Buyer refusing to pay for item. Worth complaining? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 10-01-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 71%
Default Buyer refusing to pay for item. Worth complaining?

I have just sold an old sat box of mine that was laying around the house on a stealth thats a few months old.

Clearly wrote in the description that the sat box was faulty and would require a new part.

Buyer never sent payment after the auction ended so I sent a message asking for it.

He replied saying he wouldnt pay for it because he "didn't realise it was faulty"

He said it was my fault he did not notice because I didn't list the item as faulty in the title, and also tried telling me the listing was against eBay rules because of this.

Really annoying because I did everything correct.

Is it worth putting in a case to eBay and complaining or should I ignore it and move on?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-01-2012

Longevity: 80%

Yes definately.

Open an unpaid item case so you get your fee's back.

The buyer will get a strike, it'll have very little impact on his account, but you'll feel better.
The Following User Says Thank You to meVebay For This Useful Post:
webman0812 (10-01-2012)
Old 10-02-2012

Longevity: 70%

Buyers generally seem to throw a hissy fit when sellers threaten to open a case against them. Just the threat alone gets them to pay in almost all cases in my experience.
Old 10-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

That`s the problem with selling electronics with faults in them - you will attract buyers who think they are getting a deal and them complain about not having read the auction...go figure.

Do the unpaid strike
Old 10-02-2012
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 71%

Cheers guys. Will definately be opening up a case with eBay.
He still might refuse to pay after that but it will make me feel better after being messed around.
Old 10-02-2012

Longevity: 90%

Hi Webman0812, you say you described the item as faulty in your description, but did you actually select the 'For parts or not working' option under 'Item Condition'? If you did then go ahead and open a non-paying bidder claim and get your listing and final value fees back.

If however you chose the 'Used' option under 'Item Condition' and just described it as faulty in your description then I'm not sure if you are covered. There is no point in pursuing something like this with a buyer over an item that probably sold for not a lot of money. I'd just forget about it and chalk it up to experience. After all you dont want to end up with bad feedback from the buyer.

If you described it as faulty in your description, but you didnt select the 'For parts or not working' option then the buyer might think they have a legitimate reason not to pay. Yes its a pain in the arse, but not worth losing sleep - or your good reputation on Ebay for.

hope this helps!
Old 10-03-2012
Executive [VIP]

Don`t forget to block the bidder on this and any accounts
Old 10-03-2012

Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by webman0812 View Post
Cheers guys. Will definately be opening up a case with eBay.
He still might refuse to pay after that but it will make me feel better after being messed around.
Isn't this drawing attention to your account? And for nothing but a kind of revenge?

Accept he made a mistake, and send a request to cancel the transaction. You'll get your fees back.

Unpaid item isn't the only way to cancel a sale and get your fee back but it IS the way to cause most conflict.
Old 10-03-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 73%

A very valid & important point.^^
Old 10-03-2012

Think what will happen next:

You open an unpaid item so, to avoid the action, he pays. He's cornered! Either he pays or he gets punished with a strike..

So.. you have to now send the item else you'll have a non-receipt claim against you.

Right, so he now has a choice to either shut up and put up and suffer a blow to his ego or fight back and save some face! He has absolutely nothing to loose by claiming a refund because it is faulty. It definately IS faulty, as you said, so it won't be wrong to claim - he'll let PP decide whether it was described wrongly as he believes.

PP notoriously side with buyers as they are the backbone of their business. In any case, the buyer is correct in saying that anything listed as "Used" should be fully working as that is the definition of eBay's catagory. It should have been listed as "Spares/Repair" - common mistake by sellers, easy to miss or overlook.

PP WILL side with the buyer and you'll be forced to refund.

The buyer will refuse to pay for return postage probably, especially for a low value item and you'll be forced to pay else he'll probably never send it back. PP won't care.

So, it's loose loose loose for you. Only way this will end ok is if he's a push-over. Might as well cut straight to that ok ending and offer to cancel the sale!

Hey, forgot to say he might leave a neg too.
Old 10-04-2012
Executive [VIP]

When you deal with high volume of sales, 1 neg. is not something to worry too much about. Worry about the profits.
Old 10-04-2012

Longevity: 73%

^^^ I have to disagree with you, whatever the volume of sales is you have to do all you can to prevent negs.

And even if sometimes it's unavoidable when you are dealing with hysterical buyers you have to do your best to have it removed, even if it means to pay for it.

A negative feedback means less sales and/or lower sale prices.

Feedback is money.
Old 10-10-2012

Longevity: 67%

Buyers cannot leave negs when you open an unpaid item dispute. That is the upside of it. Non paying buyers are the most spiteful of buyers, so blocking them from leaving feedback and then blocking them from buying ever again from you is in my opinion the best solution.
Old 10-11-2012

Longevity: 79%

Is it really worth it.

What are the fee's associated with the item ?

Disgruntled customers can we like a scorned woman

Remember its a new account you have on your hands, if this buyer knows anything , you could pi** him off and (long shot) but lose your account through his/her actions.

I would have asked if he would like to cancel

Bend it, Shape it, Anyway you want it...http://www.auto-professionals.co.uk/...lies/dance.gif
Old 10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfquest View Post
Buyers cannot leave negs when you open an unpaid item dispute. That is the upside of it. Non paying buyers are the most spiteful of buyers, so blocking them from leaving feedback and then blocking them from buying ever again from you is in my opinion the best solution.
As I see it, it's a game of bluff. As the seller you have only one card to play, the unpaid item complaint but it's a low card and within those 4 days they can trump it easily by sending the payment. Then you are at their mercy... they can open PayPal disputes, "not as described" disputes, and you'll have no guarantee they will return the item either (they certainly won't pay for return postage).

Just nip it in the bud early by telling the buyer that it is no problem and you will happily cancel the sale (and get your fees back). Then you can kindly offer to give each other good feedback for the misunderstanding! WIN - WIN.

Don't make life hard for yourself. Get yourself good feedback and praise for being a flexible and forgiving seller.
Old 10-20-2012

Longevity: 70%

move on. he is already a difficult buyer.