc.
Today someone wanted to return something because "My husband does not suit the item"
was ready to go on a defensive and tell them to go **** themselves, however I have got to the point at the moment,, where i just accept the return.
Want to know what other peoples threshold and cut off point is? When do you say NO, sorry, we wont accept that as a reason for a return?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-26-2010

Longevity: 80%

It's very annoying, but if they make a dispute, your going to have to refund anyway. So you just have to accept it...part and parcel of eBay/Online selling nowadays!
Old 07-26-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by meVebay View Post
It's very annoying, but if they make a dispute, your going to have to refund anyway. So you just have to accept it...part and parcel of eBay/Online selling nowadays!

Well not entirely true what you say , is it? Sellers are well within their rights to not accept a return, as far as I was aware, so do not have to accept a return, although I do accept returns, I find such things as " its not to my husbands liking" not enough to warrant a return. Why? well for a start its not my fault your husband doesnt like the item, secondly, the item is listed with a full description and photo, if you thought that your husband might have had an issue , you should have showed him the listing.
There are plenty of other reasons but my response was mainly to your statement which I find almost as bad as the reason why the person want to return the item. None the less, thank you for the response.
Old 07-26-2010

Longevity: 79%

I only accept returns for exchange never refund .

regards the 7 day thing - all item that are going to be returned must be unopened in its original packaging and then the return is only for a credit note sometimes i get a Little generous and take the item back with a 20% restocking, admin fee call it what you want , it can be a nice earner when its a expensive item .

i always seem to win the disputes in paypal for item not as described as paypal are only interested if the item reached them or not .

peronally if i was selling clothing - i would take exchanges for a larger size (regarless if it fits or not) or offer like for like and if thats not sutible give a credit note, that shows more than enough willingness to resolve the situation in most cases.

in the womans case . i would have let her open the dispute and uploaded the ebay/email message she sent you.

Last edited by Stigger; 07-26-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by meVebay View Post
All true and good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paypalpains View Post

Sellers are well within their rights to not accept a return, as far as I was aware, so do not have to accept a return
Sorry, but not in eBay - If a buyer is not happy, they are not happy. All that will happen here is negative feedback and eventually a refund anyway. People really seriously need to get "but I'm in the right" out of their heads if they want to sell on ebay. Period.

Ebay and PayPal are "one click claim" easy. Do you really think being right is going to help anything? Jesus, people can and have mailed back rocks and got a refund... If you want to sell on eBay, you have to take returns....

There are situations you can win for sure. But item not as described is a tuff hill to climb. It sucks, yes. Buyer is usually out to lunch, yes. Can you win sometimes, yes. Is it worth risking a neg, no. Its just easier to take it back and resell...
Old 07-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Actually, if the buyer would be dumb enough to open a dispute and tell them "my husband didn't like it" the seller MAY actually win.

Buyers Remorse is not a valid dispute accourding to eBay rules. Of course, most buyers would file it as item not as described, and that is a different story.
Old 07-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post

Of course, most buyers would file it as item not as described, and that is a different story.
Sadly one of the many problems with the way ebay is set up :(

eBay threw out buyer/seller equality years ago. It sucks big time, but a reality. The all powerful and crippling one-sided negative feedback....

They have given the term "buyers market" a whole new meaning

If you sell on eBay you are going to get screwed once in awhile. Hard fact of life. You can stand your ground and fight with a buyer and in the end it will just cost you money.

There are naturally some battles that need to be fought for sure. There are days when I just cant stand the customers. Their ideas of what's reasonable are absurd to say the very least. You cant just roll over on some things to be certain. *But you need to be prepared for the costs and you need to evaluate if that cost is worth the end game. If all you stand to lose is shipping costs count yourself lucky and move forward.
Old 07-28-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Usually people are quite persistant when it comes down to them wanting refunds. I always state that I will accept refund minus the postage costs (which is fair) and the buyer has to cover their costs.
Old 07-28-2010

Longevity: 84%

Usually it doesn't matter if you want to give a refund or not they're gonna get it either way by filing a dispute, unless you do something out of the ordinary like crack a joke or have exceptional customer service skills then that will sometimes be enough to keep them from filing a dispute.