Someone trying to scam me out of £400 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 08-28-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Someone trying to scam me out of £400

Got someone trying to scam me out of £400. I sold a laptop which was brand new and sealed. 2 weeks later buyer opens case on paypal saying they've just realised they have received a completely different model to what they ordered and they think it's been used.

I messaged them back on the case right away saying it's not possible as i have only ever sold 2 models, model 1 I had 2 in stock and both have sold, model 2 I had 4 in stock and haven't sold so I've still got 4 left. I'm 100% sure i double checked the model number twice over when I packed it. Also it was defiantly security sealed and brand new I checked this when I purchased it.

The buyer didn't reply for a few days then replied with, I have pictures I can send them to you tell me how? also they are now claiming the model they received is the wrong one but the same model as my other ones which is a cheaper version of the one they purchased.

Again this is not possible. model 1 which they purchased I've only ever had 2 in stock. 1 sold 3 weeks ago and then they purchased the last one 2 weeks ago. At there time of purchase I only had 1 model for sale, so it's impossible for me to send them wrong one and it was only 6 days ago I received some new stock (model 2) and listed them on eBay.

I feel they've tried opening a case and making a load **** up and hoped for the best to try and get some money back. and after I've messaged them telling them it's not possible they've received wrong one, they've had a look at my account and seen I've got cheaper versions listed and now there changing the story abit to make it more believable to paypal by claiming they have received a cheaper version that I currently have listed.

Case has been open 6 days now still not received and pics of what they received, there account says there from Lithuania but they have a uk address that I sent to, also got zero feedback account was created a year ago.

Would be grateful for any advice not dealt with any cases like this before usually i sell low value items.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 31%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Someone trying to scam me out of £400

Only option really available to you is to let the buyer return the item for a full refund.

You could also offer to issue a partial refund if that would make them happy.

Totally sucks, but all part of business.
Old 08-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Sounds like they are going to send you some beat up Laptop OR they might end up switching out components. Electronics is probably the most scammed area of all.....Good Luck.
Old 08-28-2014
Threadstarter  

yeh they're defiantly up to something. do you think I should contact paypal? surely they'll be able to see that at the time of the buyers purchase I did not have or have never listed the laptop there are claiming to have received. also I'm a powerseller and have a year of sales and trust behing me compared to someone with and account registered in Lithuania but address in uk zero feedback. will they not put 2+2 together and see I'm getting scammed?
Old 08-28-2014

Longevity: 75%

Never use Ebay to sell anything you are not ready to simply give away
paypal simply side with the buyer 100%
Notebooks should be collected and paid by cash for a safer deal
Old 08-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

The buyer is in Lithuania??? Selling electronics is risky, selling electronics internationally is INSANE!

I'm not calling YOU insane, I'm just pointing out there is a HUGE RISK with these types of sales.

On new items that I buy for resale, all are lower value items (under $50).

I also sell rare and out of print books, some of which can sell for hundreds of dollars (I've even had a few sales north of $1k) but that category does not seem to attract very many scammers. STILL, I block international sales to the Middle East, Asia and Africa.
Old 08-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Yeah, I refuse to sell internationally or None-Verified Accounts, I don't even sell/ship to Canada.
Old 08-28-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

My problem with Canada is not the people. I've never run across a Canadian scammer. But the POSTAGE went through the roof awhile ago. Still, if a customer wants to pay the shipping, I will ship to Canada.

My problem with Canada is their CUSTOMS department. In the US, they are looking for counterfeits and illegal items. I get that, I understand that. But in Canada, they are looking for TAX REVENUE and they are DOUBLE-EXTRA GREEDY! Not to mention, they often take their sweet time about processing my items.

I can't count how many times I have received a message from a Canadian buyer (or even had a case opened) for non-receipt of an item and then had the item show up a week later! DRIVES ME NUTS! It does not happen 100% of the time, but maybe 30%. I nearly gave up shipping to Canada, but I reconsidered in the HOPE things will get better.

And, before anyone asks, NO, I NEVER mark items as a gift and I always put the actual selling price of the item on the customs forms.
Old 08-28-2014

Longevity: 78%

They did not sell internationally they posted to a UK address but the account of the buyer just happens to have been started in a foreign country.
They do not need to be overseas these days they can scam you from your own country.

I am afraid the best advice, to me, was to just ask them to return it and hope they send back something you can sell on.

I know common sense says that paypal should see that these people are scammers but common sense and paypal/ebay claims rarely meet.
Old 08-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

let buyer know you are having witnesses and filming return...they may drop the case if a scammer.

film the return, have someone with you to hold camera, watch the tracking so you know when to expect it, at the door, film the signing and keep continuity, and then ask carrier to wait 1 minute while you open box, still filming get close ups of product and any codes, film close-up of tracking label number (as it should match the one uploaded by buyer)....post on youtube for the case if needed.
Old 08-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,925 Times in 8,217 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
My problem with Canada is not the people. I've never run across a Canadian scammer. But the POSTAGE went through the roof awhile ago. Still, if a customer wants to pay the shipping, I will ship to Canada.

My problem with Canada is their CUSTOMS department. In the US, they are looking for counterfeits and illegal items. I get that, I understand that. But in Canada, they are looking for TAX REVENUE and they are DOUBLE-EXTRA GREEDY! Not to mention, they often take their sweet time about processing my items.

I can't count how many times I have received a message from a Canadian buyer (or even had a case opened) for non-receipt of an item and then had the item show up a week later! DRIVES ME NUTS! It does not happen 100% of the time, but maybe 30%. I nearly gave up shipping to Canada, but I reconsidered in the HOPE things will get better.

And, before anyone asks, NO, I NEVER mark items as a gift and I always put the actual selling price of the item on the customs forms.
That's rough to hear but for sure, the custom duties are annoying...I have had things shipped from the States and seller has marked gift for me - of course, my reputation as a buyer is solid on my buying account
Old 08-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
That's rough to hear but for sure, the custom duties are annoying...I have had things shipped from the States and seller has marked gift for me - of course, my reputation as a buyer is solid on my buying account
Does the gift thing work in Canada?

I recall sending to a Canadian as a gift thinking I would save them the charge, only for them to bitch about it, as it did not work like that in Canada and they had to pay for it due to being marked as a gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
let buyer know you are having witnesses and filming return...they may drop the case if a scammer.

film the return, have someone with you to hold camera, watch the tracking so you know when to expect it, at the door, film the signing and keep continuity, and then ask carrier to wait 1 minute while you open box, still filming get close ups of product and any codes, film close-up of tracking label number (as it should match the one uploaded by buyer)....post on youtube for the case if needed.
Heard of someone trying that before only to be ignored by paypap. They refused to watch it.

They also refused to request a copy of the buyers receipt for someone that had sent a recorded letter in replace of an item through the post. The difference in weight would have shown the scam but they just refused point blank.

Last edited by isitworththestress; 08-29-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post

Nope. paypal are refusing to deal with these. Too many got overdone.

Old 08-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Nope. paypal are refusing to deal with these. Too many got overdone.

Also I suppose the other side of the argument would be how would that prove what the seller sent to the buyer in the first place.
Old 08-29-2014

how about seller protection instead of buyer protection or both?
Old 08-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebills View Post
Smoking gunja early today I see.

There is an allegation that seller protection exists.

Problem is unless all boxes and a few more are ticked, a seller gets screwed by buyer & then paypal.

Fine line to stay 'safe' when a seller.

Old 08-29-2014

Longevity: 62%

i suggest you call paypal and let them know about this user.
Old 08-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebills View Post
When you buy at auctions they use the term buyer beware on ebay they just say seller bend over and apply your own Vaseline if you do not want this to hurt too much.
Old 08-29-2014

got it KY gel and one problem i have none left lol
Old 08-29-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
The buyer is in Lithuania??? Selling electronics is risky, selling electronics internationally is INSANE!

I'm not calling YOU insane, I'm just pointing out there is a HUGE RISK with these types of sales.

On new items that I buy for resale, all are lower value items (under $50).

I also sell rare and out of print books, some of which can sell for hundreds of dollars (I've even had a few sales north of $1k) but that category does not seem to attract very many scammers. STILL, I block international sales to the Middle East, Asia and Africa.
The buyers account says from Lithuania but there address is from uk. I sell internationally but only low value items.
Old 08-29-2014
Threadstarter  

Buyer has still not responded with any information or photos of the laptop. should I escalate the case to paypal to put abit of pressure on them?
Old 08-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler87 View Post
Buyer has still not responded with any information or photos of the laptop. should I escalate the case to paypal to put abit of pressure on them?
I wouldn't but others may know better.