eBay sent the debt collectors - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2016

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
Default Re: eBay sent the debt collectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidukken View Post
is it really worth to have some grumpy looking dudes turn up at your house?

Do they really send collectors to your home in the UK?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-19-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 63%

They could do yes

We have few types of bailiffs in the UK as well as 'debt collectors' who sometimes use the fact that people do not fully understand the rights or understand the difference between debt collectors and bailiffs

Pretty much anyone can become a debt collector and they do often turn up at houses demanding payment without any real authority behind them

Without a court order it would be these debt collector that get sent to a persons home.

Because they don't need to pass tests or be certified by the courts they tend to use all sorts of scare tactics.
Old 01-19-2016

Longevity: 66%

dont pay till you have to
Old 01-19-2016

Longevity: 60%

We all know paypal/eBay can be a pain but we have to work with them, that means playing by there rules. Just pay it if I was you, it may not be stressful now but the longer it goes on the more the fees are going to go up £80 quid could turn into £800 quid
Old 01-19-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
Do they really send collectors to your home in the UK?
Yes, if the debt warrants the action.

Quite a serious business too.

Old 01-19-2016
Executive [VIP]

Dmshark25

Here is a link for a UK debt collectors show on TV

Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away | Channel 5
Old 01-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

yes but 'cant pay' programme is court ordered, usually high court ones.
that is the different from debt collectors someone previously eluded too...addictive TV though - I watch it all the time!
Old 01-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%

I've had collectors/bailiffs visit me once, last year. Funny thing about it, wasn't even after me!

Did scare me straight tho, as they didn't look too happy at first! Then when they found out that the person that they are after moved out about 2 years ago they were super friendly and I even invited them in and let them use my WIFI because they had to contact the office but couldn't get 3G working.

They are just doing their job I guess, its a ****ty job, but they have to do it. I wouldn't like them turn up at my house, looking for me- Its their job to be super scary and they just go all in on the intimidation tactics. Kinda creepy, but I guess the people who need to visit are not really THAT nice themselves, if they don't pay the bills and avoid paying it until they need to send somebody in.
Old 01-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,041 Times in 775 Posts
Activity: 32%
Longevity: 81%

If you ever find yourself at the receiving end of an unfair debt to Ebay, people can use the template letter found here:

Sample letters to request a copy of credit agreement? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

They may after some time, pass the debt onto another company who will try again, you can then deal with them the same way
Old 01-20-2016

Longevity: 54%

Don't mix up balliffs/debt collectors/hce officers.

All have very different powers and very different roles. A lot will also depend on what the debt is for. A debt with a utility company like British Gas is actually the worst, as it is the only scenario I know of where they DO NOT need a CCJ to be able to force entry to your property as there is already pre-existing legislation allowing them to do it. Council Tax debts, police fines, etc.. are also more severe and they can also use a locksmith to enter.

Last edited by realdeals; 01-20-2016 at 08:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to realdeals For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

The bailiffs who work for HMRC are the worst. They can break into houses without gaining peaceful entry first

Then its high court enforcement who can break in a change locks to a house and take goods, but only with a CCJ and then a high court writ being issues and only when a house is being repossessed.

Then certified bailiffs who need to gain peaceful entry first, when they have done it once they can come back at a later stage and break into the house

Then you have the debt collectors who can do naff all really, but like to pretend otherwise.

Gas and electric companies can only break into a house to fit a prepaid meter when all other avenues have been exhausted, and they cannot take items (as far as I am aware), just fit a prepaid meter.
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
realdeals (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
Gas and electric companies can only break into a house to fit a prepaid meter when all other avenues have been exhausted, and they cannot take items (as far as I am aware), just fit a prepaid meter.
This is correct, they can only do it to fit a prepaid meter ,but they will load the meter with the debt. So if you owe £1,000 then that goes on the machine and has to be paid off at the rate they state before you even get gas. So if they say £20 pound a week for 50 weeks, then you need to put £25 just to get about £3 gas after they take their standing charge. You can't change providers during this time and if you move house then if the debt is over £500 it will transfer to the new house and will result in a new prepaid meter fitted even if the new home is supplied by a different provider.

Quote:
Then certified bailiffs who need to gain peaceful entry first, when they have done it once they can come back at a later stage and break into the house
This is correct also. Also a very good reason why you NEVER let a baliff into your home, and never keep doors unlocked and windows wide open.

Once a baliff is inside after making 'peaceful entry', (which isn't just a case of you letting him in, it could be him letting himself in through an unlocked door.), then he will try and make an inventory of goods you have to sell to cover the debt and baliffs expenses/auction costs etc.. He won't take the goods though, but let you keep them if you can agree with the people owed money to an installment plan, called a controlled goods agreement, or pay the whole debt off there and then. It is only if you don't keep up with the agreed plan he has the right to use a locksmith to gain entry to take the goods, after giving you notice. You can not sell the goods, or transfer ownership at this time, and any attempt to do so would be seen as contempt of court.

Quote:
Then its high court enforcement who can break in a change locks to a house and take goods, but only with a CCJ and then a high court writ being issues and only when a house is being repossessed.
Only thing I would add is they HCE can break into a business premise at anytime, using a locksmith. As long as any transfer from ccj to high court takes place correctly, which costs £60.

As for HMRC, I have not had problems with them and would really not want to mess with those guys or you will never get a moments peace. I just know a bit about the above as I am owed a fair bit by someone who is not paying despite court orders to do so, and so have been researching all the various possibilities and outcomes.

Last edited by realdeals; 01-20-2016 at 09:27 AM.
GreenBean (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

They have changed the window rule a few years ago (2014 I think)

It is worth noting that they can break into outhouse

They cannot make controlled goods agreement (walking possession order) if they cannot touch the goods. Some try to pretend that they can do it by just looking through the windows but that is not the case.

They can take a walking possession order of any items outside the house though (cars included) so long as you are the only owner. If even £1 is owed on a car to a finance company they cannot take the car

Yes agreed there. Business premises are exempt from all of this, which the council use to good effect when trying to get business rates owed to them

There are certain other goods exempt from being able to be taken by a bailiff (items used for work or for basic needs). They can take pets though!
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
realdeals (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%

Dawg, I wanna see a bailiff take my cat one day- My little furry ****face will wreck that bailiff, hardbody karate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haidukken For This Useful Post:
realdeals (01-20-2016), vetus (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016

Longevity: 75%

hes made his mind up he doesn't listen only talks
Old 01-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post

Unless there is an order from a court which you will have had the opportunity to respond to a debt collector has no powers at all tell them to sod off.

i held a rights of entry warrant for a national fuel supplier years ago. a debt collector has no powers or powers of entry unless you are stupid enough to let them in and then thay cannot take anything wthout bea a certified baillef worrking for the court and not ebay

when you get notice of disconnect from british gas it will have been issued with hundreds of others . unread by the court. once it arrives if you contact the court and ask for a judicial revue the court will grant that which will rescind the issued disconnect notice and British gas and leccy and council tax people will have to resubmit for a manual check by the court . at a cost to the utility company. Of course this is a delaying tactic B Gas always have ti=e option to disconnect in the street till the debt is paid. They usually make you pay the outstanding debt plus costs of reconnect a prepaid meter and after you aid all that they will probably insist that you pay one years money up front. before doing anything.

I don't think any laws have been changed much maybe codes of practice but Laws no.

Look on youtube for debt collectors calling for TV licence council tax and other debts. you dont have to let them in and you do not even have to respond to their questions. Ebat will not chase £80 through the courts its not worth their while. if a debt collector rings your number chances are they will be miles away from you. dont be fooled

Quote:

Unless there is an order from a court which you will have had the opportunity to respond to a debt collector has no powers at all tell them to sod off.

Last edited by JamesNorth101; 01-20-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2016

I think arktechs' 'goal for the day' was to get his post count up.
Old 01-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktech View Post
Any reason to repeat what you just said?

Chundering out posts day is it?

Geeze

Old 01-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeals View Post
I think arktechs' 'goal for the day' was to get his post count up.
Posting so close together in terms of time won't help that aim just fyi

The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
realdeals (01-20-2016)
Old 01-21-2016

Quote:
Any reason to repeat what you just said?

Chundering out posts day is it?

Geeze

no it was not my intention. thanks for patronising me im sure it will make the silent majority feel welcome to contribute.

geeze ? was that necessary ? you respond like paypal and ebay ?

consider trying to promote sales of the stealth guide and the friendliness of this site geeze .

Last edited by arktech; 01-21-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2016

Quite right. GreenBean after all never tells people to buy and read the stealth guide does she.
wired (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016

Longevity: 56%

Go chill and watch some Netflix.

Last edited by JamesNorth101; 01-21-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Closed Thread