Will new SIM card = new IP address? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 11-11-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 55%
Default Will new SIM card = new IP address?

Hi. I'm changing my SIM card, I'm getting one of those Lyca ones with unlimited data for a month, just wanted to know when my month on this one expires and I get a new one next month, (rather then topping this one up) will the ip for that one be the same as this one? I'm using it for a buyer account, not selling. Just want to make sure eBay don't link my buyer and seller accounts. So I'm going to use a different ip for my buyer account from now on.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-11-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,202 Times in 3,999 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Will new SIM card = new IP address?

You would only get a new IP range with a new ISP. So in this case you would need to get a new network provider.
Old 11-11-2014
Threadstarter  

Really? I wanted to access the account from the 3G service of my mobile, so I wouldn't be using my home router for this account at all,

I think should give more info on the situation. Basically I've messaged a few sellers asking if they would sell immediately for a buy it now as I need urgently and will pay via PayPal, I'm guessing one of them reported me now I got a mc006 through. Now I need to use the account but don't want to log into it from my own ip as it's linked to my seller account, so thought I'd get a new sim card just so I can log into that one and message some sellers when I need stuff urgently. Or just make a new account with the new SIM card and message them from that, although I would prefer using my own buyer account as it's aged and has good feedback etc, rather then starting fresh.

Last edited by Iron_chin; 11-12-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-11-2014
Threadstarter  

The sim card world strictly be for use with this account or a new one. And I only want to use the 3G data not my wifi.
Old 11-12-2014
Threadstarter  

So I just switched off my router and phone for a couple if minutes and upon turning back on and checking my ip it has now changed. Is this now going to be my new ip? Is turn off and back on again method a 100% guaranteed method of changing ip's?
Old 11-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_chin View Post
So I just switched off my router and phone for a couple if minutes and upon turning back on and checking my ip it has now changed. Is this now going to be my new ip? Is turn off and back on again method a 100% guaranteed method of changing ip's?
Its early and im half asleep so please forgive me if i havent understood your question properly :-)
I access accounts off a mobile device. I now have 4 mobile phones. Getting a.laptop at xmas.
I dont believe that the sim card will have anything to do with your ip coz as soon as you turn phone off, the ip would change anyway. But only a bit, to not cause concern.
I personally qouldnt access two accounts off one device.
I use 3 for selling and one for buying
Iron_chin (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014
Threadstarter  

Yes. I want to put the other sim card in another device. The other account will just really be for messaging people, so I don't really need to worry about address and stuff like that. I just want to make sure, should that account get some sort if ban/restriction it won't be linked to my selling account as that's my main priority.

I don't own a PC or laptop either and do everything from my phone/phones.

Thanx for the reply.
Old 11-12-2014
Threadstarter  

I typed check my ip on Google using two different iPhones and they are the same so I'm guessing a device doesn't have an individual ip, rather my router does. So everyone in my house has the same up right now I'm guessing.
Old 11-12-2014

I can only go by my experience...but here is an example using random numbers

My mobile network will give me.say, 154 132 86 01
If i remove that sim and put it into another phone, the ip does change, usually not.enough to.cause concern. So it may change to say 154 132 88 03

I write down the ips i.have.and then use the ip changer for a.mobile.network and keep hitting ip changer..... sometimes i get an exact match.
Though ive only had to do this a.couple of times.as i keep.my phones on all the time. If im caught short and battery dies, il get a.new one upon switch on, but again only a.marginal couple of digits change
Hope this helps. Its a chore with a.mobile device. Roll on xmas :-)
Iron_chin (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014

Longevity: 75%

one phone per account is fine for tethering and no need to change ip
but if u wanted to change ip click airplane mode on and off and this will change it
The Following User Says Thank You to stevebills For This Useful Post:
Iron_chin (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014

Quote:
I typed check my ip on Google using two different iPhones and they are the same so I'm guessing a device doesn't have an individual ip, rather my router does. So everyone in my house has the same up right now I'm guessing.
mine are never the same. Checked my sons a couple of nights ago and.we are different..All my mobile phones have different ips attached. I have them labelled lol so i dont accidently.sign into the wrong account on wrong.phone :-)
Iron_chin (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebills View Post
one phone per account is fine for tethering and no need to change ip
but if u wanted to change ip click airplane mode on and off and this will change it
Yes...that does work. Myself, i use a mobile network changer app. Out of habit i guess, but ive never.really needed to use it much
Iron_chin (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014
Threadstarter  

Ok do it seems you are correct. Just switched my phone off and back on again and now I have a different ip! Now my only question is, how do I make sure I don't use the same ip twice?

Also I'm going to open up my phone and pull out the wifi chip ( it's pretty old) so that way I never accidently connect to my home router again using that phone. Good idea yes??!!! :-)
Old 11-12-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooooo.halo View Post
mine are never the same. Checked my sons a couple of nights ago and.we are different..All my mobile phones have different ips attached. I have them labelled lol so i dont accidently.sign into the wrong account on wrong.phone :-)
Yes that's a good idea, saves you from having to delete cookies and stuff everytime. I'm guessing all your phones are running on 3G data and not your home wifi router?
Old 11-12-2014

Quote:
Ok do it seems you are correct. Just switched my phone off and back on again and now I have a different ip! Now my only question is, how do I make sure I don't use the same ip twice?

Also I'm going to open up my phone and pull out the wifi chip ( it's pretty old) so that way I never accidently connect to my home router again using that phone. Good idea yes??!!! :-)
I factory restored my phones and then.never added passcode to connect to wifi...so if i clicked wifi it would ask for code. You could get an app lock if you wanted and lock your wifi button

Write down your ip's.....if youre not using more than one account per phone, then i wouldnt be worrying aboutbthe subtle change from turning your phone on and off.
Its when you start accessing two accounts to a.phone, that i would be worrying. Dont do that and youll be fine :-)
Old 11-12-2014

Quote:
Yes that's a good idea, saves you from having to delete cookies and stuff everytime. I'm guessing all your phones are running on 3G data and not your home wifi router?
Yes....ALL mobile.network :-)
Old 11-12-2014
Threadstarter  

Ok guys thanx. I think I made it more complicated then it is. I'm not very tech savvy, some of the stuff I've seen in this forum makes me dizzy, you guys seem like braniacs, vcg's and vcc's, tethering, so on and so fourth! Lol

I just need to use a phone for each account one using home wifi, the other not. And thanx fir your tip about factory resetting, never thought if that I'm such a tool, was about to destroy a perfectly good phone. Lol
Old 11-12-2014

Quote:
Ok guys thanx. I think I made it more complicated then it is. I'm not very tech savvy, some of the stuff I've seen in this forum makes me dizzy, you guys seem like braniacs, vcg's and vcc's, tethering, so on and so fourth! Lol

I just need to use a phone for each account one using home wifi, the other not. And thanx fir your tip about factory resetting, never thought if that I'm such a tool, was about to destroy a perfectly good phone. Lol
Dont use your home wifi AT ALL for selling if that has been used for suspended accounts ever. They will in time link you. Ive stuck with mobile network all the way :-)

Last edited by ooooo.halo; 11-12-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2014
Threadstarter  

Hmmm. I might have already done that! It has been a while though. Can I just ask, what about logging into my email account?

For example I'm on the phone that is associated with account A but I accidentally log into the email account that is associated with account b on it, and reply to some eBay messages via hotmail,etc. Can this be linked back to account a? Since the ip I used to log into hotmail and reply to the messages of account b is associated with account a. I'm not logging into eBay, but I'm replying to eBay messages via hotmail. Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-12-2014

Quote:
Hmmm. I might have already done that! It has been a while though. Can I just ask, what about logging into my email account?

For example I'm on the phone that is associated with account A but I accidentally log into the email account that is associated with account b on it, and reply to some eBay messages via hotmail,etc. Can this be linked back to account a? Since the ip I used to log into hotmail and reply to the messages of account b is associated with account a. I'm not logging into eBay, but I'm replying to eBay messages via hotmail. Hope that makes sense.
I understand what you are saying...its just ive never replied to messages that way before.
However, i could be completely wrong here, the messages through hotmail are just an extension of ebay messages so to me, i wouldnt risk it.
Hang fire because someone else might be able to answer that one.
Just in my opinion....i would.never run that risk of accessing anything to do with ebay or paypal for two accounts, on one device. Hope im making sense here :-)
Old 11-12-2014

Just so i can get my head round this....
The messages that come into your hotmail from ebay...are you replying to those.
Or are you independently starting a.new email to email someone else.
It might seem like im.talking riddles....and hope you understand my drift here. I hate mornibgs
Old 11-12-2014
Threadstarter  

Yes I have been replying to emails from eBay sellers via my hotmail and sometimes even ebay itself, until today I recieved a mc006 for auction interference ( I'm guessing one of the sellers reported me). So I'm still going to send messages to sellers trying to get a better deal on something I need, only I've been doing it in a stupid way where I would log out my main account, log into my buying account and message them asking for a cash in collection deal, end early deal etc. and if they reply I would reply to them via my hotmail or via ebay messages if was logged in said account. Obviously I'm not going to do this now. I'm going to keep one phone/ip for selling and one for buying/messaging people trying to haggle. Because I don't want my main selling account being closed over something like asking a seller if he will "sell me the car headlights he has for sale at x price and I can come and collect so he doesn't have to pay ebay fees"

That's the general gist of one of my messages, lol. I'm guessing someone with too much time on there hands just reported me and at 12am I get a mc006 through asking me to "refrain from this kind of behaviour"

So yeah I need to start doing this properly, because I rely in ebay a lot to buy stuff I need urgent or stuff that is hard to come by.