Paypal limitation ruins ebay account - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 05-10-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 75%
Default Paypal limitation ruins ebay account

Hello All.

Might i start by thanking you all in advance for any help or advice you might be able to offer us in this darkest of times for me, and my eBay business.

I must apologise for the volume of this post but understandably, when considering the position we find ourselves in, i feel it important to tell my story as clearly, comprehensively and accurately as possible, so we might benefit from all of the experience and expertise i believe there to be on this site.

Bearing in mind the trauma i have experienced in recent days, i will apologise now for any important information/detail i might have neglected to include but, should any further info be required, i will add it upon request.

About 3 years ago, i turned a hobby of mine into a business by selling used furniture through eBay and, through a lot of hard work, effort and luck, managed to develop this 1-man enterprise into an eBay business turning over £000,000's through a top-rated eBay shop. A real-life eBay success story. At the risk of sounding cheesy, it totally changed my life. I could provide for my family like never before and, more importantly, was able to involve and employ some old friends of mine who had fallen on difficult times, changing their lives for the better too. It was amazing. Understandably, i was the biggest eBay and Paypal fan you could find.

Until about 10 days ago.

Our modest success had led to us starting to sell our furniture internationally, as well as in the UK, through eBay and, most recently, we had sold a sofa to a gentleman in the South of France for £2000, for which he paid through Paypal. Courier (delivery) issues meant there was a delay in shipping this piece down to him as promptly as we would have hoped and, despite being in regular contact with him regarding this delay, he decided (without our knowledge) to open a Paypal dispute to register this fact.

Almost immediately he did this, we received the following message from Paypal.

"We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to
work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your
account until the issue is resolved.

We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal
account. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal as
quickly as possible.

What's the problem?

For reasons relating to the safe use of the PayPal service we need some
more information about some of your recent eBay and PayPal activity."

Naturally, i was alarmed. Up until this point, we had always enjoyed a trouble-free relationship with Paypal, processing between £1000 and £5000 of payments through our fully-verified business account a month (we also have a dedicated merchant account with our bank, through which we captured the majority of payments directly from our clients). These payments ranged from a couple of hundred £'s for modest, basic pieces of furniture, up to several thousand £'s for more rare, collectable pieces but, in the 3 years we had operated this Paypal account, we had not encountered a single issue/problem, until now.

Almost immediately this Paypal message arrived, the following message landed from eBay.

"We have limited your eBay account as a precaution because our review of your account has identified an issue regarding its safe use.

As part of our efforts to provide a safe and secure environment for the online community, we regularly screen account activity. We never share exactly what gave us reason to place limitations on an account as this information could assist an individual, who may present a safety risk, avoid such limitations.

Please understand we're not accusing you of dishonest behaviour. Our top priority is to keep our online community safe, which is why we'd like to ask you for some further information.

If, once we review your further information, we're confident that the use of your account does not present a safety risk to our service and customers, we'll be happy to reinstate your account.

Here's what you need to do to resolve the limitations:

1. Log into your PayPal account.
2. Click on the 'Account' tab.
3. Click on the sub-tab 'Resolution Centre'.
4. Go to the 'Action' column.
5. Click on the 'Resolve' button to view the requirements and follow the instructions provided.

After we have gathered the necessary information, we'll review your account and notify you by email of our decision.

Please note that any selling fees owed to eBay may become due and payable

We thank you for your prompt attention to this important matter.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

H41380"

I was stunned. Within the space of 15 minutes, our thriving, relatively long-standing eBay business had been stopped in its tracks.

In a state of mild panic, i followed all steps required without delay, providing both eBay and Paypal with all the information and documentary evidence requested, and took the action of refunding the whole of the £2000 Paypal payment back to the French client in order to resolve the outstanding dispute (against his wishes, as he was desperate to secure this rare, collectable piece) in the hope that this would restore the situation back to normality without further, undue delay.

I was reassured that this had been the correct course of action when the following message arrived from Paypal.

"xxxxxx xxxxxxxx has closed this dispute.

Thank you for working with your buyer to resolve their concern. We hope
you found the PayPal dispute resolution process to be helpful as you worked
toward an agreement.

Any funds associated with this payment that may have been considered
'Disputed' are now available for withdrawal.

Thank you,

PayPal"

However, far from this being the case, the following message from Paypal arrived shortly afterwards.

"To protect all members of our online community, we must part ways with you.
We've reviewed your PayPal account and determined there is excessive risk
involved in doing business with you. To minimize the disruption to your
business, you can continue to log in to your account for the next 180 days.

If you have a negative balance, please add money to your PayPal account. If
you choose not to add money and bring your balance to at least zero, we
reserve the right to collect the money through legal means.

Please go to the Resolution Center to resolve any outstanding buyer
complaints or chargebacks. If you would like to refund any of your buyers,
reply to this email with the transaction details. We'll send a refund on
your behalf using money from your PayPal balance.

Here's how to view the status of a buyer complaint:

1. Go to www.paypal.com and log in to your account.
2. Click 'Resolution Centre' near the top of the page.
3. Select 'Open Cases' from the drop-down list next to 'View.'
4. Click 'Status' next to the transaction.

After 180 days, we'll contact you with information on how to withdraw any
money in your PayPal account. You'll be able to transfer money to your bank
account or request a check. You can't withdraw it now because we want to
make sure that you have money in your account to cover any new payment
reversals.

If you'd like more information about our policies, please read our User
Agreement. Click 'Legal Agreements' at the bottom of any PayPal page, and
then click 'User Agreement for PayPal Service.'

Yours sincerely,

PayPal"

Needless to say, at this point, i was in shock, and totally devastated. I spoke to customer services at both eBay and Paypal immediately, with a view to making some sense of this situation but, whilst the chap at eBay was helpful enough to clarify that the Paypal situation would need to be resolved in order to have the limitation on my eBay account lifted (this, to me, made some sense), the lady i spoke to in Paypal Limitations was rude, curt, unwilling to discuss the reasons behind this decision (other than to repeat that this decision was final, and that no appeal could be made) and, eventually, hung-up on me.

At this point, the gravity of the situation hit me. Our eBay business was, potentially, dead in the water, with all the associated consequences for both me and those others involved. You will not be surprised to hear that, for a short while at least, i was in bits.

I called Paypal again later that day, in the hope that, by speaking to someone else, i might get more information and help on this matter. The lady was a little more forthcoming on this occasion, and even agreed that she could not see why this decision could of been arrived at, and escalated the matter back to the department responsible for this matter to be reconsidered. However, despite being asked for further information by Paypal again (which i provided immediately and comprehensively), my hope that this could all be a misunderstanding/mistake was only to last the day or so until their response arrived.

"We have reviewed your PayPal Account, and due to the excessive risk
involved, we would like to begin parting ways in a manner that is least
disruptive to your business."

Again, this left me totally devastated. A further phone call to Paypal proved pointless, as the operative simply re-itterated that this decision was final, and that no further opportunity for appeal was available to me.

This was confirmed by the following message from Paypal that arrived yesterday.

"We appreciate your interest in PayPal; however, our decision to leave your
account in a permanent limitation status is final.

PayPal reserves the right to limit access to any account reported to be
involved in possible fraudulent or high risk behaviour. In the event of a
dispute, PayPal will seek to recover the funds from you by debiting your
PayPal balance and, if there are not sufficient funds in your PayPal
balance, PayPal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by any
other legal means.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Yours sincerely,
Rudi
PayPal"

So, in the course of about 7 days, i have gone from having everything to having nothing, and due to reasons i am at a loss to explain.

From the very start of this eBay business 3+ years ago, we have being honest, courteous, transparent and genuine in all of our dealings, as our near-perfect eBay feedback and Paypal record would confirm, and Paypal thinks it appropriate to twist the knife in its parting shot by accusing us of "possible fraudulent or high risk behaviour"? Unbelievable. Surely, the ultimate example of adding insult to injury.

So, what on earth do i do next?

Our pristine eBay sellers account is entirely limited (i can sign-in, but cannot access any information at all) until this Paypal issue is resolved to their satisfaction which, now, it would appear impossible to do.

From what i can gather, i cannot set-up on eBay or Paypal again as our business/bank details will probably lead to any new accounts becoming linked and limited too.

I have a personal eBay account too which, as a consequence of the link to my business (it has a different name, address, email address and bank details, but shares a delivery address as, when not at home, i chose to accept personal deliveries at work) has also been limited. I can buy through it, but cannot sell until the issues relating to my business account have been resolved, so it would appear that my personal and professional life on eBay is at an end.

It would appear i have exhausted all avenues for appeal at Paypal and, despite all this extended correspondence with them, still cannot get any concrete reasons for our expulsion from, or contact with, those who saw fit to impose this decision upon us. I really am lost for words when it comes to the lack of transparency exhibited by Paypal throughout this process. For a company in their position, I really do not know how they get away with this kind of behaviour and practice, or that it is even legally sound.

All that said, any thoughts/help/advice would be gratefully received, as I really am at a loss as to what to do next.

Regarding the business, our cashflow has practically dried up overnight, but the bills and wages still need paying and, if nothing changes in the next week or so, i will be left with no option but to let the business go which, as you will no doubt appreciate, will truly break my heart (not through self-pity however, but due to returning my old friends back to the difficulties from which this business rescued them).

I had considered selling most of my more valuable personal effects on eBay to prop things up for as long as possible but, with my personal eBay account being limited, i do not even have this option left open to me.

My apologies for this post resembling "War and Peace" but, as i hope you will appreciate, this means an awful lot to me (and others), and i am desperately trying to find a solution to, what appears to be, an impossible situation.

Thank you for reading my story and, again, many thanks in advance for any help or advice you may be able to offer.

Warm regards.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-10-2011

Longevity: 76%

Oh sh*t

I cannot offer any good news apart from the fact you are among people who are not surprised and who empathise with you.

The first thing you must do is buy the stealth guide.

Then boil the kettle, make a nice cup of tea, relax and read it from beginning to end.

You are obviously articulate and knowledgeable and absorbing the information contained in the guide will not be difficult for you. It will require a change in your mind set and it will take some time to get back to the situation you were in - but it can be done.

First step is get the guide and become a subscribed member

From today onwards it will get a little bit better every day.
Old 05-10-2011

damn that sucks.... Ebay closes what they feel. Oh yeah and by the way Hello Forum!
Old 05-10-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Hello All.

Might i start by thanking you all in advance for any help or advice you might be able to offer us in this darkest of times for me, and my eBay business.

Until about 10 days ago.

Our modest success had led to us starting to sell our furniture internationally, as well as in the UK, through eBay and, most recently, we had sold a sofa to a gentleman in the South of France for £2000, for which he paid through Paypal. Courier (delivery) issues meant there was a delay in shipping this piece down to him as promptly as we would have hoped and, despite being in regular contact with him regarding this delay, he decided (without our knowledge) to open a Paypal dispute to register this fact.
What could his motive be in doing that IF you say you were in contact with him? What was his buying history like? Was his paypal verified & confirmed?

Quote:
Almost immediately he did this, we received the following message from Paypal.

"We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to
work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your
account until the issue is resolved.

We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal
account. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal as
quickly as possible.

What's the problem?

For reasons relating to the safe use of the PayPal service we need some
more information about some of your recent eBay and PayPal activity."
Not an unreasonable request from paypal considering this was an international transaction. They protect themselves more than you. And sadly this you have found out.

Quote:
Naturally, i was alarmed. Up until this point, we had always enjoyed a trouble-free relationship with Paypal, processing between £1000 and £5000 of payments through our fully-verified business account a month (we also have a dedicated merchant account with our bank, through which we captured the majority of payments directly from our clients). These payments ranged from a couple of hundred £'s for modest, basic pieces of furniture, up to several thousand £'s for more rare, collectable pieces but, in the 3 years we had operated this Paypal account, we had not encountered a single issue/problem, until now.
It takes one problem to ruin alife and an account.

Quote:
Almost immediately this Paypal message arrived, the following message landed from eBay.

"We have limited your eBay account as a precaution because our review of your account has identified an issue regarding its safe use.

As part of our efforts to provide a safe and secure environment for the online community, we regularly screen account activity. We never share exactly what gave us reason to place limitations on an account as this information could assist an individual, who may present a safety risk, avoid such limitations.

Please understand we're not accusing you of dishonest behaviour. Our top priority is to keep our online community safe, which is why we'd like to ask you for some further information.

If, once we review your further information, we're confident that the use of your account does not present a safety risk to our service and customers, we'll be happy to reinstate your account.

Here's what you need to do to resolve the limitations:

1. Log into your PayPal account.
2. Click on the 'Account' tab.
3. Click on the sub-tab 'Resolution Centre'.
4. Go to the 'Action' column.
5. Click on the 'Resolve' button to view the requirements and follow the instructions provided.

After we have gathered the necessary information, we'll review your account and notify you by email of our decision.

Please note that any selling fees owed to eBay may become due and payable

We thank you for your prompt attention to this important matter.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety
Ah the ebay doing the protect themsleves rubbish. Means nothing if they think you are compromising them

Quote:
I was stunned. Within the space of 15 minutes, our thriving, relatively long-standing eBay business had been stopped in its tracks.

In a state of mild panic, i followed all steps required without delay, providing both eBay and Paypal with all the information and documentary evidence requested, and took the action of refunding the whole of the £2000 Paypal payment back to the French client in order to resolve the outstanding dispute (against his wishes, as he was desperate to secure this rare, collectable piece) in the hope that this would restore the situation back to normality without further, undue delay
. Elaborate further. Did you get the sofa back? Answer might be useful in your defence.

Quote:
I was reassured that this had been the correct course of action when the following message arrived from Paypal.

"xxxxxx xxxxxxxx has closed this dispute.

Thank you for working with your buyer to resolve their concern. We hope
you found the PayPal dispute resolution process to be helpful as you worked
toward an agreement.

Any funds associated with this payment that may have been considered
'Disputed' are now available for withdrawal.

Thank you,

PayPal"

However, far from this being the case, the following message from Paypal arrived shortly afterwards.

"To protect all members of our online community, we must part ways with you.
We've reviewed your PayPal account and determined there is excessive risk
involved in doing business with you. To minimize the disruption to your
business, you can continue to log in to your account for the next 180 days.
PayPal"
Usual yada yada yada knife you in the back paypal speak.

Quote:
Needless to say, at this point, i was in shock, and totally devastated. I spoke to customer services at both eBay and Paypal immediately, with a view to making some sense of this situation but, whilst the chap at eBay was helpful enough to clarify that the Paypal situation would need to be resolved in order to have the limitation on my eBay account lifted (this, to me, made some sense), the lady i spoke to in Paypal Limitations was rude, curt, unwilling to discuss the reasons behind this decision (other than to repeat that this decision was final, and that no appeal could be made) and, eventually, hung-up on me.

At this point, the gravity of the situation hit me. Our eBay business was, potentially, dead in the water, with all the associated consequences for both me and those others involved. You will not be surprised to hear that, for a short while at least, i was in bits.
You would have better to hit your head against a brick wall.

Quote:
I called Paypal again later that day, in the hope that, by speaking to someone else, i might get more information and help on this matter. The lady was a little more forthcoming on this occasion, and even agreed that she could not see why this decision could of been arrived at, and escalated the matter back to the department responsible for this matter to be reconsidered. However, despite being asked for further information by Paypal again (which i provided immediately and comprehensively), my hope that this could all be a misunderstanding/mistake was only to last the day or so until their response arrived.

"We have reviewed your PayPal Account, and due to the excessive risk
involved, we would like to begin parting ways in a manner that is least
disruptive to your business."

Again, this left me totally devastated. A further phone call to Paypal proved pointless, as the operative simply re-itterated that this decision was final, and that no further opportunity for appeal was available to me.

This was confirmed by the following message from Paypal that arrived yesterday.

"We appreciate your interest in PayPal; however, our decision to leave your
account in a permanent limitation status is final.

PayPal reserves the right to limit access to any account reported to be
involved in possible fraudulent or high risk behaviour. In the event of a
dispute, PayPal will seek to recover the funds from you by debiting your
PayPal balance and, if there are not sufficient funds in your PayPal
balance, PayPal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by any
other legal means.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Yours sincerely,
Rudi
PayPal"

So, in the course of about 7 days, i have gone from having everything to having nothing, and due to reasons i am at a loss to explain.

From the very start of this eBay business 3+ years ago, we have being honest, courteous, transparent and genuine in all of our dealings, as our near-perfect eBay feedback and Paypal record would confirm, and Paypal thinks it appropriate to twist the knife in its parting shot by accusing us of "possible fraudulent or high risk behaviour"? Unbelievable. Surely, the ultimate example of adding insult to injury.

So, what on earth do i do next?

Our pristine eBay sellers account is entirely limited (i can sign-in, but cannot access any information at all) until this Paypal issue is resolved to their satisfaction which, now, it would appear impossible to do.

From what i can gather, i cannot set-up on eBay or Paypal again as our business/bank details will probably lead to any new accounts becoming linked and limited too.

I have a personal eBay account too which, as a consequence of the link to my business (it has a different name, address, email address and bank details, but shares a delivery address as, when not at home, i chose to accept personal deliveries at work) has also been limited. I can buy through it, but cannot sell until the issues relating to my business account have been resolved, so it would appear that my personal and professional life on eBay is at an end.

It would appear i have exhausted all avenues for appeal at Paypal and, despite all this extended correspondence with them, still cannot get any concrete reasons for our expulsion from, or contact with, those who saw fit to impose this decision upon us. I really am lost for words when it comes to the lack of transparency exhibited by Paypal throughout this process. For a company in their position, I really do not know how they get away with this kind of behaviour and practice, or that it is even legally sound.

All that said, any thoughts/help/advice would be gratefully received, as I really am at a loss as to what to do next.

Regarding the business, our cashflow has practically dried up overnight, but the bills and wages still need paying and, if nothing changes in the next week or so, i will be left with no option but to let the business go which, as you will no doubt appreciate, will truly break my heart (not through self-pity however, but due to returning my old friends back to the difficulties from which this business rescued them).

I had considered selling most of my more valuable personal effects on eBay to prop things up for as long as possible but, with my personal eBay account being limited, i do not even have this option left open to me.

My apologies for this post resembling "War and Peace" but, as i hope you will appreciate, this means an awful lot to me (and others), and i am desperately trying to find a solution to, what appears to be, an impossible situation.

Thank you for reading my story and, again, many thanks in advance for any help or advice you may be able to offer.

Warm regards.
I read War and Peace in French. Yours was easier to understand. Phone calls are always chancy with ebay/paypal. It has much to do with the IQ level of the person on the other end of the phone. The scenario is similar to others we have dealt with here.
Where does that leave you? Badly hurt I would say.
Couple of questions and feel free to reply by pm if you want

refund of monies for the sofa ensured said sofa back in your possession?
If so, who paid freight?

Dealing with attempting to resolve matters outlines, info faxed & confirmed as being received?

Phone calls to ebay/paypal to level 1 staff or to managers?
Any contact with T & S in Dublin?

I have an evil mind so please excuse the questions
Old 05-10-2011

Longevity: 78%
Send a message via MSN to GTB Send a message via Yahoo to GTB

sorry to hear about this lordbrowns,
but i`ve seen these kind of stories many times,
pp & eb dont care about you!!!
they are selfish people who care about one thing & one thing only £££££££......
now,you need to learn how to work the system,
get the stealth ebook,spread you business over numerous accounts
within a few months you could be making double of what you was making before
good luck
Old 05-10-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 76%

sad story but theres thousands more out there the same with many people in the same position.

go stealth its the future...you wont look back!

Old 05-10-2011

Sorry to hear about your story. It's no consolation I know but the same thing happened to me 5 weeks ago. I am just starting to get my s**t together thanks to the stealth guide but the trauma that this has caused is immeasurable.

Like Grannytranny said, buy the stealth guide, pop the kettle on then start reading - then make notes, read the book again and then double-check that you know what your are doing. I was still asking, in my own words, "Thick" sounding questions last night but now I am totally ok with the way forward.

You are not alone, you will get through this but be prepared, I am 5 weeks in and only just now starting to bring a little money in - some months I was taking over £3k per month, that is a lot of money to lose but hopefully I am now in a better place. From feeling like I wanted to scream and cry in the early days, I now feel really excited about the future.

chin up my boy, Churchill always had a number of different ideas up his sleeve in case the first one fell on its face - the stealth guide will give you loads of options to go forward.
Old 05-10-2011
Threadstarter  

Hello All, and thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the responses and messages of support given so far. I am on a pretty steep learning curve here, so please bear with me as i try to get my scrambled brain up to speed.

To answer the points raised in response so far............

The Sofa in question was never shipped to the client in the south of France due to difficulties the delivery courier was experiencing with his schedule around the double bank holiday, so it is (and was, at the time of the dispute being raised) always in our possession. That being the case, the full refund seemed to me to be the best course of action to take (Ironically, the client was devastated at this, as the sofa was super-rare and collectable, and has since decided to purchase it from us directly). At the point of the dispute, we were days from shipping when all this blew up so, in retrospect, i guess i should consider this a blessing in disguise. However, should i mention this fact to Paypal? Could it make a difference?

I have no idea about the Paypal standing of the purchaser, but his eBay feedback was comprehensive and at 100%, and has since proved to be a thoroughly good egg (he rang Paypal in France to complain at our treatment, who told him our account would be restored once the refund had arrived. I wish. More fibs) so my gut feeling is that the problem would not lie with him directly. You might, however, tell me otherwise.

Regarding our contact with Paypal, we have furnished them with everything they have asked for (confirmation of ID, Address and proof of ownership) but to no avail. Each appeal (of which we have had 2) has been declined without any further reasoning or explanation.

I have spoken almost daily to both Paypal and eBay (but more Paypal, as they seem to be the problem) but, again, without success. From what i can gather, i have found my way through to the limitations dept. at Paypal in Dublin most times (the accent was unmissable) and have spoken to numerous representatives, but am finding myself racing down something of a dead end so far. All they seem able to do is sympathise (or sometimes not, depending on their mood) and confirm that the decision to close the account is final and cannot be appealed any further.

This was, and is, the reason i decided to post on here. I really am running out of ideas, and am desperate to keep my friends in work if at all possible.

I will be fine, but it is them, and their families, that are giving me sleepless nights currently.

As ever, any help or advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.
Old 05-10-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

From what you said, it appeared the sofa was delivered after a delay. Strange he opened a disput although you were communicating?
Old 05-10-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

@GB, whoa what an analysis with commentary ha - like one of those books with notes in the margins hun =P

@lordbrowns, good write-up although sadly noted. Rest assured that you are NOT the only one targetted by this pa yp al / eb ay machine - their actions and decisions can be quite nonsensical and devastating - has happened to a LOT of people, whether small-time sellers or big businesses.

Your business is NOT done yet. Not you are the threshold of implementing "stealth" tactics to get back on eb ay. Read around the forums +/- get the Stealth Guide for its sheer simplicity in how to return to eb ay in a "different unlinked" user account. Once you have THAT creation down, you setup MORE accounts - you spread sales.

Yes, initially, business will be slow BUT you will backups ready - 10 accounts x some transactions over time will solidify your account reputation.

Now WHILE you do this, you chat up eb ay - you might have a chance to restore the eb ay account. Forget the old pa yp al and old buyers, etc - if you can get the eb ay account working, then we can discuss other ways for people to pay.

But right now focus on stealth and how to get BACK on eb ay without using your old jaded info.

All the best.
Old 05-10-2011
Threadstarter  

Thanks again All.

To clarify, the French buyer told me he felt compelled to open a the Paypal dispute in order to protect himself (and, more specifically, his payment) should the issues we were experiencing regarding shipping prove to be a terminal problem. His understanding was that he had to open a dispute within 4 weeks of making payment in order for that payment to be protected? Not even sure if that is true, but that was his rationale. In his defence, at the point he opened the dispute, it was 3 weeks since he made payment (it is not easy to organise for someone to deliver a 3m x 1m x 1m sofa to a far-flung corner of the French Riviera) so it made perfect sense to him at the time and, in fairness, he has been mortified at the consequences of his actions. Not as much as we have though.

As the consensus so far seems to be to explore eBay Stealth, i will buy as directed and get reading. To date, i have always been the kind of straight-laced chap who tries to do things "by the book" (no pun intended) so am a little nervous about embracing the dark side but, if needs must, then so be it.

In the meantime, all constructive thoughts on my situation as is are most welcome.
Old 05-10-2011
Threadstarter  

Thanks again All.

In response to rsot's message, how would i go about "chatting" ebay up with a view to being able to keep my existing ebay account?

I really don't know if this possible or realistic (probably not) but if i could keep the existing account (being identified as before, and with the long history of positive feedback that would bring, would certainly help in being able to reach our existing customers and followers, and in recruiting new customers to buy our very specific, high-value pieces in confidence) it would be of huge benefit, so i am willing to do whatever "chatting" needs to be done for this to be a possibility.

They tell me that unless i am able to resolve the issue related to the paypal account attached to that ebay account, the ebay account will remain permanently suspended. Also, it is my understanding that an ebay account has to have a valid paypal account attached to it for you to be able to buy and sell through it to any degree. Is this the case, or is there a light at the end of the tunnel, irrespective of how long the tunnel is?
(Alternative payment methods are already available, as we have our own merchant facilities through our bank).

Any help clarifying the above would be of great assistance.

Thank you.
Old 05-10-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

really sorry to hear this, so you have lost your entire income? never ever put your whole finances in their hands again, diversify, if necessary and if you need to, have another part-time income that would pay some essential bills if it happened again. I suggest read the Stealth Guide carefully and do nothing in haste. You can get back on ebay, if you want to.
Old 05-10-2011

Send a message via MSN to Superdude

Welcome to the forums

Very sad story but it happens to the best of us.

My advice to you would be to forget about that account as hard as it may be.

Listen to the wise people on this forum and buy that eBay Stealth guide.

Read it,read it and read it again.

You will be able to get back on your feet.This i am sure of
Old 05-10-2011

I'm not so sure going stea lth is the answer. His average sales exceeds what he'll get as a limit not to mention the 1900 GBP limit on PP. It'll just be endless paperwork and exercises in futility.

One thing I would do though, is to collect as many email addresses from the eB account. Collectors tend to be repeat buyers. He can always start a website and market directly to them. Instead of PP, there are plenty of other e-wallet processors. Don't start signing up for more accounts out of desperation, that would just give them more ways to link the accounts.

Last edited by stillselling; 05-10-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2011

Send a message via MSN to ShadyOne

Another story that shows how volatile eBay is when it is your only outlet.

Stealth is the answer if you want to get back to selling on eBay, though it wil take you some time to learn and apply the steps.

Anyway so was eBay your only outlet? I shouldn't just assume :D

Good luck in whatever you decide to do

Last edited by ShadyOne; 05-10-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2011
Red X

Longevity: 0%

<----- My belief, using PP Alternatives will allow ebay accounts to last longer

"sources" My Experience

Last edited by Red X; 05-10-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2011

Send a message via MSN to GTB Send a message via Yahoo to GTB

Quote:
now,you need to learn how to work the system,
get the stealth ebook,spread you business over numerous accounts
within a few months you could be making double of what you was making before
good luck
lordbrowns,
my statement about making double within a few months was optimistic & a little misleading,
i know you can do it but maybe a bit longer than a few months,
you sound like a determined individual who has alot of drive,
so,with the stealth ebook & a guidence from the forum`ites you will be able to get back to winning ways,im sure
all the best
Old 05-10-2011

What really makes me angry ebay is forcing UK customers to use paypal as the main payment option. In other words - no paypal no ebay. People in other countries and US have a choice in payment option but we dont.

Can someone tell me. Do paypal link your name and DOB (date of birth) to identify you?
Thanks
Old 05-10-2011

@lordbrowns, I'll break up my response into 3 parts, feel free to correct any factual errors.

I. Facts

1. On or about May 1, you were notified by PP that a buyer has file a dispute and your account has been limited.
2. Your eB account was limited as a result of the PP limitation.
3. You resolved the dispute by refunding the buyer.
4. You submitted all of the required documents to have the PP limitation lifted.
5. The account was reviewed and, you got the 180-day email.
6. You called PP and the lady told you to bugger off.
7. You called PP again and they escalated your case for another review.
8. You complied with all their requests for paperwork.
9. The appeal as denied.
10. You confirmed that there's no recourse with another phone call to PP.
11. The monthly transction volume on PP is a few thousand pounds. With average ticket in the hundreds to the occasion thousands.
12. Majority of payments are processed through your own merchant account.

II. Issues

1. As you look at the PP's resolution center, have you completed all the tasks?
2. Is your PP account negative?
3. Were you able to get PP to disclose that the ban was due to high risk and not potential fraud?
4. Would it hurt you finacially if PP were to keep a reserve for 60-days?
5. Do you have another sale venue with a proven track record to show PP?
Old 05-11-2011

Longevity: 86%
Default Sounds Mad

Man this is what its like with paypal and ebay,,,but after reading your story,it sounds like the buyer as done more then filed a dispute,,,,sounds like he must have said that your item was stolen or something on that line cos what they did to you seems far to harsh even for paypal.....btw i got banned again for opening 2 ebay accounts with one paypal lol so im on my sixth account with both of them again lol
Old 05-11-2011
Threadstarter  

Hello All.

I remain overwhelmed at the generosity and kindness shown by those who have taken the time to consider my situation, and to offer me the chance to benefit from their expertise and experience.

I learn something new with every response. At the moment, every day is a school day.

To those who suggest a more diversified approach to our business, i couldn't agree more. Our relative success had lulled us into a false sense of security about our position prior to these events but, rest assured, never again. A dedicated website was always in our plans, but has now become a priority.

You live and learn (hopefully).

In response to the posts by "stillselling"....

1. We have completed all tasks asked of us through the resolution centre at Paypal,
2. We currently have a £0 balance on the a/c,
3. Paypal have only confirmed that they consider us an "excessive risk" and of "possible fraudulent and high-risk behaviour" to date,
4. We could comfortably allow for Paypal to hold funds for 60 days,
5. We have a proven, extensive track record of sales activity through our Natwest Merchant account.

Hope this information helps?

In response to "stillselling"'s post, i shall be calling Paypal again today to offer to accept the terms outlined as being those they may accept. I will report their response as soon as i am able. Wish me luck. My experiences so far tell me i think i will need it.

Still, hope springs eternal.

Warm regards, as always.