GiffGaff Data Usage Suspension? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe
     

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-18-2012
johnnyleeds's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 451
Thanks: 29
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 89%
iTrader: (0)
Default GiffGaff Data Usage Suspension?

Hi folks!

I've heard about people having their GiffGaff phone account having its internet usage suspended due to 'tethering', I've heard about people on the GiffGaff forums complaining that they were banned from using the internet as they'd used over 20 gb per month - which was clearly tethering, however I'm now hearing about people having their mobile internet stopped by GiffGaff for using a lot less monthly download.

GiffGaff advertise 'unlimited' internet for as little as 10 per month, yet its clearly not 'unlimited' if they are stopping people using the internet on their phone just because they've used a little over 3 gb per month, and with Youtube / Iplayer etc all common features of most phones now its very easy to go over this limit.

I've been with GiffGaff for over a year now and although I dont use my mobile phone for tethering (I dont need to and wouldnt want to as I have Virginmedia fibre optic broadband which is a lot quicker) now I'm paranoid that I'm about to lose my mobile internet which will mean I can no longer use the internet on my phone for watching Youtube on the bus, or using Google Maps if I need directions plus checking my emails etc.

My data usage varys from under 1gb per month to over 6 gb in one particular month, although I'd say on average its about 2 gb per month. So far I've not had any problems, but the thing that worries me is that people who have been banned from using the internet dont seem to get any warning, its just one minute you've got internet on your phone, the next minute you dont, and they dont let you have it back! Seems pretty crazy eh? Really there ought to be some sort of warning if they think you are going over some limit, yet when the service is advertised as 'unlimited' what is the limit?

I've been very happy with the value for money that GiffGaff offers as a PAYG network, they're far and above the best value for money network for people like myself who can't get a contract phone, but if I lose the internet facility on my phone I'll have no other choice but to move to a different network which I'd rather not have to do.

Anyway if anyone knows anything about the limit for getting banned on GiffGaff is please let me know, I've tried asking about it on the GiffGaff website but I get conflicting replies, I dont know, maybe there is no definitive answer, but if anyone knows I'd love to hear about it.
__________________
DON'T LET THE B**STARDS GRIND YOU DOWN ! ! !
Reply With Quote
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

  #2  
Old 02-27-2013
stevebills's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,924
Thanks: 170
Thanked 108 Times in 99 Posts
Activity: 3%
Longevity: 74%
iTrader: (0)
Default

Giffgaff self monitor data usage and if its more than 3 gb a day they block you
with a message telling you they have .

Then you get on your hands and knees and say sorry youu wont do it again and they believe you and unblock youu okay


Best to get a gigabag and follow the rules on giffgaff

Last edited by stevebills; 02-27-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2013
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,497
Thanks: 62
Thanked 532 Times in 447 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyleeds View Post
Hi folks!

I've heard about people having their GiffGaff phone account having its internet usage suspended due to 'tethering', I've heard about people on the GiffGaff forums complaining that they were banned from using the internet as they'd used over 20 gb per month - which was clearly tethering, however I'm now hearing about people having their mobile internet stopped by GiffGaff for using a lot less monthly download.

GiffGaff advertise 'unlimited' internet for as little as 10 per month, yet its clearly not 'unlimited' if they are stopping people using the internet on their phone just because they've used a little over 3 gb per month, and with Youtube / Iplayer etc all common features of most phones now its very easy to go over this limit.

I've been with GiffGaff for over a year now and although I dont use my mobile phone for tethering (I dont need to and wouldnt want to as I have Virginmedia fibre optic broadband which is a lot quicker) now I'm paranoid that I'm about to lose my mobile internet which will mean I can no longer use the internet on my phone for watching Youtube on the bus, or using Google Maps if I need directions plus checking my emails etc.

My data usage varys from under 1gb per month to over 6 gb in one particular month, although I'd say on average its about 2 gb per month. So far I've not had any problems, but the thing that worries me is that people who have been banned from using the internet dont seem to get any warning, its just one minute you've got internet on your phone, the next minute you dont, and they dont let you have it back! Seems pretty crazy eh? Really there ought to be some sort of warning if they think you are going over some limit, yet when the service is advertised as 'unlimited' what is the limit?

I've been very happy with the value for money that GiffGaff offers as a PAYG network, they're far and above the best value for money network for people like myself who can't get a contract phone, but if I lose the internet facility on my phone I'll have no other choice but to move to a different network which I'd rather not have to do.

Anyway if anyone knows anything about the limit for getting banned on GiffGaff is please let me know, I've tried asking about it on the GiffGaff website but I get conflicting replies, I dont know, maybe there is no definitive answer, but if anyone knows I'd love to hear about it.
Giffgaff's 'Unlimited' data package has never allowed tethering, it is only for use on a mobile device i.e. a phone, it's always been that way.

That is why they introduced Gigabags and the 10 Goodybag with 1Gb of data that do allow tethering.

Providing your usage is purely on your phone and not from tethering and does not impact on other users then it is truly unlimited but as a guide keep it under 3Gb a day to be safe.
__________________
Success is not a matter of luck or chance but the result of the measure of probability
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 205
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 63%
iTrader: (0)
Default

20gb? where they watching porn?

i use giffgaff for every account plus all my browsing and never used anywhere near that amount
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-28-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 113
Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
iTrader: (0)
Default

Oh, giffgaff.

I used to love Giffgaff, 250 mins, unlt texts, free g2g calls, unlt internet for just 10 a month

Then they raised their prices so I switched.

I've never had such a slow internet in my life on Giffgaff, I would struggle to just load Google. I switched to Virgin Media now, allow tethering also.

They have better deals then giffgaff, better signal (they run off EE network not o2) and of course allow tethering.

If you guys think Giffgaff is good and have signal issues, make the switch to virgin mobile.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2013
Stigger's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,122
Thanks: 224
Thanked 350 Times in 299 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebills View Post
Giffgaff self monitor data usage and if its more than 3 gb a day they block you
with a message telling you they have .

Then you get on your hands and knees and say sorry youu wont do it again and they believe you and unblock youu okay


Best to get a gigabag and follow the rules on giffgaff

^that statment is 100% bang on^,,,,,been there done that time ago.
__________________
^The above is from a u.k point of view^


Bend it, Shape it, Anyway you want it...http://www.auto-professionals.co.uk/...lies/dance.gif
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2013
rsot's Avatar
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 73,160
Thanks: 5,777
Thanked 8,683 Times in 7,978 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 82%
iTrader: (7)
Default

Quote : I used to love Giffgaff, 250 mins, unlt texts, free g2g calls, unlt internet for just 10 a month

That would be a sweet deal if maintained
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2013
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,497
Thanks: 62
Thanked 532 Times in 447 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Quote : I used to love Giffgaff, 250 mins, unlt texts, free g2g calls, unlt internet for just 10 a month

That would be a sweet deal if maintained
It is maintained but it costs 12 a month now.

10 will get you the same call, text and g2g allowance but only 1Gb of data that can be used for tethering.
__________________
Success is not a matter of luck or chance but the result of the measure of probability
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-03-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 113
Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: GiffGaff Data Usage Suspension?

Virgin mobile is so much better then giffgaff. Try them out, they have better signal and better tarrifs, they also allow tethering
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2013
Stigger's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,122
Thanks: 224
Thanked 350 Times in 299 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
iTrader: (0)
Default

voda are doing xome right deals at the monet.

i use giffgaff for my day to day and 400 mins , unlimited txt and net for 15 quid a month is a good deal but for 20 you can get an unlimited sim from vodaphone,,, thats unlimited everything...calls..net...text.
__________________
^The above is from a u.k point of view^


Bend it, Shape it, Anyway you want it...http://www.auto-professionals.co.uk/...lies/dance.gif
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-04-2013
johnnyleeds's Avatar
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 451
Thanks: 29
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 89%
iTrader: (0)
Default

Well I still use GiffGaff, for 12 a month I get unlimited internet, and I get amazing download speeds - usually 4-6mb per second which is better than some people get with their landline broadband. I used to be with Virgin a few years ago and it was crap, expensive calls and no internet, dunno what its like now. Also I get payback with GiffGaff for getting my friends / family etc to join and since I joined 2 years ago its pretty much cost me nothing to use as I;ve made over 500 in payback so actually I'm in credit overall.
__________________
DON'T LET THE B**STARDS GRIND YOU DOWN ! ! !
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compare GiffGaff IP addresses please! johnnyleeds UK eBay & Paypal 13 01-24-2012 01:26 PM
Comcast Data Usage 250GB CAP( US) ? mercurial333 Everything Else 6 08-02-2011 09:23 PM
Ebay Bank Account Usage to Change back2ebaypls eBay Discussion! 6 09-03-2008 07:22 AM
Auctiva w/ Proxy Usage aaa1 EBay Tools and Software 3 04-13-2008 11:05 PM
Question on Virtual Phone Number usage MasterChief Subscriber Discussions 2 03-14-2008 11:18 PM


Aspkin Group

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Stop the guessing games and learn how you can quickly and easily get back on eBay today!
Read the best selling step-by-step eBay Suspension guide eBay Stealth!
Amazon Suspension? Read Amazon Ghost to get back on Amazon!
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger
no new posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58